• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins offseason thread

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me hopes he suffers a career ending injury like Chris Pronger just so we could put him on LTIR, but that would be morally wrong.

Well the contract sucks, but he showed he can play at an elite level in both zones against the Rangers. Not sure I want to just throw that away, when it's likely he just needs better coaching, and a compatible partner.

I'd like to see Letang playing in a real system, and not the 'get to our game' system Dan had them playing.

I bet if Letang played on Chicago, he'd be every bit as good as Duncan Keith.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks, not for 8 years.

I don't think they are trading him anyway, there is something to save. Letang was terrific when paired with Martin. A Maata-Letang pairing is the future top pair for the Pens, as Maata and Martin are very similar in their styles.

Plus the whole stroke thing.

Yeah, when he's not paired with Orpik or Scuderi, he's freer to do what he does best. Scuds was an anchor for him for most of the season.

I think that $7 million defenseman is in there still. The contract hurts, but I don't move him for the sake of moving him, only if we get good value in the trade.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the contract sucks, but he showed he can play at an elite level in both zones against the Rangers. Not sure I want to just throw that away, when it's likely he just needs better coaching, and a compatible partner.

I'd like to see Letang playing in a real system, and not the 'get to our game' system Dan had them playing.

I bet if Letang played on Chicago, he'd be every bit as good as Duncan Keith.

IDK, I don't think he clears the puck in front of the net as well as Keith does. I trust Keith to anchor a defense, Letang is the reason we had to bring Scuderi back, remember?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, I don't think he clears the puck in front of the net as well as Keith does. I trust Keith to anchor a defense, Letang is the reason we had to bring Scuderi back, remember?

Don't agree, I think Letang is plenty willing to clear the net, but the Pens want their d to front the offensive player and tie up sticks, not clear him. I don't think physicality has ever been Letang's problem, more decision making and awareness in the d-zone.

Well, the FO obviously didn't read that situation well, since they had his correct partner on the team the whole time. I agree I don't trust Letang to anchor the defense either, but that doesn't' mean he can't in the future with better coaching etc.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't agree, I think Letang is plenty willing to clear the net, but the Pens want their d to front the offensive player and tie up sticks, not clear him. I don't think physicality has ever been Letang's problem, more decision making and awareness in the d-zone.

Well, the FO obviously didn't read that situation well, since they had his correct partner on the team the whole time. I agree I don't trust Letang to anchor the defense either, but that doesn't' mean he can't in the future with better coaching etc.

I don't think it's the physical aspect that makes him such a poor defensive player, but the mental aspect of it. The system hasn't helped, but he's made so many mental errors in our own zone right in front of the net (many of which were direct results of him not knowing how to play the puck), it's always an adventure when Tang is on D. Not so much with Duncan Keith. Offensively, they're for sure on par, physically, I like the way Tang throws his weight around better, but defensively Keith > Letang, easily. Keith knows what to do when there's a scoring threat, Tang is completely clueless. Maybe he'll get better (won't disagree there), but so far he just looks like a liability to me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's the physical aspect that makes him such a poor defensive player, but the mental aspect of it. The system hasn't helped, but he's made so many mental errors in our own zone right in front of the net (many of which were direct results of him not knowing how to play the puck), it's always an adventure when Tang is on D. Not so much with Duncan Keith. Offensively, they're for sure on par, physically, I like the way Tang throws his weight around better, but defensively Keith > Letang, easily. Keith knows what to do when there's a scoring threat, Tang is completely clueless. Maybe he'll get better (won't disagree there), but so far he just looks like a liability to me.

Letang's not elite defensively, but I don't think it's fair to call him a liability either. It's difficult to assess the Pens' D in front of the net because Bylsma's system is terrible with respect to it, which is why no matter who's out there, that's where the breakdowns seem to happen.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I agree about mentally, but I think that can be taught. Letang used to be much better defensively, he's regressed in the past few years.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letang's not elite defensively, but I don't think it's fair to call him a liability either. It's difficult to assess the Pens' D in front of the net because Bylsma's system is terrible with respect to it, which is why no matter who's out there, that's where the breakdowns seem to happen.

I don't think it's just the system, too many times he misplays the puck right in front of our own net.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I agree about mentally, but I think that can be taught. Letang used to be much better defensively, he's regressed in the past few years.

Yeah, was nice when Tang was our 3rd or 4th best dman. But with a contract of $7.25 million until 2022, he needs to play like an ELITE dman on both ends of the ice IMO.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest report Shero is still 50/50. I don't see him getting fired though.

As for the Letang conversation the good thing with his contract is the NTC he can list up to 12 teams he would be willing to be dealt to. I don't see him moving at all and he will be a Penguin for the foreseable future.

Scuderi I have to wonder if there wasn't some sort of wink, wink with Shero that he was probably going to retire before the contract was up? SInce it is not a +35 deal it would clear off the books if he retired. Also they can't pull a Wade Redden/Sheldon Souray on him with the new CBA any AHL salary over 900,000 counts against the NHL salary cap.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come nobody is mentioning Granato as coach is he not on the staff anymore?

Because we want to go in a completely new direction and our special teams proved to be our weakness down the stretch.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I bet they're both gone. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go with pat Verbeek as gm he has done a good job under yzerman in tampa. Then I'd go Barry trotz as coach those would be my targets.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I bet they're both gone. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

If this is true, I respect their decision to start rebuilding, especially right before the 2015 draft!

:yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think now that we're getting rid of Bylsma and Shero, we need to clean house somewhat. Like I've said many times, I am perfectly willing to sacrifice the entire 2014-15 season to make this happen. Rebuilding is not a bad thing, and it could happen rather quickly in a league with as much parity as the NHL.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true, I respect their decision to start rebuilding, especially right before the 2015 draft!

:yes:

The route I'd go is trade Malkin get a good package back

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think now that we're getting rid of Bylsma and Shero, we need to clean house somewhat. Like I've said many times, I am perfectly willing to sacrifice the entire 2014-15 season to make this happen. Rebuilding is not a bad thing, and it could happen rather quickly in a league with as much parity as the NHL.

Rebuilding is not bad lightning did it got vasi and drouin! Rebuild around Crosby