• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Manning's bogus 1st downs

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's with Manning skipping the ball off the turf for first downs? Seriously, why is no one talking about how bad the refs were last night during those few plays? Why is it up to Jim Harbaugh to make sure his receivers catch every ball? Why does Peyton Manning get these kind of calls? Not taking anything away from his total performance, he was awesome, but those two plays blew my mind. WTF are the refs looking at that they don't see those balls skip off the turf? It's like they just can't wait to hand Peyton another first and 10. It would be nice to get that kind of favoritism.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton knew it wasn't a complete pass that's why he hurried to the line and snapped the ball before Harbs could challenge, it's nothing new for Manning. I just want to know why Harbs didn't challenge the play right away when clearly it was incomplete. I'm not big into blaming the refs the Ravens came out and played like shit in the second half.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon man, the guy just tied a major NFL record that hasn't been touched in over 40 years, and is re-writing the record books every time he takes the field, and you're complaining about two plays?

The one to Thomas was pretty obvious from the camera angle, but who knows what kind of view the refs had? The other one was tough to see (can't remember if it was Welker or Decker?), the replay showed that the point hit the ground, but you can't blame the refs there.

Did Peyton Manning touch you inappropriately as a child or something? :whistle:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not big into blaming the refs the Ravens came out and played like shit in the second half.

I agree. Manning played great no doubt, definitely won the game. I just want to know what the hell the refs are looking at/for that they don't see these obvious incomplete passes. Is it just because it's Peyton Manning? Because here in Detroit you can catch the ball, fall into the end zone, roll over three times and they call it an incomplete pass. In Denver, you can skip passes off the ground for 1st downs on 3rd and long. I don't know why it wasn't challenged but I'm assuming Harbaugh thought the refs got it right because they are expected to get these plays right. But they didn't and imo they should be held accountable for it. These are supposed to be the best of the best and those plays were as elementary as it gets.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton knew it wasn't a complete pass that's why he hurried to the line and snapped the ball before Harbs could challenge, it's nothing new for Manning. I just want to know why Harbs didn't challenge the play right away when clearly it was incomplete. I'm not big into blaming the refs the Ravens came out and played like shit in the second half.

:agree: Refs blow calls every weekend in every game!! PERIOD! You have guys specifically looking at that stuff upstairs. He needs to ask them why they didn't say something? Ohh by the way, refs called two other skips incomplete against him.

MCRO RAVE don't mind rob... he is a Manning hater.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon man, the guy just tied a major NFL record that hasn't been touched in over 40 years, and is re-writing the record books every time he takes the field, and you're complaining about two plays?

The one to Thomas was pretty obvious from the camera angle, but who knows what kind of view the refs had? The other one was tough to see (can't remember if it was Welker or Decker?), the replay showed that the point hit the ground, but you can't blame the refs there.

Did Peyton Manning touch you inappropriately as a child or something? :whistle:

How is this any different than the bogus Texans TD? I don't think expecting professionals to do their jobs when it comes to the basics is too much to ask. I'm sure as hell not going to make excuses for them. You act like they were calling the game from the stands sitting in an obstrcuted view seat. They are on the damn filed. Make the correct calls.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why it wasn't challenged but I'm assuming Harbaugh thought the refs got it right because they are expected to get these plays right. But they didn't and imo they should be held accountable for it. These are supposed to be the best of the best and those plays were as elementary as it gets.

They are held accountable. REfs do get replaced. They get playoff games by being scored and graded during season. The best graded crews get the playoffs and best get the SB.

We also get replay to show us the mess ups. You ever notice the spot a WR or RB get when diving forward out of bounds? The ref is running behind them and guesses... not exact science being a ref.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nitpicking!

This ain't golf, you're not supposed to call a penalty on yourself. The refs blew the call and I was surprised the Raven coaches in the box didn't let Harbaugh know it.

Of course he (Manning) knew it bounced and so did Bebe...but c'mon, it was a 1st half play and the Ravens got smoked in this game...find something else to bitch about.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is this any different than the bogus Texans TD? I don't think expecting professionals to do their jobs when it comes to the basics is too much to ask. I'm sure as hell not going to make excuses for them. You act like they were calling the game from the stands sitting in an obstrcuted view seat. They are on the damn filed. Make the correct calls.

They also have 22 rather large guys flying around blocking the view. Gym Shorts waits like other coaches and that play gets caught by replay on scoring play. No excuse, human error does exist. They get one angle, we get 6 on TV.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ain't golf, you're not supposed to call a penalty on yourself. The refs blew the call and I was surprised the Raven coaches in the box didn't let Harbaugh know it.

Of course he (Manning) knew it bounced and so did Bebe...but c'mon, it was a 1st half play and the Ravens got smoked in this game...find something else to bitch about.

It's not nitpicking. I'm not saying the end result had anything to do with it. Why can't I talk about one facet of the game? I can bitch about the Steelers being handed Super Bowls if you want. I thought this was a discussion board. I'm trying to discuss the obvious incomplete passes Peyton Manning throws. It merits discussion. Think I'm just bitching to bitch and have nothing tangible to add? Then don't waste your time on my crappy thread.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also have 22 rather large guys flying around blocking the view. Gym Shorts waits like other coaches and that play gets caught by replay on scoring play. No excuse, human error does exist. They get one angle, we get 6 on TV.

Fine. Make excuses for the refs. I prefer an NFL product where obvious incomplete passes are called correctly. I don't think that's too much to ask. I'll say the same thing if and when Stafford is ever afforded the same luxury.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what bothers me most is how fans are manipulated by the media. When the replacement refs were out there, every major sports sight on TV and the web was holding a witch hunt and the fans of course followed their lead. You couldn't read one story without comments about how bad the replacement refs are.

Then last night we see an obvious incomplete pass skip off the turf get called a 1st down, and the commentators say NOTHING about the bad call. Instead, they immediately begin to question Harbaugh!? Like it's his job to ref the game now!? LOL

And today, here you guys are parroting the media. No one has shit to say about the real refs, but me. Everybody has excuses for the real refs who picketed and and demanded more money for the use of their amazing talents.

So be it. I see through the bullshit.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's no different than that bogus Texans TD. That's the point- refs miss calls. Happens in every game. Neither of the missed calls in question last night decided the outcome of the game, though. I don't think it had anything to do with who the QB was, just likely an obstructed view by the officials...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not nitpicking. I'm not saying the end result had anything to do with it. Why can't I talk about one facet of the game? I can bitch about the Steelers being handed Super Bowls if you want. I thought this was a discussion board. I'm trying to discuss the obvious incomplete passes Peyton Manning throws. It merits discussion. Think I'm just bitching to bitch and have nothing tangible to add? Then don't waste your time on my crappy thread.

I'd say you've succeeded in creating a discussion on the manner, you're just the only one on your side of it right now. Nothing wrong with that. Wouldn't be much of a discussion if we all just nodded and agreed with you..

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most people have accepted that nobody in any profession gets it 100% right. That is why the they have challenges, to try and correct mistakes that the refs made. The announcers are right to critisize Harbough for not throwing the flag. His own players had been pleading with him to throw it.

The call was wrong, but that happens in every sport, it is part of the game. Football is the only sport I can think of that allows the coaches some protection from the human error element, and Harbaugh declined to use it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree that bad calls happen in all sports and in most games, but I feel like those were basic football plays that need to be called correctly by the refs. Guys falling onto the turf, balls hitting the ground. C'mon, that's basic stuff.

I swear to God if fucking Mike Pereira pops up just ONE time this year to try and sell me on how it's OK that the Lions just got fucked again, I'm going to snap.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think it has been 3 out of the last 4 years that a rule has been changed in the NFL after the Lions got screwed.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what bothers me most is how fans are manipulated by the media. When the replacement refs were out there, every major sports sight on TV and the web was holding a witch hunt and the fans of course followed their lead. You couldn't read one story without comments about how bad the replacement refs are.
I think you're preaching to the wrong crew on that issue. Most of the people who spend their free time discussing football on a message board aren't the sheep being led on by the media. Those types are Uncle Jim, or that guy in accounts who always tries to hold conversation but doesn't really quite know what he's talking about.

I think most (not all, though) of us are informed enough on the subject to read between the lines on generic media nonsense (like everything Mike Florio writes).

Then last night we see an obvious incomplete pass skip off the turf get called a 1st down, and the commentators say NOTHING about the bad call. Instead, they immediately begin to question Harbaugh!? Like it's his job to ref the game now!? LOL
Two thoughts here:

1. Neither pass "skipped" off the turf and into the guy's hands, nor were they that obvious, imo. Thomas' "catch" was the more obvious of the two, but he managed to corral the ball as it hit the turf. The second one hit the ground as the guy was rolling over it, a very tough angle for the officials to see. I'm not making excuses for them, but it's not quite so cut-and-dry as you're making it seem, either.

2. Look at the commentators- Al Michaels is so-so, but Chris Collinsworth(less) is just an idiot. I think he got one too many concussions during his playing days. I never expect the commentators on nationally televised games to do a good job for us hard-core fans. This goes back to the first paragraph of this post- watered-down media for the average fan. Most of us know more about 95% of the non-superstar players in the league than guys like Collinsworth and Troy Aikman do...

And today, here you guys are parroting the media. No one has shit to say about the real refs, but me. Everybody has excuses for the real refs who picketed and and demanded more money for the use of their amazing talents.
Who's parroting the media? We just disagree about the relative ease of the calls the refs missed. We all agree that they did blow the calls in question, it's just a matter of how obvious we each think said calls were, or weren't...

So be it. I see through the bullshit.
I don't think there's any bs to see through, just a pair of bad calls that really had a minimal impact on the game. The refs missed the calls, and the Raven's replay guy missed it again on the second one. If the situation had been reversed and Flacco had a couple of bad calls go his way would you still be so up-in-arms about it?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. It's not about Peyton Manning being an awful playoff QB. It's about the refs missing really easy and obvious calls. We just went through a huge public humiliation campaign against those replacement refs now we have the saviors of the NFL missing basic incomplete passes and not noticing guys falling to the turf. I watch college too, not just the NFL. A lot of this shit never happens in college. It's an NFL thing, not a football thing.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear to God if fucking Mike Pereira pops up just ONE time this year to try and sell me on how it's OK that the Lions just got fucked again, I'm going to snap.
It sucks how every poorly thought-out rule seems to find it's way into our games, often causing us to lose said games. Then the league corrects the rule after we get fucked over.

I think the league owes us like 4 or 5 free TD coupons that can be used one per game at any time we want! lol