• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAY THE MAN!!!!

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kershaw is the man, though. Best starter in MLB right now?

there's no way he puts up those numbers in the AL. he faces a pitcher every 9 batters. for reference, see sabathia's numbers in Milwaukee LOL

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's no way he puts up those numbers in the AL. he faces a pitcher every 9 batters. for reference, see sabathia's numbers in Milwaukee LOL

Definitely tougher on average to make it through an AL lineup than it is an NL lineup, but I think that the top guys are pretty capable of both. I don't know the exact numbers, but as recently as only two or three years ago, wasn't CC pretty dominant in the AL?

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another off season, another Pablo Sanchez "best shape of his life" item.

Reports from Venezuela say he has lost 42 lbs since last season.

And so the cycle continues.....

Really, D? Have some coffee. My fat 3rd baseman is Sandoval, thankyouverymuch.
Secondly... Is there any type of confidentiality rule with sports agents/clients? If he plays his cards right, Casey Close is going to just soak the Dodgers. Haha and FUCK. :laugh3: :doh:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really, D? Have some coffee. My fat 3rd baseman is Sandoval, thankyouverymuch.
Secondly... Is there any type of confidentiality rule with sports agents/clients? If he plays his cards right, Casey Close is going to just soak the Dodgers. Haha and FUCK. :laugh3: :doh:

My first mistake today. Certainly not to be my last.

I guess my head is only in the area of spring training plans at the moment?

Funny how I will be skipping Scottsdale again this year.......

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1526965_765518006800377_1293846369_n.jpg

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can live with PFM having gone undrafted in MLB, since Elway was drafted in the 18th round by NYY!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The P is for Peyton and the M is for Manning. Hope that Fucking helps! LOL

That was my guess actually. However, as we were not discussing Manning, it came at me from left field.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't say?

Well, as this reply shows blank to me, to me, you didn't.......
Darn you & your gubbmint interwebz police! It was a pic of the last 4 QBs standing. Three of four were, at one time (twice, in Wilson's case), drafted to the MLB. All except PFM.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my guess actually. However, as we were not discussing Manning, it came at me from left field.

He is the player in the bottom right corner of the four football players above my post. Probably should have quoted the post with that pic in it to make my post clearer. For some strange reason, as much cyberspace as I waste, I sometimes feel compelled to try and conserve space! :noidea:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darn you & your gubbmint interwebz police! It was a pic of the last 4 QBs standing. Three of four were, at one time (twice, in Wilson's case), drafted to the MLB. All except PFM.

And, like always, with more info come better understanding.

And, in respect to TD, context.

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how big satan manning's forehead gets, he's not stealing TOM FUCKING BRADY'S middle name!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how big satan manning's forehead gets, he's not stealing TOM FUCKING BRADY'S middle name!

....which I think is still on loan from Bucky Dent......

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it getting warmer in here?

leah-francis4-1.jpg

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL Good point. Guess I'll have to revert back to PMFM!

Brocktagon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great read

Sunday afternoon in the AFC championship game. The Broncos are playing at home, they NEED to win — or, more accurately Peyton Manning NEEDS to win — and they are probably the better team.

If that happens much of the football world will point out that the Patriots have not won a Super Bowl in nine years and that they are one year closer to the end of The Tom Brady era, which might also mark the end of the Bill Belichick era. The losses will be analyzed and a conclusion, that may very well be accurate, will be reached: the best days of Brady and Belichick are behind them.

All of which will entirely miss the point.

Belichick has many detractors because of his public persona: dour, humorless, unwilling to share very many real insights, paranoid. To be fair, there isn’t an NFL coach who isn’t the latter two. Most — if not all — act as if they are protecting national security secrets when they talk about their team. If there is one circle the NSA probably can’t crack it is the secret society that is the NFL.

Belichick takes it to another level. He is so famous for his lack of humor that The Wall Street Journal actually counted the number of times he smiled during press conferences this season: seven. And that’s with a team that is 13-4.

If Belichick were a hail fellow well met ala Rex Ryan or even John Harbaugh — who smiles frequently while not giving any true insights in his press conference answers — a lot less people would want to find ways to cast aspersions on his coaching record.

What you hear most often about Belichick from detractors is this: how good a coach was he before Tom Brady became his quarterback?

The answer is this: not as good. Then again, how good would Bill Walsh have been without Joe Montana? How good would Don Shula have been without Bob Griese or Dan Marino? (Shula, for the record, never won another Super Bowl after going back-to-back in VII and VIII — seven and eight in English) How about Lombardi without Starr?

Great coaches in any sport, when they’re being honest, will tell you that there are three keys to success in coaching:

1. Great players.
2. Great players
3. Great players

Of course if you’re going to be fair to Belichick — something many people are loathe to do — he went 11-5 in 2008 when Brady was injured in the opening game and Matt Cassel was his quarterback for the rest of the season. You can bet the rest of the AFC breathed a sigh of relief when the Cassel-led Patriots somehow didn’t qualify for the playoffs that season.

Brady was a sixth-round draft pick — the 199th player chosen in the 2000 NFL draft. He was, basically, an afterthought, chosen in case someone got hurt that season. He began training camp No. 4 on the depth chart behind Drew Bledsoe, John Friesz and Michael Bishop. By the end of that season he was Bledsoe’s backup and when Bledsoe was hurt in the second game of the 2001 season, he became the starter. We all know what happened after that.

Like Belichick, Brady is not the most popular guy in the NFL. Part of it — as Joe Namath referenced this week — is because women swoon at the sight of him and he is married to a super-model after having had a child with a different super-model. Simple jealousy.

Also like Belichick, Brady rarely shares his real feelings in public. He is close-to-the-vest and often comes across as arrogant. He DOES show his feelings on the football field and he’s often criticized for THAT, especially when he makes it clear to a teammate that he isn’t happy with a particular play or with a mistake.

Of course Belichick and Brady don’t really care whether they are liked or disliked. If they did, both are bright enough to change their act and they have no interest in doing that. Their only interest is in continuing to win — which they’ve done with remarkable consistency. No doubt both would like to have another crack at The Super Bowl and both would like to have the two losses to the Giants in the ultimate game back.

But when you talk about dynasties in today’s day and age, you can’t not talk about the Patriots and Belichick and Brady. Sunday will be the 9th time in the last 13 seasons that the Patriots have played in a conference title game. It is a sports cliché that all you can hope for in any season is to be in position to win. The Patriots have been in that position almost every year in the Belichick-Brady era, missing the playoffs twice — once in that 11-5 Cassel season — since Brady became the starting quarterback.

Could they have gone to more than five Super Bowls and won more than three? Perhaps. But very few dynasties — with the exceptions of UCLA which won the national title 10 times in 11 Final Four trips and the Celtics who won 11 NBA titles in 13 seasons — win all the time. Even Lombardi lost his first championship game. Mike Krzyzewski is 4-4 in national title games and Dean Smith won twice in 11 Final Four trips. The Atlanta Braves went to postseason 14 straight times — and won one World Series.

And, of course, the Buffalo Bills went to four straight Super Bowls and never won.

The Bills became a punch line — which was entirely unfair. When Marv Levy, their coach was asked once about losing four straight Super Bowls he said, “You know how you avoid that? Don’t MAKE four straight Super Bowls.”

His point was well-taken. The Bills were very good but never very lucky. No one thinks of them as a dynasty, but in their own way, they were.

And the Patriots are too — more so of course because they have three Lombardi Trophies sitting in their headquarters.

UCLA and the Celtics were dominant in very different times than what exists today. UCLA and John Wooden never had to leave the west to play in a regional and won one of its titles on its home court at Pauley Pavilion. The Celtics of Auerbach and Russell won in what was a nine-team league for most of their run, a 12-team league in 1969.That’s not to detract from what either did but winning the whole thing was easier then. There are 32 NFL teams now. There is also a salary cap and free agency — a very different world.

Through all that the one certainty in the NFL most years is the Patriots being in the conversation well into January. They may not make it to February this season. People may not like Belichick and Brady very much.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t appreciate and enjoy what they have accomplished

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In all honesty, I thought Manning's was MF but since TDs3 is a Denver guy, I figured he'd know better. hmmmm...

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the "Don't taze me bro" guy from 5 or so years ago? Well, here is a spin on that, that I will call "Don't taze the ho"

Remember the dude that Tasered his wife following a bet on the Bears-Packers game in November?

His name is John M. Grant, and he was found guilty of using a stun gun on his wife and subsequently fined $250.
According to reports, Grant, a Bears fan, bet his wife, a Packers fan, that he could use a Taser on her if Chicago won the Monday night matchup Nov. 4. Of course, that was the game Aaron Rodgers broke his collarbone in and Josh McCown led the Bears to a 27-20 victory.
So Grant did what any red-blooded (drunk) American man would do: He paid up on his bet, no matter how ridiculous it was.
Grant Tasered his wife twice in the buttocks (to which she responded "hell ya it hurt" in what may be the most underrated and obvious quote of all time) outside a bar in Wisconsin, prompting Grant's charge with felony possession of an electronic weapon.

Grant was also forced to pay court costs in addition to the fine — a total of $568.