• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAY THE MAN!!!!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Dodgers and left-hander Clayton Kershaw could agree to a record-breaking deal this week.
The Dodgers, according to major league sources, want to sign Kershaw to a contract extension by Friday, when clubs must exchange contract proposals with players who filed for arbitration.
The deadline for “pre-exchange contracts” that day is 1 p.m. ET. The two sides are working to complete a deal before then, knowing that the difference between the Dodgers' offer and Kershaw’s request could be significant, sources said.
FOX Sports reported in August that Kershaw was close to signing a record-setting, seven-year extension in the $210 million range earlier last season before the Dodgers backed off.
The contract under discussion then would have included an opt-out clause, giving Kershaw the right to become a free agent after five years, sources said.

Kershaw, after winning his second NL Cy Young Award in 2013, could ask for more than $20 million in arbitration, eclipsing Prince Fielder’s record $15.5 million settlement in 2011.
This is Kershaw’s final year of arbitration before he becomes eligible for free agency, and he is coming off a two-year, $19 million contract.
MLBTradeRumors.com projects Kershaw to receive $18.25 million through arbitration. The Dodgers likely would offer him less than that.
Kershaw and the Dodgers discussed a variety of proposals early in the negotiations, including 10 years, $250 million and $12 years, $300 million, sources said.
Since then, Kershaw’s resume only has improved – he now has led the National League in ERA in each of the past three seasons, and his 1.83 mark in 2013 was the lowest in the majors since Pedro Martinez’s 1.74 mark in 2000.

An average salary of $30 million would match the highest in baseball history: CC Sabathia’s one-year, $30 million extension with the New York Yankees in 2011.
A deal of more than $200 million would be the largest ever for a pitcher, surpassing Justin Verlander’s seven-year, $180 million deal with the Detroit Tigers.
A five-year opt-out, meanwhile, would allow Kershaw to hit the open market at 30 and perhaps secure an even bigger deal. The Dodgers granted a similar clause to free-agent right-hander Zack Greinke last offseason, enabling him to escape his six-year, $147 million contract after three years.
Kershaw and Grienke are represented by the same agent, Casey Close. The Dodgers also are involved in the bidding for another of Close’s clients, Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another off season, another Pablo Sanchez "best shape of his life" item.

Reports from Venezuela say he has lost 42 lbs since last season.

And so the cycle continues.....

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
assuming he will always play 32 games, that's not worth $30million. almost $10mill/game? this is getting out of hand. I see a strike in 2016. these contracts are way out of whack.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the business world had gotten over itself and was smarter than this now? I guess not. I just know I have faced this issue my whole life.

I kept the hair, and am happy that I never became a sellout.

On paper, Rob Ryan of the Saints appears to have a stellar NFL head coaching resume.
The 51-year-old has worked as a defensive coordinator for four teams, including the Cleveland Browns, who are looking for a new head coach. In his first year in New Orleans, Ryan turned one of the worst defenses in NFL history into the fourth-ranked unit in the league. His short tenure has been so impressive that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has already admitted that it was a mistake to fire Ryan.
Ryan's schemes and teaching methods are in high demand, especially with NFL offenses advancing at such a fast pace. So, what's holding him back?
Apparently, it's not what's in Ryan's head that scares away teams, it's what's on his head.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said several NFL executives told him that Ryan's flowing locks won't fly with front offices.
"If he wants to be a head coach, he has to cut his hair," Mortensen said, quoting team executives. "It is about image for these guys. They want a CEO-type. That's what they want."
This puts Ryan in a hairy situation. He has the resume and the pedigree to be a head coach (his twin brother, Rex, is the coach of the Jets and his father, Buddy, coached the Eagles and Cardinals). But he may need to shave his locks.
For his part, Saints head coach Sean Payton thinks Ryan is ready for a top job.
"Obviously he's a coach that I think is going to be a head coach,” Payton said. "Obviously we made great improvements from a year ago. He brings an enthusiasm with him, a personality that is contagious."

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, will this lead to a rash of drop box theft?

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Amnesty boxes are going up at the Colorado Springs airport for those who didn't realize that it's illegal to carry pot on a plane.
Under the Colorado law legalizing recreational marijuana, it is legal to leave the drug in a parked car at the airport. Bringing marijuana inside is, however, prohibited. Officials are encouraging people to leave their marijuana behind, but they also want to help people who broke the law and don't want to miss their flights. Installation of the boxes begins on Wednesday.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to be a enormous contract

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at what point does the media start accusing this guy of PED's? or is that subject limited to the northeast?

Probably sooner than later, as you don't need any proof what so ever to accuse......

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the sendoff Mariano got on his farewell tour last year? Well there is another one coming, or, at least very likely.

It seems that Bud Selig is also considering something similar.

This could go epically wrong and bad, and, I hope it does.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably sooner than later, as you don't need any proof what so ever to accuse......

agreed 100%. which is why I can't stand the media. the accusers seem to always have an upper hand. back in my younger years, you needed a thing called proof.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
assuming he will always play 32 games, that's not worth $30million. almost $10mill/game? this is getting out of hand. I see a strike in 2016. these contracts are way out of whack.

Doesn't MLB have a "soft" salary cap" akin to the NBA that allows teams to exceed the cap if they are prepared to pay a luxury tax (as opposed to the "hard" cap in the NFL)? Seems to me that the only way to reign in salaries is to establish a hard cap. It's my understanding, however, that players' union in MLB is stronger than in those other leagues, so that might present an obstacle to establishing a hard cap.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the sendoff Mariano got on his farewell tour last year? Well there is another one coming, or, at least very likely.

"mariano is a PED user" ~ random internet people

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw is the man, though. Best starter in MLB right now?

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't MLB have a "soft" salary cap" akin to the NBA that allows teams to exceed the cap if they are prepared to pay a luxury tax (as opposed to the "hard" cap in the NFL)? Seems to me that the only way to reign in salaries is to establish a hard cap. It's my understanding, however, that players' union in MLB is stronger than in those other leagues, so that might present an obstacle to establishing a hard cap.

ok if that happens, you will get the same result as the NFL. 1/2 the league will be on a minimum salary while bud selig gets the biggest check. remember, goodell is getting over $30mill/yr which is more than any player.

and let's not forget that inflation is almost half the Yankees fault for buying all-stars since babe ruth.

on the point that the players' union is stronger in MLB - each team has 81 home games, double the NBA and 10X compared to NFL. if the dodgers are selling out every game and the padres are not, how would a salary cap help either team? :noidea:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you're right about that. Despite having closed the door on so many teams so many times, I think that there was a lot of admiration for Rivera among baseball fans in general for a player who had been so dominant at his craft. I am not aware of anything approaching that level of admiration for Selig.