• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Mickelson - Do you like him?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have followed Phil for a long time and have always been a big fan. But there is no question that there is truth to this. It in no way means that Phil is fake. But he is not as "wholesome" as sometimes he is made out to be.

All the proof is there. For heavens sake his nickname is the gambler. He is forever taking risky shots,(which is telling) and i don't know any player on the tour who is more into playing for money between pros.

I can see Phil as kinda the ringleader of the tour veterans who would force some rookie to do tequila shots and miss his morning tee time. ..or he would lie to some rookie that it's tradition that before your first round at Augusta you have to piss off Hogans bridge.

Fake...just the messenger, (not 1st hand at that) and not my opinion if you will...if anything, Phil is guarded of his public persona...nothing wrong with that imo. On the golf DB I used to frequent until it just got out of control and got shut down...the Tiger lovers always called Phil fake, and the Phil lovers called Tiger a lot of things as you can probably imagine...on the course...I liked both players...off it...don't know, and don't care.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fake...just the messenger, (not 1st hand at that) and not my opinion if you will...if anything, Phil is guarded of his public persona...nothing wrong with that imo. On the golf DB I used to frequent until it just got out of control and got shut down...the Tiger lovers always called Phil fake, and the Phil lovers called Tiger a lot of things as you can probably imagine...on the course...I liked both players...off it...don't know, and don't care.

I read one article where the reporter was talking about how he interviewed him when he was at ASU. Phil was talking about how players should look at how Palmer carried himself and take the PR side of the game seriously.

I always liked him after that open letter he wrote when people were bagging him on a particular club selection late in the U.S. open before he was winning majors. Some of them were bagging Bones for handing him that club, some of them were bagging him about course management, but he just went back at them. He said:

1. Bones has never made a club selection for him
2. He didn't have the club in the bag that people were telling him to use
3. He listed a bunch of golfers who he acknowledged were great and stated how many more tournaments he's won than them.

Phil took a lot more heat for not being Tiger Woods than anybody even though Els, Vijay, and him were the only guys who could come close to holding a candle to Tiger. He played against the best player ever and still won a shit ton of tournaments. What else do you want from a guy? 5 majors and 42 tour wins isn't enough for people?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read one article where the reporter was talking about how he interviewed him when he was at ASU. Phil was talking about how players should look at how Palmer carried himself and take the PR side of the game seriously.

I always liked him after that open letter he wrote when people were bagging him on a particular club selection late in the U.S. open before he was winning majors. Some of them were bagging Bones for handing him that club, some of them were bagging him about course management, but he just went back at them. He said:

1. Bones has never made a club selection for him
2. He didn't have the club in the bag that people were telling him to use
3. He listed a bunch of golfers who he acknowledged were great and stated how many more tournaments he's won than them.

Phil took a lot more heat for not being Tiger Woods than anybody even though Els, Vijay, and him were the only guys who could come close to holding a candle to Tiger. He played against the best player ever and still won a shit ton of tournaments. What else do you want from a guy? 5 majors and 42 tour wins isn't enough for people?

This why is have no problems with Phil...as great as he is as a golfer...he now makes far more money off the course than on it...protecting his image is worth it...period. Based on your post above...he learned from maybe the best eve on branding and image building...Arnie is still cashing in on his name today and he hasn't played worth a damn in 20 yrs.

Tiger may not be the best ever, but he was clearly the best of his era and no worse than top 2alltime, but aside from Nike his sponsorship cash all but dried up when he went thru his period of stupidity...there's a reason that Michael Jordan chose to be non-political in public and stayed away from controversy...just too much money at stake.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all need to realize that golf is an individual sport and therefore it's ALL on you. Somedays are good and somedays are not - these guys are out doing their job regardless and it ain't easy. All of these guys can be assholes. Some of them are great guys 95% of time, but you might see that 1 moment where they just 3 putted and are pissed.

Don't judge a guy by 1 moment is all I'm saying. Now if it's like Tiger and consistent asshole, that's different.

Well said.

I've rooted for Phil since he hit the PGA Tour for several reasons.

One is that he is generally a happy guy, one who interacts positively with the gallery and individual fans and..........

Two because he was/is a bit of a crazy man when it comes to scrambling out of trouble. Since I have no vested interest in his failures I really enjoy watching him go for it.