• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins v. Islanders Round 1 Series Thread

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bummer..

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hockeysmile:
crosby.gif

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, that is not good defense mr. hickey.. falling over is normally not the best way to make a hit

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Visnovsky got toasted, as well. Methinks the Isles missed McDonald last night

eh, the only way to really beat the pens is to attack as hard as they do and you're not going to out-talent them regardless.. even if you beat them in a 7 game series, there will be games you have no chance in.. i still think they're very beatable though, just have to pressure the D non-stop.. i really think the pens will struggle with boston if/when they play

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, the only way to really beat the pens is to attack as hard as they do and you're not going to out-talent them regardless.. even if you beat them in a 7 game series, there will be games you have no chance in.. i still think they're very beatable though, just have to pressure the D non-stop.. i really think the pens will struggle with boston if/when they play

Meh, everyone is beatable in today's NHL. No team is a runaway favorite. The league probably hasn't had this much parity in the past 30 years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, everyone is beatable in today's NHL. No team is a runaway favorite. The league probably hasn't had this much parity in the past 30 years.

i cant go back 30 years, but i cant remember any pro-sports league having as much parity as hockey does right now.. it wouldn't shock me at all if the kings, blues, ducks, sharks, hawks, pens, or bruins won the cup.. that's a lot of 'cup favorites'

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cant go back 30 years, but i cant remember any pro-sports league having as much parity as hockey does right now.. it wouldn't shock me at all if the kings, blues, ducks, sharks, hawks, pens, or bruins won the cup.. that's a lot of 'cup favorites'

I'd say the NFL is right alongside the NHL with relative equality across the playing field. A hard salary cap, and a cap floor in both leagues probably has a lot to do with the parity. It's a good thing, IMO..

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the NFL is right alongside the NHL with relative equality across the playing field. A hard salary cap, and a cap floor in both leagues probably has a lot to do with the parity. It's a good thing, IMO..

I don't fully agree because football places a lot of importance on one position - even more so (I believe) than hockey does on netminding. Goalies can get hot, quarterbacks don't really work the same way. I'd say about 2/3rds of NFL teams have a quarterback with the ability to defeat anyone. It's good parity, but let's not act as if the Jets have any chance at winning it all this year.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't fully agree because football places a lot of importance on one position - even more so (I believe) than hockey does on netminding. Goalies can get hot, quarterbacks don't really work the same way. I'd say about 2/3rds of NFL teams have a quarterback with the ability to defeat anyone. It's good parity, but let's not act as if the Jets have any chance at winning it all this year.

:lol:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, not to single anyone out. :suds:

Ok, I need to go back to silent mode. I've been a mess watching this series.

thats the only thing with the NFL that makes me say its a tier below in terms of parity.. you could've singled out a lot of teams

browns
jets
panthers
dolphins
bills
titans
jags

are all really really bad.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't be so sure of that. One good draft can catapult a average/below average team into the playoffs in one season. Look at the turnover of playoff teams year to year.

Kansas city was a playoff team only three seasons ago, yet they picked first overall in this past April's draft.

Conversely, the New York Giants were defending Superbowl champs in 2012, yet they didn't even qualify for the most recent postseason. Times change in a hurry in the NFL, just like they do in the NHL.

Edit / and about those Jets... they were in back to back conference championships only two and three seasons ago. I'm not surprised to see them fall back, as they have. It's hard to maintain superiority in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be so sure of that. One good draft can catapult a average/below average team into the playoffs in one season. Look at the turnover of playoff teams year to year.

Kansas city was a playoff team only three seasons ago, yet they picked first overall in this past April's draft.

Conversely, the New York Giants were defending Superbowl champs in 2012, yet they didn't even qualify for the most recent postseason. Times change in a hurry in the NFL, just like they do in the NHL.

Edit / and about those Jets... they were in back to back conference championships only two and three seasons ago. I'm not surprised to see them fall back, as they have. It's hard to maintain superiority in the NFL.

Or many bad drafts can make a good team turn into the list in the prior posts.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or many bad drafts can make a good team turn into the list in the prior posts.

Exactly

Just as a team can go from being an afterthought to a juggernaut, the reverse can happen just as quickly.

That was my point in comparing the parity of the NHL to the NFL. I mean, look at some of the clubs who qualified for the 2013 postseason(Islanders, Wild, Canadiens,)... and look at some teams who didn't.

Four of the eight clubs who were in the conference semi-finals last season aren't even in the playoff field in 2013.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Crosby is Lemieux and Hickey is Rich Pilon :heh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those goals were remarkably similar.

I'm amped for tomorrow. I hope they close it out and end this heart attack of a series. And then afterward, I'm playing deck hockey. :thumb: