• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Play-In Tournament

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's the opposite. If the 7 or 8 seed ever had any chance it would be unfair to make them play in. But since they don't, who cares which of the 7-10 seeds make it? It's just more fun and doesn't affect the outcome.

The playoffs are the real NBA season anyway, the more the merrier! Also, everything is a money grab, they ain't running a charity
Then why stop at 10, let the whole league in!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's the opposite. If the 7 or 8 seed ever had any chance it would be unfair to make them play in. But since they don't, who cares which of the 7-10 seeds make it? It's just more fun and doesn't affect the outcome.

The playoffs are the real NBA season anyway, the more the merrier! Also, everything is a money grab, they ain't running a charity

Yeah, the only time I think that it could be an "issue" is a season like this one where you have teams that were considered contenders to some degree or other ends up in a "play-in" game before they could gel and gets upset by a team that then gets swept or taken out in 5 in the first round. People love upsets, but ultimately they want to see the best teams in the finals.

But, how often is that likely to happen? Certainly not enough to scrap the idea.

If it continues to entice teams who would be tanking to continue to play hard and try to win, it should mean fans staying engaged longer which is good for those teams and the league.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the only time I think that it could be an "issue" is a season like this one where you have teams that were considered contenders to some degree or other ends up in a "play-in" game before they could gel and gets upset by a team that then gets swept or taken out in 5 in the first round. People love upsets, but ultimately they want to see the best teams in the finals.

But, how often is that likely to happen? Certainly not enough to scrap the idea.

If it continues to entice teams who would be tanking to continue to play hard and try to win, it should mean fans staying engaged longer which is good for those teams and the league.
Yes ironically this year is the rare example of a 7 seed with a real chance. But if they can't win one out of two home games vs mediocre teams maybe they aren't contenders...

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it.

They actually made each of the 7, 8, 9, and 10 have value.
They made sure that no one was content with just getting one of those 4 spots.

7- Needs to win one home game out of two tries
8- Needs to win one home OR one road game
9- Needs to win one home game AND one road game
10- Needs to win TWO road games

That is very cool how they did it. They somehow added very tangible value to those low seeds. Each seed is unique.

It made the end of season more fun.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it.

They actually made each of the 7, 8, 9, and 10 have value.
They made sure that no one was content with just getting one of those 4 spots.

7- Needs to win one home game out of two tries
8- Needs to win one home OR one road game
9- Needs to win one home game AND one road game
10- Needs to win TWO road games

That is very cool how they did it. They somehow added very tangible value to those low seeds. Each seed is unique.

It made the end of season more fun.
Not for Pistons fans :L

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

8 seed is winning it this year. Heard Steph's prediction is one-fo-fo-fo-fo.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it can go any other way really

It will be an exiting game against the Lakers. If Steph is on he can shoot any opponent out of it. But they've sucked on the road so I don't have high hopes. All things considered this was a great season for the W's. Just need one more piece + healthy Klay.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be an exiting game against the Lakers. If Steph is on he can shoot any opponent out of it. But they've sucked on the road so I don't have high hopes. All things considered this was a great season for the W's. Just need one more piece + healthy Klay.
It was fun seeing Curry go nuts all year, and Wiggins turn into a pretty good all around player. Sucks that Wiseman got hurt of course. They probably lose to the Lakers but then have another shot at the Grizz at home.

Will Klay plus Wiseman be enough to contend? They won't be favorites but we'll see. And they do have that Minny pick, maybe they get someone for that and Wiseman who knows.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already did not like the play in tournament, but seeding it 7v8 and 9v10 is just stupid. Why guarantee a playoff spot to the 9 or 10 seed? It is a disadvantage to finish in 8th over 9th or 10th. This is like referring every round and having the highest seeds play each other.
It seems like 7 should play10 and 8 should play 9. By virtue of the best record, it seems 7 should get rewarded by playing 10

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the winner of 7-8 plays the loser of 9-10?
No the winner of 7-8 is the 7 seed. The 7- 8 teams only have to win one out of two games to make the playoffs. The 9-10 have to win 2 games. That gives a lot of benefit to being 8 instead of 9, as it should be.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the winner of 7-8 is the 7 seed. The 7- 8 teams only have to win one out of two games to make the playoffs. The 9-10 have to win 2 games. That gives a lot of benefit to being 8 instead of 9, as it should be.
Sounds like the only important game is game 2. They could sit everyone tonight and beta the Grizzlies or Spurs and get in anyway. Interesting but it seem convoluted. I'm glad the Warriors won't be one and done though