• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins v. Islanders Round 1 Series Thread

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LolOfYQ.gif

LOL!

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bylsma actually made some good adjustments this game. On the breakout at least. Look at the dupuis goal. Instead of the stretch pass, Crosby circles back, they enter the zone with control and passing and get a point shot with dupuis driving. It was perfect.

Where Dan hasn't adjusted is accountability. The turnovers are insane. Letang on almost every shift. Adams today for the gtg. Malkin with a horrible one for the gwg. Morrow on the pp last game. Fleury has been brutal but I'm sure he's faced more poorly contested rushes than any other goalie.

So what is Bylsma doing to combat this? He's too nice and I think it hurts the team here.

Pens still have home ice and their regular season team will win 2 straight if it shows up. They have to start Vokoun. He was brought exactly for this situation. Might also be time to see kenedy , at least he has the speed to stick with the isles. Everyone else has to play smarter , more focused and keep things simple.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: WTF is happening Pens? Maybe Crosby should sit the rest of the series. :think:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh snap...Andrew MacDonald (a huge, huge, huge part of the Isles success) is out for the remainder of the postseason with a broken hand. That's a big hit man..

It's a big loss, no question about it. Cappy has to decide whether to play Hickey, Martinek, Finley or Donovan in his place. My guess is Hickey, although Martinek has much more experience & would be my choice.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... Was that goal worse than Marty's own goal from the finals?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anytime you have 2 funny gifs made about you in the same night, you've had a bad night.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voukon has to start Game 5. At least someone who can stop a shot on net. Or at least not deflect one into his own goal.

Pens are feeling the heat of the Islanders. Gotta give the Isles credit. They get pushed...they push back. Not afraid of being behind in the game. Playing with a lot of confidence they will get it done.

Turning into a very enjoyable series. Shouldn't be this much drama, from a Pens perspective.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voukon has to start Game 5. At least someone who can stop a shot on net. Or at least not deflect one into his own goal.

Pens are feeling the heat of the Islanders. Gotta give the Isles credit. They get pushed...they push back. Not afraid of being behind in the game. Playing with a lot of confidence they will get it done.

Turning into a very enjoyable series. Shouldn't be this much drama, from a Pens perspective.

If Bylsma starts Fleury he may as well sign his own pink slip.

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Speed speed and more speed. The Isles present a unique challenage to any team they may meet (if they are able to keep this relentless torrid pace up). Not only do all 4 lines attack in all 3 zones with speed, they also bring the body (Habs have speed but not the body, they try). This talented group of Penguins would be better matched against any other team in the East. Neal, Iggy, Cooke, Morrow, Murray, Eaton, Nisky, etc are just a bit too slow of foot to be where they need to be... the Isles are forcing plays and the Pens outlets just aren't there (why you see so many cute passes and give aways, no one is where they should be in time)... but non of it matters if fleury could stop the pucks he shouldn't even have to stop let alone the ones he should stop... He has made HUGE and TIMELY saves this series, if Fleury can stop the garbage, Pens would be fine... Vokoun... my concern with Vokoun is... he is like Big Ben, not great at their position but they are just winners (i know vokoun never really won anything)... let me explain, Ben is not a great QB, he under throws, over throws, can not hit a guy in stride, but the guy never quits, and just finds a way to win.. a great leader Ben is, not the greatest QB... Vokoun, too me is similar, in the way he just stops the puck at all costs... first I thought it was just horrible rebound control, but no one ever mentioned that, so I am assumnig that is his style, a puck stopper at all cost (like Ben, just move the ball at all costs)... but Vokoun does leave rebounds (ben does get sacked) and I'm afraid the Isles speed once again, will allow them to jump on the rebounds first...

JustAsking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bylsma actually made some good adjustments this game. On the breakout at least. Look at the dupuis goal. Instead of the stretch pass, Crosby circles back, they enter the zone with control and passing and get a point shot with dupuis driving. It was perfect.

Where Dan hasn't adjusted is accountability. The turnovers are insane. Letang on almost every shift. Adams today for the gtg. Malkin with a horrible one for the gwg. Morrow on the pp last game. Fleury has been brutal but I'm sure he's faced more poorly contested rushes than any other goalie.

So what is Bylsma doing to combat this? He's too nice and I think it hurts the team here.

Pens still have home ice and their regular season team will win 2 straight if it shows up. They have to start Vokoun. He was brought exactly for this situation. Might also be time to see kenedy , at least he has the speed to stick with the isles. Everyone else has to play smarter , more focused and keep things simple.

forwards must come back to provide an easier, safer outlet... lets start with getting the puck out of our blueline.

Nisky has had a rough playoff so far... and Letang, has as well, I know the guy is up for a norris and he is a great dman, but everyone has flaws... (I started a thread on the Pens board about Letang awhile ago asking if he slightly ovrerated in terms of playmaking passing: Oops, not on here) Too me, it is no surprise Paul Martin is sometimes the lone Dman with the 1st PP unit, he is just quicker in his head (right now) with decisions... I'm only provided a small window of ice (the TV screen) but it appears Letang just holds onto the puck at times too long getting himself into trouble (Orpik at fault as well with this).

Malkin, I've been saying for years this guy's hockey IQ is lacking... like fleury, he does some magical things, then some of the dumbest things.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forwards must come back to provide an easier, safer outlet... lets start with getting the puck out of our blueline.

Nisky has had a rough playoff so far... and Letang, has as well, I know the guy is up for a norris and he is a great dman, but everyone has flaws... (I started a thread on the Pens board about Letang awhile ago asking if he slightly ovrerated in terms of playmaking passing: Oops, not on here) Too me, it is no surprise Paul Martin is sometimes the lone Dman with the 1st PP unit, he is just quicker in his head (right now) with decisions... I'm only provided a small window of ice (the TV screen) but it appears Letang just holds onto the puck at times too long getting himself into trouble (Orpik at fault as well with this).

Malkin, I've been saying for years this guy's hockey IQ is lacking... like fleury, he does some magical things, then some of the dumbest things.

If Malkin had Sid's decision making abilities we'd have two Sid's...heck, he'd probably be better than Sid. Geno has an incredible amount of raw talent, but even after years in the league he makes terrible choices.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The men and women in attendance last night who cheered when Sid took a puck to the neck should feel ashamed of themselves. You just don't do that.

I'm sure this whole playoff thing feels kind of new to a lot of them, and it's good to support your team, but cheering for someone who could've been potentially severely hurt just doesn't fall into the class of what a normal human being should do.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The men and women in attendance last night who cheered when Sid took a puck to the neck should feel ashamed of themselves. You just don't do that.

I'm sure this whole playoff thing feels kind of new to a lot of them, and it's good to support your team, but cheering for someone who could've been potentially severely hurt just doesn't fall into the class of what a normal human being should do.

I mean, there are New Yorkers in the building...there's gotta be a few of the New Yawkahs in there.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very true I lost count how many times the forwards retreated the zone as soon as the d got the puck. They were out on an island a lot during these breakouts.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Malkin had Sid's decision making abilities we'd have two Sid's...heck, he'd probably be better than Sid. Geno has an incredible amount of raw talent, but even after years in the league he makes terrible choices.

Yep like the nice assist on Taveras's game winner.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a big loss, no question about it. Cappy has to decide whether to play Hickey, Martinek, Finley or Donovan in his place. My guess is Hickey, although Martinek has much more experience & would be my choice.

Joe Finley makes John Scott look like an all star. I wouldn't let him anywhere near the ice.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll cheer any opposing player getting hurt. Its a part of the game. By hurt, I mean missing a shift or two and returning. Cheering for a guy that can't get off the ice on his own power and is out long term. Thats not cool. Sid was fair game last night, nothing tasteless about it

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll cheer any opposing player getting hurt. Its a part of the game. By hurt, I mean missing a shift or two and returning. Cheering for a guy that can't get off the ice on his own power and is out long term. Thats not cool. Sid was fair game last night, nothing tasteless about it

Nope, don't agree.

He took a slapshot to the neck. Laid on the ice for a couple, and then hunched over, limped his way to the bench. That's zero class. Then again, it is New York.

This is just the league-wide haterade showing itself on one Sidney Crosby. He could be laid out, stone cold dead on the ice, and if it's in an opponent's barn, they'll likely clap.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, don't agree.

He took a slapshot to the neck. Laid on the ice for a couple, and then hunched over, limped his way to the bench. That's zero class. Then again, it is New York.

This is just the league-wide haterade showing itself on one Sidney Crosby. He could be laid out, stone cold dead on the ice, and if it's in an opponent's barn, they'll likely clap.

so did that sentiment come before or after the igloo gave kasparaitis a standing-o for leaving lindros dead on the ice?

(not saying you stood and cheered, but it's not 'league-wide haterade' of sid.. it's a leaguewide hatred of other teams)