• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT's week 13 (Dec 29 - Jan 4)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be sucky watching this year's draft, will be like 2013 all over again :L

Well, Perron's in his prime, and a known commodity. I'd rather have him than a late first round draft pick. Especially if Dupuis is, in fact, done, and we'll need a left-winger next year.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not scoring on it, but his shot probably has the best pace of any of our blue liners. I think he's shooting low a lot, though, since we have some many guys who are good around the net when healthy. Hornqvist, Kunitz, Comeau, and Crosby all do their best work on the doorstep. That's a good motivation to shoot to the pads for a defenseman.

IDK, I guess I just don't get all that excited when Ehrhoff gets the puck at the point. I find myself cringing more often than not to tell you the truth.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Perron's in his prime, and a known commodity. I'd rather have him than a late first round draft pick. Especially if Dupuis is, in fact, done, and we'll need a left-winger next year.

Perron will only have 1 year left after this year tho. Unless we re-sign him (which I doubt we do) it's not a good long term move. Unless you believe this team is a legitimate Cup contender, which I don't.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comeau's thrived on Geno's right win, so when he's back, I imagine that's where he'll go. Spaling will probably slide down to the third line. I'm guessing something like:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Comeau
Spaling-Sutter-Bennett
Rust/Sill/Adams/Farnham-Goc-Downie

I like Bennett in that top six. If that guy can just stay healthy, I think he will show the coaching staff where his pedigree belongs eventually. He's not a bottom six forward. He has the play making ability to be with Geno or Sid. And Comeau playing on that third line with Spaling and Sutter wouldn't be a bad thing. They are three guys who are tough to play against, and that is what you want from the third line going against top lines of the opponent.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Bennett in that top six. If that guy can just stay healthy, I think he will show the coaching staff where his pedigree belongs eventually. He's not a bottom six forward. He has the play making ability to be with Geno or Sid. And Comeau playing on that third line with Spaling and Sutter wouldn't be a bad thing. They are three guys who are tough to play against, and that is what you want from the third line going against top lines of the opponent.

True, I like Bennett in the top 6 as well, preferably in Dup's place. But him & Sutter work nicely too.

Also hate to say this but putting anyone good on Skid's line is a waste right now :L

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, I like Bennett in the top 6 as well, preferably in Dup's place. But him & Sutter work nicely too.

Bennett does play well with Sutter. He can play well with anyone, IMO. His value goes up exponentially when he's paired up with top talent. Those two passes Bennett made on Wednesday night to Kunitz and Sutter were served on silver platters. All those guys had to do was crank it. His passing ability is elite.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he's a top six forward, too, but Bennett and Sutter look great together, and this spreads out our scoring a little more. Plus, I think Bennett's a better defender than Comeau, mostly because he's such a smart player. I also like having a crasher on Geno's line, but if we stick Bennett on his right wing, I guess Kunitz could fill that role.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett does play well with Sutter. He can play well with anyone, IMO. His value goes up exponentially when he's paired up with top talent. Those two passes Bennett made on Wednesday night to Kunitz and Sutter were served on silver platters. All those guys had to do was crank it. His passing ability is elite.

I agree, he's a smart player, always impressed with his awareness. But right now, I would actually rather he play with Sutter than play with Skid. Sutter is playing better right now.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had a say, I would just put Kunitz, Sutter, & Bennett on the same line. But that won't happen so no delusions here.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's a top six forward, too, but Bennett and Sutter look great together, and this spreads out our scoring a little more. Plus, I think Bennett's a better defender than Comeau, mostly because he's such a smart player. I also like having a crasher on Geno's line, but if we stick Bennett on his right wing, I guess Kunitz could fill that role.

You're right about spreading the wealth on scoring. That has been a problem for them in the post-season. It is a good problem to have for Johnston going forward, though, if everyone can return to the lineup. Missing guys like Hornqvist and Comeau aren't helping them gain some needed experience with their linemates.

I'm very excited to see what Perron can do. You know he will be flying when he makes his debut. Probably feels like he's escaping the gulag in Siberia. :nod:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to think of it Center-Wing pairs.

Hornqvist-Crosby
Perron-Malkin
Bennett-Sutter

Then add in Kunitz, Spaling, Comeau, and Downie where necessary. I really want to see Sid and Kunitz broken up for a while, it's just not working anymore.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've been nice if we started out slow, or waited till the deadline. I think we could've gotten more for that draft pick.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've been nice if we started out slow, or waited till the deadline. I think we could've gotten more for that draft pick.

Really no evidence of that, top 6 winger that will be around next year, for a late first round pick and a warm body is a pretty solid deal. Mediocre rentals like Paul Gaustad or Mike Fisher go for first round picks at the deadline.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had a say, I would just put Kunitz, Sutter, & Bennett on the same line. But that won't happen so no delusions here.

I really liked the look of that line, and with our new depth of forwards, that might actually be a possibility once everyone's healthy. Spaling can handle a top-six role reasonably well, and with Perron slotting in up there as well, Kunitz could be bumped to the third line.

You're right about spreading the wealth on scoring. That has been a problem for them in the post-season. It is a good problem to have for Johnston going forward, though, if everyone can return to the lineup. Missing guys like Hornqvist and Comeau aren't helping them gain some needed experience with their linemates.

I'm very excited to see what Perron can do. You know he will be flying when he makes his debut. Probably feels like he's escaping the gulag in Siberia. :nod:

Oh yeah, Perron has been productive playing with not-great talent. I'm excited to see how he handles top flight players like Crosby and Malkin.

I like to think of it Center-Wing pairs.

Hornqvist-Crosby
Perron-Malkin
Bennett-Sutter

Then add in Kunitz, Spaling, Comeau, and Downie where necessary. I really want to see Sid and Kunitz broken up for a while, it's just not working anymore.

I actually think Malkin-Kunitz is a good option for a pair, too. They've worked well together in the past. But Crosby and Hornqvist and Bennett and Sutter do look too good together to break up.

--
Overall, thinking about it more, I think I might go with something like:

Spaling-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Comeau
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett

Another note, we suddenly have a lot of right-handed shooters.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't worry about that late 1st rd. pick, Doob. Edmonton will screw it up. They always do. :dance:

Also, outside of the top ten picks, there's not that much extra value as you move down the drafting order. You can find a lot of talent, but there's a lot of risk to it after the top ten.

Plus, if we deal Martin, we may recoup a pick. Even an offseason trade of his negotiating rights could get us a decent second rounder, which won't be that much lower than the first we traded for Perron.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, outside of the top ten picks, there's not that much extra value as you move down the drafting order. You can find a lot of talent, but there's a lot of risk to it after the top ten.

Plus, if we deal Martin, we may recoup a pick. Even an offseason trade of his negotiating rights could get us a decent second rounder, which won't be that much lower than the first we traded for Perron.

That is true about Martin and getting a pick in return for him, or even someone else. Who knows what JR does come the deadline. He could easily get something comparable back like you said in a early second rounder, or even another 1st, depending on what he does. Draft is still months away. He could get it back.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching some Perron highlights on youtube; he plays in front of the net on the pp, and does a good job of screening/tips ins, likes to shoot (and score) from weird angles, and really loves scoring goals. He reacts to goal scoring similar to how Malkin does, very excited each time.