• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Walton-Penner and Peyton Manning

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all - I like the soup that Paton and Hackett are cooking up and hope they can continue in those roles for the foreseeable future.

Now if Walton and Penner get confirmed as the buyers (it's a cinch they will be) - they will own the Denver Broncos. News reports show Walton-Penner have talked to Peyton Manning about an advisory role - with or without equity. I'm not one who thinks a couple of retail champions from Arkansas can parachute into the Denver Broncos headquarters without some football advice. If they bought an airline - they would probably bring on their own airline expert advisor - same if they bought a mining operation - they would bring in a guy who knows mines.

One question - might be - why don't they just rely on George Paton? If I was a new owner, I'd look for advice outside the organization - just to balance the stuff the organization insiders tell you. From my selfish point of view - I wouldn't necessarily want George Paton - to take his concentration off what he is doing now -as he has certainly proven himself. George Paton can advance at a later time. So, there are two reasons why Walton-Penner wouldn't want to just take advice from within the current organization. Why tamper with what's in place and why not get a football guy to balance the advice you're getting?

Ownership situations in Indy and Washington tell you - you don't want your owners thinking they can manage football teams. Peyton Manning really is the ideal guy to take a role above George Paton and between the new owners. He lives in Denver - he supports the Broncos in lots of ways. He is trusted by the fans and by the state and city officials and he probably has a good perspective on how to vote on rule changes and ownership matters. Plus, Peyton Manning being a walking billboard for Denver Bronco's football is worth a lot of money for something he can't really buy.

There is already talk of a new domed stadium - Manning can be very helpful in getting one of those built. There seems to be reason for the Nuggets and the Avs to share perhaps in training facilities - parking and other venues.

This could also be easy to screw up.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning is a good 'face.' Someone who looks good on camera, speaks well, has charisma, has and is known for his football knowledge.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Face and player input? Sure. Honestly, I'd keep the old guys like Elway and what's his name around for maybe a bit longer as advisors as well.

If Walton is smart (and a billionaire coming from retail strikes me as the hard way to reach that status, not the typical real-estate or bitcoin trader), I've got to think he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know.

I also have a weird feeling that he won't be all that involved. I really think daddy bought this for the kiddos who live in Colorado, and that's what they wanted - not the retail chain. Maybe he dabbles, but at his age, I just don't see his involvement.

The good news to me is they're local, and they're wanting to do the right thing - starting with the public mentioning of reaching out to Manning. As for Paton and the staff, I think they leave things alone for a year or more to see how it plays out. The more successful Paton and crew are, the less likely there will be any changes. I think maybe eventually Paton gets more responsibility or a new title, but with the deep pockets the Walton's have it's not likely that anyone who is an asset to the Broncos will get paid more by another team to leave.

But what do I know? I'm not a billionaire... yet.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Walton is smart (and a billionaire coming from retail strikes me as the hard way to reach that status, not the typical real-estate or bitcoin trader), I've got to think he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know.

I don't know how smart this particular Walton is. He inherited a leviathan and it has continued to grind forward from inertia and a very, very good Logistics department. But he does seem to be a behind-the-scenes kind of guy. I think that bodes well for us long time fans of the Broncos.

Reactions: LGM

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how smart this particular Walton is. He inherited a leviathan and it has continued to grind forward from inertia and a very, very good Logistics department. But he does seem to be a behind-the-scenes kind of guy. I think that bodes well for us long time fans of the Broncos.
That's basically what I was getting at. You can ruin a business regardless of size by thinking or leading people with hubris (see: Jerrah Jones). His history seems to indicate that he relies on others to keep things moving forward - which is exactly what we want.

The biggest question is what Mingo mentioned - Hopefully, he doesn't try to run it like Wal-Mart, and brings in or retains people or advisors to assist them in making the best decisions for the team.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest question is what Mingo mentioned - Hopefully, he doesn't try to run it like Wal-Mart, and brings in or retains people or advisors to assist them in making the best decisions for the team.
You think he will fire all the staff and install self coaching kiosks for players to use at practice?

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a no-brainer for the Walton Penner group to engage Manning, but I think Manning will carefully evaluate this. Depending on his roll it could impact his ESPN gig and other media opportunities, so I think he will scrutinize what his roll and opportunities will be and I think they would have to be significant for him to jump in. I think it will require some significant title, duties and equity.

My $.02

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Washington franchise being sold for rumors of 7 billion, did Walton’s get a bargain?!

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Washington franchise being sold for rumors of 7 billion, did Walton’s get a bargain?!
Or this franchise is a true dumpster fire.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not compared to Washington and that hot mess. It is a larger market, but the fan base in Denver is as good as it gets.
There's been 20k no shows recently according to Lamey. Not sure if thats the past few weeks, or the last home game. But Commanders are still going to sell for double our price, which makes me wonder if this was a bargain basement deal for Penner to flip after a few years.