• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies 2021 season thread

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While watching the Cards- Dodgers tonight I can't help but realize how many miles away the Phillies are from these premier pitching staffs that are tuned for perfection.
Last 5 innings the Cards have had go ahead run on and they pitched out of it. The difference between the 08 Phillies and the other teams in that run was the elite pen. You’re right. We’re a long way from that place right now.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the Dildoes are the predominant team now and unless the Bull Pen changes for the better, the Dildoes will continue to be the dominant team.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 5 innings the Cards have had go ahead run on and they pitched out of it. The difference between the 08 Phillies and the other teams in that run was the elite pen. You’re right. We’re a long way from that place right now.
Yeah, that's definitely one of the differences. But the pitching on this team was not helped at all by the weak defense they had most of the year. I know it's a cliche but all the best Phillies teams had great defense up the middle. Ruiz, Utley ,Rollins and Victorino were so solid. But I agree they will need to find a way to put together a much better bullpen.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's definitely one of the differences. But the pitching on this team was not helped at all by the weak defense they had most of the year. I know it's a cliche but all the best Phillies teams had great defense up the middle. Ruiz, Utley ,Rollins and Victorino were so solid. But I agree they will need to find a way to put together a much better bullpen.
Great point on the defense played. I commented to friends all summer that Bohm, Didi, Segura, Rhys may be the worst defensive infield I’ve seen in my time as a Phil’s fan. Man, I really miss sound fundamental baseball.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Phillies give Conforto a shot? He's a free agent this year and he's got great numbers at CBP. Probably won't be too expensive after a mediocre season.

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Phillies give Conforto a shot? He's a free agent this year and he's got great numbers at CBP. Probably won't be too expensive after a mediocre season.
Hmmm... that is an interesting idea. I agree that with him coming off a mediocre year he could probably be gotten for not a whole ton of money. I might pull the trigger on a two-year deal, but probably wouldn't go three years unless it was a really cheap deal (like $35-$40 million guaranteed).

Did you hear that apparently Dombrowski is looking to replace Didi at short? That'll be interesting to see if it actually happens.

I think we should bring back Hector. He actually looked really good when he wasn't closing ball games. I'm glad that he broke the Phillies' franchise record for strikeouts by a reliever.

Cutch is gone, Bohm will probably be given another shot at 3B. We need to shore up the pen and add at least 1 more good starter (not the Matt Moore/Chase Anderson pig slop we got last offseason). The big question marks will be Didi and Odubel. I could see both sides of keeping or parting with both players (though Didi will be a bit difficult to move).

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE need lots of help and the focus on Pitching should be excessive and wide-ranging. Replacing other players in the in/outfield can be added as we go.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm... that is an interesting idea. I agree that with him coming off a mediocre year he could probably be gotten for not a whole ton of money. I might pull the trigger on a two-year deal, but probably wouldn't go three years unless it was a really cheap deal (like $35-$40 million guaranteed).

Did you hear that apparently Dombrowski is looking to replace Didi at short? That'll be interesting to see if it actually happens.

I think we should bring back Hector. He actually looked really good when he wasn't closing ball games. I'm glad that he broke the Phillies' franchise record for strikeouts by a reliever.

Cutch is gone, Bohm will probably be given another shot at 3B. We need to shore up the pen and add at least 1 more good starter (not the Matt Moore/Chase Anderson pig slop we got last offseason). The big question marks will be Didi and Odubel. I could see both sides of keeping or parting with both players (though Didi will be a bit difficult to move).
Yeah I was thinking maybe they buyout Cutch's contract then bring him back for a lesser amount and kind of platoon him with Conforto. McCutchen killed lefties all year. But it's also possible that Vierling could actually be the outfielder from the Phillies farm system that actually breaks through to become a good major leaguer. I"m trying to remember the last one we had. Harper and McCutchen are free agents, Odubel I think was a rule 5. Dom Brown had that one good month. Have we drafted and kept an outfielder since Pat Burrell?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE need lots of help and the focus on Pitching should be excessive and wide-ranging. Replacing other players in the in/outfield can be added as we go.
I agree. I really like the first four starters in Wheeler, Nola, Gibson and Suarez but in this day and age you need a lot more than that due to injuries and pitch counts and whatever. And obviously the bullpen needs major help.

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I really like the first four starters in Wheeler, Nola, Gibson and Suarez but in this day and age you need a lot more than that due to injuries and pitch counts and whatever. And obviously the bullpen needs major help.
I must be a lot higher on Zach Eflin than you are. I think he's arguably equal to Nola at this point, ignoring his injury this year.

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I was thinking maybe they buyout Cutch's contract then bring him back for a lesser amount and kind of platoon him with Conforto. McCutchen killed lefties all year. But it's also possible that Vierling could actually be the outfielder from the Phillies farm system that actually breaks through to become a good major leaguer. I"m trying to remember the last one we had. Harper and McCutchen are free agents, Odubel I think was a rule 5. Dom Brown had that one good month. Have we drafted and kept an outfielder since Pat Burrell?
Did we draft Michael Bourn? He didn't stick around here forever but he did prove to be a very good outfielder for a number of years. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.

Also, wasn't Burrell drafted as a first baseman at the time too?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must be a lot higher on Zach Eflin than you are. I think he's arguably equal to Nola at this point, ignoring his injury this year.
Yeah I do like Eflin, but the thing that always worries me about him is his splits against lefties. It seems like certain teams good just load up on lefties like they did against Arietta the last couple years.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pivetta stars in ALDS for Red Sox striking out seven Rays in four late innings of relief to gain the win and give Boston a 2-1 lead in the 5-game series. The bastard never did that for us. :noidea:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is because, jvett, he knew when he came to the Phillies that there exists a losing lunacy or culture that he decided he wasn't going to give his all for any amount of money. When he left, he resumed his winning career. I am quite sure the players are all aware of it and this is yet another reason the Dildoes will always be the dominant team in Philadelphia until somebody removes the causes of this cancer. All of the peeps who were responsible for the winning culture of the Phillies of the past have moved on and until somebody cleans this mess up from top-to-bottom, you can kiss-off any hopes of the Philadelphia Phillies contending for a championship for the foreseeable future.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to do something, retro. Even Kapler found success on leaving.

Pivetta's ERA averaged over 5 in his four years with the Phillies, his first team. He goes to the Sox a team with a winning tradition, wins his first 2, then starts 2021 at 9-1 and suddenly he's a winner. They scored a lot of runs for him and that will give a pitcher a boost in confidence. Even though he tailed off later in the season, he knew he was with a winner, probably better coaching too. It would be fun asking Pivetta what's the problem with the Phillies.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure any ex-Dildoe/Phillie will tell you exactly what the problem is in Philadelphia, jvett. It starts with the ownership and moves down to the Farm System. Billy Bean's Money Ball proved that when you rid a franchise of big money players like Bryce and others, you start with people who want to play the game to win. When people don't give a shit about the game and the focus is money, than you have the Dildoes.

Right now, there is this culture of: "I don't give a flying flip about winning, I want paid big money". And that is the extent of it. Very few are held accountable and the inmates are running the asylum. You start with rebuilding the inherent attitudes that now exist. Clean it all out. Get rid of jackasses that refuse to come to the ballpark and want to give their best effort until the game is over. Night-in and Night-out. Winning begets winning. Losing has the opposite effect.

Compliance to get paid is the norm here. Accountability is absent. Managers are flaccid limp dicks that do little or nothing. Mediocracy is rewarded. Exceptionalism isn't even considered. When there is a chance to improve the franchise, the FO and Ownership are absent. So until this mess in its entirety is eradicated, the cancer will continue and as long as people still go to the ballpark and the TV money is there, nothing will change.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pivetta stars in ALDS for Red Sox striking out seven Rays in four late innings of relief to gain the win and give Boston a 2-1 lead in the 5-game series. The bastard never did that for us. :noidea:
He had a few good games with us, just never had the consistency. Here's a fun fact now that he finished a game for the Red Sox. The Phillies got him from the Nationals for Jonathan Papelbon. It's the circle of life, or something.

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we draft Michael Bourn? He didn't stick around here forever but he did prove to be a very good outfielder for a number of years. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank.

Also, wasn't Burrell drafted as a first baseman at the time too?
I looked this up, we did draft Bourn, so I guess he was the last good outfielder we've drafted. And we drafted him in 2003. Lol