• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins v. Islanders Round 1 Series Thread

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Fleury:pout:

I really do feel bad for him. At least he has his ring and two years left at five million per... barring they don't buy him out, that is

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Bylsma needs to rethink how the Pens are working their breakout passing. It just seems like the Isles forwards are collapsing at the Pens blue-line and continually taking that long lead pass away, along the boards. Would like to see the Pens Dmen just skate the puck up to the redline and start dumping it in.

They just need to be of the mindset of getting the puck deep, and quit trying to make highlight reel passes in the neutral zone. Puck possession in this series is heavily tilted towards the Isles over these past three games. If that continues from here on out, they might as well get the golf clubs out of the garage

the flyers had the exact same issue this season. they just didn't have the talent to overcome it. when the entire d-corp got hurt and got even less talented, they stopped playing like that and won like 7 out of the last 9 down the stretch.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move by Bylsma to name Vokoun his starter this quickly to quell all the speculation...

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Fleury:pout:

I really do feel bad for him. At least he has his ring and two years left at five million per... barring they don't buy him out, that is

I hope they do buy him out. I think Shero is a very good GM, if he decides to buy out Fleury I would consider it a stupid move. Not something I would expect him to do. If Fleury is bought out he'll have plenty of suitors, including the Islanders.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they do buy him out. I think Shero is a very good GM, if he decides to buy out Fleury I would consider it a stupid move. Not something I would expect him to do. If Fleury is bought out he'll have plenty of suitors, including the Islanders.

Judging by most impartial fans reactions about Fleury over the past couple of seasons, I'm surprised to see you say that. I don't expect Fleury to be bought out either, but I can't dismiss the possibility.

The Pens have a lot of tough decisions to make, as most do this off-season. A lowered cap is going to make it hard for them to re-sign certain people, and depending on what takes place between now and Sunday, a decision about MAF will probably weigh heavy on Shero's mind.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, he'll do well riding his legacy as a Stanley Cup champion, despite not playing well in any playoff year since then.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he'll do well riding his legacy as a Stanley Cup champion, despite not playing well in any playoff year since then.

The thing is his reaction last night pretty much guarantees to me that he has to leave Pittsburgh. He made some really terrible decisions in that game, and with everyone piling on his record, he just won't recover. Not there.

I kind of wonder if he will recover anywhere. You can't deny that his playoff numbers are consistently worse than regular season.

No one will miss that when scouting him. No one.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really too bad. When Fleury backstopped us to two finals appearances, I was like "Finally! The Pens have a goalie!" Now things are back to normal, unfortunately.

Hopefully Vokoun has a solid outing on Thursday. He had better numbers than Fleury this season, but also some up-and-down games. But he won't solve the Penguins breakout / turnover issues.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is his reaction last night pretty much guarantees to me that he has to leave Pittsburgh. He made some really terrible decisions in that game, and with everyone piling on his record, he just won't recover. Not there.

I kind of wonder if he will recover anywhere. You can't deny that his playoff numbers are consistently worse than regular season.

No one will miss that when scouting him. No one.

Agreed on all points.

Nobody is going to miss the fact that even his regular season stats were decidedly mediocre while playing for one of the top teams in the league.

Granted, he rarely had to be anything more than good-enough because the Pens were outscoring almost everyone over the last couple of seasons.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on all points.

Nobody is going to miss the fact that even his regular season stats were decidedly mediocre while playing for one of the top teams in the league.

Granted, he rarely had to be anything more than good-enough because the Pens were outscoring almost everyone over the last couple of seasons.

The Tom Barasso curse. The most mediocre multiple cup winning goalie in the history of the league.

The Pens should go after Bryzgalov. Because everyone knows that goalies who are liberated out of Philly light it up.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Lowe knows a thing or two about winning and loves the Stanley Cup sheen, how about MAF in a Oilers uniform?

Edit: Besides, you know how the Oilers love 1st overall picks :heh:

Last edited by a moderator:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Lowe knows a thing or two about winning and loves the Stanley Cup sheen, how about MAF in a Oilers uniform?

I like the idea of trading him more than buying Fleury out, if it comes to that. He does have a no trade clause, so... There's that

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tom Barasso curse. The most mediocre multiple cup winning goalie in the history of the league.

The Pens should go after Bryzgalov. Because everyone knows that goalies who are liberated out of Philly light it up.

I dunno.....he's no Ray Emery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You know what has me concerned... this line from many Penguins... "we haven't played our best yet".... my concern is they actually believe that line, perhaps that's the 'right' thing to say in context of sports... but, perhaps you "have played your best" and the Isles are just beating that best right now... give credit where credit is due... Isles huslte, not the excuse of "not playing our best" is the reason for sloppy play, bad turnovers, mental mistakes (trying to hard)... perhaps it's not the effort that is lacking on the ice... but, like what has been said, tweaks in the system... well line-up changes seem to be coming.. in AM skate...

Kunitz-Sid-Duper
Neal-Malkin-Iggy
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Adams-Vitale-TK

Despres skaed with Letang while Eaton was on the 4th pairing.

Game 5 and speed has been addressed... Vitale and TK.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what has me concerned... this line from many Penguins... "we haven't played our best yet".... my concern is they actually believe that line, perhaps that's the 'right' thing to say in context of sports... but, perhaps you "have played your best" and the Isles are just beating that best right now... give credit where credit is due... Isles huslte, not the excuse of "not playing our best" is the reason for sloppy play, bad turnovers, mental mistakes (trying to hard)... perhaps it's not the effort that is lacking on the ice... but, like what has been said, tweaks in the system... well line-up changes seem to be coming.. in AM skate...

Kunitz-Sid-Duper
Neal-Malkin-Iggy
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Adams-Vitale-TK

Despres skaed with Letang while Eaton was on the 4th pairing.

Game 5 and speed has been addressed... Vitale and TK.

Terrible lines.

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Adams - Vitale - TK

That combination has made the most sense since forever, everyone is playing their best position and the lines are balanced and have speed, scoring, and defense components.