• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins v. Islanders Round 1 Series Thread

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the puck handling on that goal was as good if not better than tavares' shot they were drooling over. that was stunning

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're the Islanders, wouldn't you take a couple of runs at Vokoun in the third period in a not so subtle attempt to injure him? (not that I condone that kind of behavior, unless it's a good two-handed slash to the back of the knees)

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're the Islanders, wouldn't you take a couple of runs at Vokoun in the third period in a not so subtle attempt to injure him? (not that I condone that kind of behavior, unless it's a good two-handed slash to the back of the knees)

It's worth it to get MAF off the bench.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, where has that been all series ? actual defense? shot blocking? team speed? goalie fundamentals?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great period. Vokoun really ignited the team. The Isles carried play in the first, and Vokoun stayed strong. I think that gave the team the confidence they needed in the second. Now they've gotten to their game, they're possessing the puck, and they're producing chance after chance. And Nabokov is starting to look shaky again.

We need to step on their throats in the third, though. No more hope.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens have made the adjustments we're all asking for.

Vokoun in net - check
Reducing turnovers - check
Varying the breakout - check

Also, putting Vitale and Kennedy in for speed is all on Byslma. Has paid off huge so far.

That Crosby goal - man. I was shaking my head at Tavares's attempt, and then Crosby comes right back with his own version. That's something you only see in the generational players, when motivated they just seem to hit an extra gear.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great period. Vokoun really ignited the team. The Isles carried play in the first, and Vokoun stayed strong. I think that gave the team the confidence they needed in the second. Now they've gotten to their game, they're possessing the puck, and they're producing chance after chance. And Nabokov is starting to look shaky again.

We need to step on their throats in the third, though. No more hope.

What do you want another Zednik or Marlarchuk incident? You're a sick man DS !!........SICK, I say !!

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crosby likes playing against the Islanders, 81 points in 44 games vs them in his career. not bad.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's something you only see in the generational players, when motivated they just seem to hit an extra gear.

I thought players found that extra gear as soon as they put on a Hawks uniform?

:D

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought players found that extra gear as soon as they put on a Hawks uniform?

:D

Hey dash, I just noticed between the two of us we couldn't get a couple of beers and a lap dance. :laugh3:

I'm all in tonight though.

Edit: vCash that is.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - I wasn't quite sure where you were going with that post until you edited it, Boss...

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol - I wasn't quite sure where you were going with that post until you edited it, Boss...

LMAO, After I noticed that omission I though, that doesn't look quite right at all.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens become the first team since 1975 Flyers to have 2 different goalies earn shutouts in the same series.

Vokoun :rockon::rockon:

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big win for the Penguins. After a medium first, they played perfect the rest of the way. Douglas Murray playing C for the final powerplay was definitely the highlight.

Credit to Byslma for making the necessary changes. Vokoun was steady. He just plays solid, positional goaltending, and it paid off. Whether the players were more confident in front of him, or just had some sense shaken into them by the goalie switch, they came out much different than Games 2 through 4.

Back to the Island now. That place was rocking, hope the Pens can build on this win and end this thing.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big win for the Penguins. After a medium first, they played perfect the rest of the way. Douglas Murray playing C for the final powerplay was definitely the highlight.

Credit to Byslma for making the necessary changes. Vokoun was steady. He just plays solid, positional goaltending, and it paid off. Whether the players were more confident in front of him, or just had some sense shaken into them by the goalie switch, they came out much different than Games 2 through 4.

Back to the Island now. That place was rocking, hope the Pens can build on this win and end this thing.
They seemed much more confident after seeing some of the great saves TV made early on.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...that's the team I've been waiting to see.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They seemed much more confident after seeing some of the great saves TV made early on.

I think that was the key. They were tentative in the first, playing it safe and not really pushing things. Vokoun held the fort, and the team got confident. And then they exploded in the second and just kept beating the Isles back in the third.

The Isles stopped pressuring altogether about halfway through the third. They weren't trying to force the defensemen into making mistakes. When it's working, it's easy to put in that extra effort. When it's not working, it gets tougher. The Pens cut down on turnovers, and it let them get out to a lead, which deflated the Islanders, eliminating the chance for more turnovers. It all stemmed from being cautious and smart with the puck in the first.

I'm really impressed with how Bylsma coached this game, from the early announcement of Vokoun as the starter to the lineup substitutions shortly before the game, to the in-game adjustments to find a breakout which worked. If he coaches like that and Vokoun stands tall the rest of the way, this team is going to be tough to beat.