• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Manning's bogus 1st downs

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear to God if fucking Mike Pereira pops up just ONE time this year to try and sell me on how it's OK that the Lions just got fucked again, I'm going to snap.
I fear for anyone around u at that moment in time. ;)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. It's not about Peyton Manning being an awful playoff QB. It's about the refs missing really easy and obvious calls. We just went through a huge public humiliation campaign against those replacement refs now we have the saviors of the NFL missing basic incomplete passes and not noticing guys falling to the turf. I watch college too, not just the NFL. A lot of this shit never happens in college. It's an NFL thing, not a football thing.

That's because the NFL uses part-time officials who spend the offseason working other careers.

They should be full-time, 40 hours a week during the offseason studying every call made and/or missed during the season to sharpen their skills, imo. They make $200k + per year, they need to be doing full offseason programs just like the players are...

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because here in Detroit you can catch the ball, fall into the end zone, roll over three times and they call it an incomplete pass
Funny you mention that play. I was in the backyard with Braxton the other day and we were going over some things he learned in practice recently(he's in a K-2 football league). I threw a pass to him, he caught it initially but as he fell down and rolled over the ball came out. He jumped up and screamed "Ohhhh what a great catch by Braxton!!". I calmly walked over(but heated inside) and had to explain to him about the fucking "Process" rule. Ugh.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minus those two plays the entire game changes.....errr not really.

If the game ended 24-21 or 28-27 I could get on board the favoritism idea. But after the Ravens shit the bed the second half it's much ado about nothing.

If you want to issue blame look no further than the the Ravens coaching staff for not throwing the challenge flag. Since they didn't the view on the field had to be completion.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit Swarm, you're the only opposition on here- you gotta keep posting or this discussion dies...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have nothing else to add. HC's are now in charge of making sure every catch is completed and every player is tackled. Thank God we dragged all those replacement refs through the mud and brought back these heroes. God Bless them and their good for nothing eye sight.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to issue blame look no further than the the Ravens coaching staff for not throwing the challenge flag. Since they didn't the view on the field had to be completion.

I lied. I have something to say about this.

per NFL rules: If a NFL Coach wins the challenged play, he still loses one of his two challenges. If both challenges succeed, then the team is awarded a third challenge.

There is no guarantee a team wins both challenges, so why should teams be put in the position to have to risk a challenge on basic shit like completed passes that skip off the turf!? That's unfair. It didn't affect this game but what if Baltimore needed that challenge for late in the game? Maybe that is what Harbaugh was thinking? It's not his job to tell the refs the pass was completed. If he can see that it was (or anyone on the sideline or field) then so should the refs. It's bullshit to blame the HC for the simple mistakes of these shitty refs.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lied. I have something to say about this.

per NFL rules: If a NFL Coach wins the challenged play, he still loses one of his two challenges. If both challenges succeed, then the team is awarded a third challenge.

There is no guarantee a team wins both challenges, so why should teams be put in the position to have to risk a challenge on basic shit like completed passes that skip off the turf!? That's unfair. It didn't affect this game but what if Baltimore needed that challenge for late in the game? Maybe that is what Harbaugh was thinking? It's not his job to tell the refs the pass was completed. If he can see that it was (or anyone on the sideline or field) then so should the refs. It's bullshit to blame the HC for the simple mistakes of these shitty refs.

If it was clear you throw the flag and take you chances. If your not sure you let the people upstairs watch it. The point is on the field it isn't as clear as on TV with constant instant replay.

Again I would have a bigger problem if it affecting the outcome. Like CJ's dropped pass vs Chicago in the end zone on opening day.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know you can talk about whatever you wish (within the guide lines I suppose).

As it stands...you agree the play had no bearing on the outcome.

So...I'm lost on your angle here. Missed calls? Bad passes? plain and simple...the refs blew the call. It happens, even to the regular refs. It was clear enough on the replay that Harbaugh's eyes in the sky SHOULD have seen it just as we did imo and he could have challenged and this play goes away.

Bad passes, yes he short hopped a few, but connected on enough to more than make up for them.

As far as bitching about the Steelers supposed gifts...have at it, you'll be in a long line.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ain't golf, you're not supposed to call a penalty on yourself. The refs blew the call and I was surprised the Raven coaches in the box didn't let Harbaugh know it.

This is the problem with America today. Winning is all that is important. It does not matter if you won because you cheated or an official didnt make the correct judgement.

As long as you win nothing else matters. Heavan forbid someone in this country actually tries to legitimately be the best at something straight up on a level playing field.

Bunch of fucking pussies afraid of an even matchup or even worse being overmatched.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this particular case these guys are professional football players. They're paid to win, not be honest.

If it's high school ball, or especially pop warner, then you've got a perfectly valid point. But with the pros it's not their responsibility to call their own fouls.

That's my $.02 anyhow...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the problem with America today. Winning is all that is important. It does not matter if you won because you cheated or an official didnt make the correct judgement.

As long as you win nothing else matters. Heavan forbid someone in this country actually tries to legitimately be the best at something straight up on a level playing field.

Bunch of fucking pussies afraid of an even matchup or even worse being overmatched.

For christ sakes...the play went for what 5 yds maybe...What would you have the Broncos do?

That said, 49-27...obviously they didn't need the play.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the play went for what 5 yds maybe
Im not against the "non replay" or anything, but that "catch" by Welker did keep the drive alive on 3rd down and Denver ended up scoring a few plays later. Ya never know what could've happened. I doubt nothing considering the way the Ravens played, but ya just never know.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob, I like you, man. But this is just disappointing. :L

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why complain about a few missed calls that really don't mean anything? The Broncos were better than the Ravens. JOHN Harbaugh did challenge one that was skipped on a ground. It was a 3 yard play on 1st down and not in FG range when he challenged. JIM was probably watching it on a lazy boy a few states to the west.

I also seen a few missed holding calls that saved Flacco from being sacked. One where the Denver guy had Yanda's arm over his shoulder, dragging him until he tripped up just shy of Flacco, then Flacco threw for a 20-yard 1st down.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why complain about a few missed calls that really don't mean anything? The Broncos were better than the Ravens. JOHN Harbaugh did challenge one that was skipped on a ground. It was a 3 yard play on 1st down and not in FG range when he challenged. JIM was probably watching it on a lazy boy a few states to the west.

I also seen a few missed holding calls that saved Flacco from being sacked. One where the Denver guy had Yanda's arm over his shoulder, dragging him until he tripped up just shy of Flacco, then Flacco threw for a 20-yard 1st down.

You make an excellent point about poor John Harbaugh being forced to challenge numerous Peyton Manning 1st downs that skipped off the turf. You'd think at some point the refs would start looking at the fucking football.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea::noidea: Just til playoffs for him to prove Rob right.:gaah:

Can't wait. But this thread is more about the refs, unless they really are favoring him/giving him the benefit of the doubt for some reason.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make an excellent point about poor John Harbaugh being forced to challenge numerous Peyton Manning 1st downs that skipped off the turf. You'd think at some point the refs would start looking at the fucking football.

You would be an excellent reporter. You spin what people say into how you want it to be quite nicely, even though they are arguing your point exactly.

Let me guess, it's the refs fault the Ravens lost? Is it because of the Broncos that the Ravens lost 2 key players due to injury that did affect how the Ravens played? I'm sure the refs missed something when the Ravens guy ran into his own while following the Broncos guy.