• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins v. Islanders Round 1 Series Thread

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so did that sentiment come before or after the igloo gave kasparaitis a standing-o for leaving lindros dead on the ice?
(not saying you stood and cheered, but it's not 'league-wide haterade' of sid.. it's a leaguewide hatred of other teams)

lol

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so did that sentiment come before or after the igloo gave kasparaitis a standing-o for leaving lindros dead on the ice?

(not saying you stood and cheered, but it's not 'league-wide haterade' of sid.. it's a leaguewide hatred of other teams)

Eh, everyone loves to hate him. He is the most polarizing player in the game, today. As for Kaspar, he was a fan favorite in his time with the Pens, and Lindros was a Flyer. There really isn't a level of hatred in the NHL that comes close to what is produced between the Flyers and Penguins.

I don't condone cheering for any injured player, though. Flyers players included.

edit/ and to be fair, (retired) they were cheering the hard hit on Lindros. Sid took an errant puck to the head/neck area. I'd say there is a bit of a difference there, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't actively root for guys to get hurt, however I won't pretend that part of me isn't happy that the other team is at a disadvantage. Again, I don't want a guy to get hurt, but if somebody blocks a shot and breaks a bone, out for the rest of the series, I'm ok with it, it gives my team a better shot.

And I don't buy that whole "you want to beat the other team at 100%" BS. Sure that would be nice, but I'll take beating the team at 70% as well and not think twice about it.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with fans cheering after Sid took the puck to the neck. It's not like he was down motionless on the ice. I'm glad that Sid was able to continue playing the game & will be fine for Game 5. What bothered me was the idiot who through some kind of plastic bottle on the ice. Nabby had to shove it away from his crease. Fortinately that fan was thrown out of the arena immediately. If that person is a season ticket holder I hope they have their season tickets revoked. Fortunately nobody was injured from this persons stupidity.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, everyone loves to hate him. He is the most polarizing player in the game, today. As for Kaspar, he was a fan favorite in his time with the Pens, and Lindros was a Flyer. There really isn't a level of hatred in the NHL that comes close to what is produced between the Flyers and Penguins.

I don't condone cheering for any injured player, though. Flyers players included.

edit/ and to be fair, (retired) they were cheering the hard hit on Lindros. Sid took an errant puck to the head/neck area. I'd say there is a bit of a difference there, wouldn't you say?

i dont really see a difference between an errant puck hitting someone and a guy laying someone out.. you're still cheering an injury.. i was at that game, they weren't cheering the hit, they were cheering the injury.. sure there were some ooh's and ahh's at the hit, but the standing didn't come til they saw lindros wasn't moving.

and i'm sure isles fans hate crosby just as much if not more than flyers fans do, we just don't hear from them because the isles haven't been good since al gore invented the internet, so none of them know how to use it. somehow he torches the isles more than he torches the flyers, there's no choice but to hate him.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont really see a difference between an errant puck hitting someone and a guy laying someone out.. you're still cheering an injury.. i was at that game, they weren't cheering the hit, they were cheering the injury.. sure there were some ooh's and ahh's at the hit, but the standing didn't come til they saw lindros wasn't moving.

and i'm sure isles fans hate crosby just as much if not more than flyers fans do, we just don't hear from them because the isles haven't been good since al gore invented the internet, so none of them know how to use it. somehow he torches the isles more than he torches the flyers, there's no choice but to hate him.

I think there is an obvious difference. Lindros got caught with his head down, and Kaspar made him pay. It was a hockey play, one that any self-respecting hockeyfan is going to get excited about.

Sid took a slapshot to the neck. A couple of months ago, when Cooke stepped on the back of Karlsson's skate, I didn't stand up in my livingroom and cheer the fact that Erik just had his Achilles sliced in half.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy watching Crosby play other teams. I dislike him greatly when he plays the Isles because he usually plays great against them. Crosby sure gets hit a lot with the puck when he plays against the Isles though. This was the 3rd incident.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is an obvious difference. Lindros got caught with his head down, and Kaspar made him pay. It was a hockey play, one that any self-respecting hockeyfan is going to get excited about.

Sid took a slapshot to the neck. A couple of months ago, when Cooke stepped on the back of Karlsson's skate, I didn't stand up in my livingroom and cheer the fact that Erik just had his Achilles sliced in half.

all i'm really saying is the isles fans didn't cheer because the league hates crosby. they were cheering because some fans (of every team) cheer some injuries. every fan has their limit. i see no issue in cheering broken bones and injuries that will, for the most part, heal. i just dont want to see concussions, eye injures, and stuff that will effect the dude long after he retires. i'd like to see today's crosby in pain, i have no ill-will towards the 60-year old version of him though

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all i'm really saying is the isles fans didn't cheer because the league hates crosby. they were cheering because some fans (of every team) cheer some injuries.

I guess we will agree to disagree, because I am of the opinion that was exactly what they were cheering for.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens are lucky not to be down three games to one. They've been thoroughly outplayed over the last three games and deserved to lose them all. The power play is their only saving grace. Fleury has to go and his teammates need to hustle more often or the Isles will take this series. Their offensive speed and pressure is something to behold and the Pens have no answer defensively or in net to this point.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to pens website, vokoun already named starter for game 5.

It's the right decision. Fleury just gave up half a dozen goals, and his last three starts following his game one shutout have been pretty bad.

I really don't know what this move will do for Pittsburgh if they don't start playing smarter hockey in front of whichever netminder is in the cage.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all i'm really saying is the isles fans didn't cheer because the league hates crosby. they were cheering because some fans (of every team) cheer some injuries. every fan has their limit. i see no issue in cheering broken bones and injuries that will, for the most part, heal. i just dont want to see concussions, eye injures, and stuff that will effect the dude long after he retires. i'd like to see today's crosby in pain, i have no ill-will towards the 60-year old version of him though

Meh, it doesn't bother me a lot, but I do think it's because it's Sid. If another guy has that happen, I doubt there's cheering.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the right decision. Fleury just gave up half a dozen goals, and his last three starts following his game one shutout have been pretty bad.

I really don't know what this move will do for Pittsburgh if they don't start playing smarter hockey in front of whichever netminder is in the cage.

Hopefully it's enough to remind them it's necessary. That said, Fleury had too few saves last night. Team D was bad, but he didn't give them a chance.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. i see no issue in cheering broken bones and injuries that will, for the most part, heal. i just dont want to see concussions, eye injures, and stuff that will effect the dude long after he retires. i'd like to see today's crosby in pain, i have no ill-will towards the 60-year old version of him though

Exfuckingactly. The claims that the fans were cheering just because its Sid aren't warranted at all. Doesn't matter who it its, if its not a Devil going down and the player looks like he could be returning within the game, I'm going to cheer. Fuck, I cheer when it happens to Kovy!

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully it's enough to remind them it's necessary. That said, Fleury had too few saves last night. Team D was bad, but he didn't give them a chance.

I really think Bylsma needs to rethink how the Pens are working their breakout passing. It just seems like the Isles forwards are collapsing at the Pens blue-line and continually taking that long lead pass away, along the boards. Would like to see the Pens Dmen just skate the puck up to the redline and start dumping it in.

They just need to be of the mindset of getting the puck deep, and quit trying to make highlight reel passes in the neutral zone. Puck possession in this series is heavily tilted towards the Isles over these past three games. If that continues from here on out, they might as well get the golf clubs out of the garage

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to HF Boards, can anyone guess who and when was the last Penguin goalie besides MAF to start a playoff game?

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got it. Johan Hedberg. May 22, 2001.