• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Mickelson - Do you like him?

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that a lot of people love Phil and think he's such a great guy, but there is this distinguished group of people who absolutely hate the guy and I've never really heard anyone explain why.

Do you like him? Do you hate him? Why?

I'll reserve my opinion for right now.
I love the guy and have since he was in college. He still hits shots we can relate to , like bouncing the one off the grandstand roof last weekend. I've read a million times over the yrs how well he treats fans. It's known by all he is signing for and talking with fans 2 hrs after everyone is gone. He does this week in and out. Not enough pros in any sport do this or even consider doing it. Overall I believe he's a good guy who appreciates what he has and knows the responsibilities that come with being who he is.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I've heard about Phil that I think has some validity based on the source is that he's somewhat of a fake...not quite the same guy off camera.
This is not true. Phil is very courteous to his fans.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not true. Phil is very courteous to his fans.

I hear you. He was great with our gallery when we followed him at the Bellsouth.

This is coming from a PGAT insider, not me. He really wasn't critical of Phil, a person called his Sat. Morning radio show, and inquired about Mickelson being fake...(those rumors have been out there from other players supposedly)

He said, no he's a great guy, but he did add that he's not the same guy when the cameras are not rolling....He didn't elaborate as to what that meant, but I probably wouldn't be either. No one is always in a good mood, always happy, jovial.

I think more than anything, he was trying to say that Phil is not always like the guy we see on camera...he tells dirty jokes, and does regular guy type stuff...he wasn't saying Phil is an a-hole off camera.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil sets a better example than Tiger does. How often have you ever seen Phil throw a fit or shout a vulgarity when golfing in a PGA event.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil sets a better example than Tiger does. How often have you ever seen Phil throw a fit or shout a vulgarity when golfing in a PGA event.
Very true. If we want to talk about one of the most misrepresented players in history then let's talk about Ben Crenshaw. TV wants us to believe he's such a wonderful human , we could only dream of being as perfect as Gentle Ben. Fact is he's one of the biggest assholes to ever walk a course. Treats people like shit and is proud of it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Inevitable..a Tiger comparison to make Phil look better.

Phil doesn't need it fellas....he's human like the rest of us...he's let f-bombs fly too...you just don't catch it on camera or mic.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorite trolls from the ESPN days was "PhilipAlfred's44DDs"

I like that FIGJAM has won quite a few majors for the US. That plastic cheese smile is a little frightening sometimes, though. It always kind of looks like this:
il_214x170.920953114_gnaa.jpg

Compare:
mickelson_3.jpg
Very-Phil-very-Augusta-as-Mickelson-closes-HO196DMM-x-large.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. If we want to talk about one of the most misrepresented players in history then let's talk about Ben Crenshaw. TV wants us to believe he's such a wonderful human , we could only dream of being as perfect as Gentle Ben. Fact is he's one of the biggest assholes to ever walk a course. Treats people like shit and is proud of it.

I've met Crenshaw and Bill Coore...it doesn't surprise me if true...We were at one of his golf courses openings and he was very cordial, courteous, shook hands, smiled a lot...talked a few people and that was it...lasted about an hour and a half or so.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's not to like about Lefty?

Hate him cuz he gambles? If you knew half of what the old timers did (drank, gamble) then I guess you wouldn't like them either.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it interesting that a lot of people love Phil and think he's such a great guy, but there is this distinguished group of people who absolutely hate the guy and I've never really heard anyone explain why.

Do you like him? Do you hate him? Why?

I'll reserve my opinion for right now.
I like him and used to root for him all the time but I got tired of all the choking and the stupid decisions that always seem to cost him wins.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've met Crenshaw and Bill Coore...it doesn't surprise me if true...We were at one of his golf courses openings and he was very cordial, courteous, shook hands, smiled a lot...talked a few people and that was it...lasted about an hour and a half or so.
a friend of mine used to volunteer at a PGA event yrs ago. He met a lot of guys along the way and said Crenshaw stands out like no other. He was gentle Ben around the cameras but when the cameras are off he treats people like fuckin garbage

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a friend of mine used to volunteer at a PGA event yrs ago. He met a lot of guys along the way and said Crenshaw stands out like no other. He was gentle Ben around the cameras but when the cameras are off he treats people like fuckin garbage

I volunteered at the Tour Championship @ Eastlake for a couple of years helping a friend actually...we ran into a few players that were a-holes...so yes, I can believe it...we're all fucked up to a degree...just no one has a camera on us. Some guys are pretty good at protecting their public image.

The worst on course situation I've dealt with personally on the was with Scott Hoch. Practice round and my nephew (maybe 12 at the time) bought a golf cap and we were getting players to sign it...Hal Sutton, Hoch and I'm forgetting the 3rd guy, Euro...they had just finished a hole and were walking to the next tee. We approach them and Sutton signed it first and talked to the kid for a second...same with said Euro...we gave it to Hoch as he was walking, he never made eye contact, never stopped walking, signed and without looking flipped the cap backwards...basically he threw it on the ground...I'm like wtf!

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I volunteered at the Tour Championship @ Eastlake for a couple of years helping a friend actually...we ran into a few players that were a-holes...so yes, I can believe it...we're all fucked up to a degree...just no one has a camera on us. Some guys are pretty good at protecting their public image.

The worst on course situation I've dealt with personally on the was with Scott Hoch. Practice round and my nephew (maybe 12 at the time) bought a golf cap and we were getting players to sign it...Hal Sutton, Hoch and I'm forgetting the 3rd guy, Euro...they had just finished a hole and were walking to the next tee. We approach them and Sutton signed it first and talked to the kid for a second...same with said Euro...we gave it to Hoch as he was walking, he never made eye contact, never stopped walking, signed and without looking flipped the cap backwards...basically he threw it on the ground...I'm like wtf!
funny you mentioned that ,haven't heard Hoch's name in a long time. If memory serves , he was indeed a well known jerk

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hate him cuz he gambles? If you knew half of what the old timers did (drank, gamble) then I guess you wouldn't like them either.

I like Phil...who doesn't like to put a little coin on the round to keep your attention.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got my attention at The Masters...so would anyone else who could hit a 5 iron around a tree, off of pine straw, into a par 5 across water and onto the green in 2, result was unbelievable.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You all need to realize that golf is an individual sport and therefore it's ALL on you. Somedays are good and somedays are not - these guys are out doing their job regardless and it ain't easy. All of these guys can be assholes. Some of them are great guys 95% of time, but you might see that 1 moment where they just 3 putted and are pissed.

Don't judge a guy by 1 moment is all I'm saying. Now if it's like Tiger and consistent asshole, that's different.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got my attention at The Masters...so would anyone else who could hit a 5 iron around a tree, off of pine straw, into a par 5 across water and onto the green in 2, result was unbelievable.

Considering he was hitting an iron and the ball was sitting clean...I can see a few guys taking that shot on...he was fairly close to the gap between the trees so as long as he didn't mishit the ball idt the trees were in play for him...us...yes.

Now the result Phil got...imo only a handfull of guys on tour could do that...a younger Tiger, Bubba come to mind...smal group for sure.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard that way back in the day there was more money on the line on Tuesdays or Wednesdays than there was on Sundays. Those old timers loved to gamble.

I like Phil. There was an interview back when he was in college and he was talking about how Palmer carried himself. He said that he wanted to carry himself like Palmer did and that was good for the game. Who cares if maybe he's faking it. At least he's trying.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless a guy's a raging asshole I don't really care if they lose it every now and again. Our entertainment is their job. What does bug me is when they're rude to the people trying to help them out like the volunteers. That's part of the show and everybody deserves a little bit of respect if they're trying to chip in and put on a good show.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you. He was great with our gallery when we followed him at the Bellsouth.

This is coming from a PGAT insider, not me. He really wasn't critical of Phil, a person called his Sat. Morning radio show, and inquired about Mickelson being fake...(those rumors have been out there from other players supposedly)

He said, no he's a great guy, but he did add that he's not the same guy when the cameras are not rolling....He didn't elaborate as to what that meant, but I probably wouldn't be either. No one is always in a good mood, always happy, jovial.

I think more than anything, he was trying to say that Phil is not always like the guy we see on camera...he tells dirty jokes, and does regular guy type stuff...he wasn't saying Phil is an a-hole off camera.

I have followed Phil for a long time and have always been a big fan. But there is no question that there is truth to this. It in no way means that Phil is fake. But he is not as "wholesome" as sometimes he is made out to be.

All the proof is there. For heavens sake his nickname is the gambler. He is forever taking risky shots,(which is telling) and i don't know any player on the tour who is more into playing for money between pros.

I can see Phil as kinda the ringleader of the tour veterans who would force some rookie to do tequila shots and miss his morning tee time. ..or he would lie to some rookie that it's tradition that before your first round at Augusta you have to piss off Hogans bridge.