• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots trade Chandler Jones to Cardinals

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about this for New England. This could seriously hamper their defense. Who's going to rush the passer for them now? In 2014 they could get away with an inferior pass rush because they had Revis on the back end. Without an elite talent like him now to make up for the lack of a pass rush, good quarterbacks could expose this defense.
Sheard is already a better D Lineman than Jones. The Pat's will be fine there.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones had already started indicating that he would be looking for a max contract with a huge guarantee. I think he was smoking some of that Colorado Medical Weed. Rumors were that he would be willing to sign a new contract for $12M a year for 5 years. He wanted $30M Guaranteed and a $12M Signing bonus. That was all rumor, but with the free agents this year getting big bucks, it wouldn't be surprising. Belichick still has to figure out how he will resign Malcolm Butler, Dontae Hightower and Jamie Collins next year.

And Chandler who is quite a good player is not at the top of that list.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a deal that serves several purposes for New England.......... as others have said it is a win/win for NE and the Cards.
I see it as a win for the Cards but where is it a win for the Pats?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another BB rebuild:suds:

The No. 7 overall pick of the 2013 draft, Cooper's Cardinals tenure never got going, due in large part to injury. He missed his entire rookie year with a broken leg before suffering all manner of minor ailments. He began 2015 as the Cardinals' starting right guard, but was benched for backup-talent Ted Larsen. The Cardinals were considering moving Cooper to center before dealing him. The Pats had one of the league's very worst interior lines in 2015, so Cooper will be a candidate at all three spots. Cooper turned 26 in January. It's no guarantee he saves his career in New England.
Trading for an injury prone OG and a late 2nd round pick for a double digit pass rusher doesn't make any sense.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even forgetting about Jones contract demands going forward, I get why everyone's first reaction is that this is a horrible move by NE, but I'm not so sure it is quite that bad. If I were Arizona I would have liked to have given Cooper one more shot to try to be healthy and see what he could do. He really has barely been healthy since in the league and has been moved around too. I guess the fact that the 2nd round pick is really late (almost a 3rd) kind of hurts too...

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its an NBA type of trade. You trade your asset for pennies on the dollar instead of watching him leave for nothing.

The Patriots with Cooper and Long and without Jones are a worse team by quite a bit imo. They need to get something from this draft.

Arizona still needs to make moves to compete with Carolina, though. Obviously a bad matchup for them still but a pass rusher helps a lot.

Seahawks d says hi

I'll enjoy seeing him, chase the Wee One all over twice a year.....

Although I am a hawks fan. Im intreged to see this

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I do love when the NE spin machine starts up. Now Jones disappears, isn't at the top of their list to re-sign, etc...God forbid one of us would have made those claims before he was traded. All of NE would have been out claiming his excellence...

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading for an injury prone OG and a late 2nd round pick for a double digit pass rusher doesn't make any sense.

As mentioned before we have a number of good defensive players that will be coming up next year that are more important to retain. i.e. Collins, Hightower and Butler. None of this is saying Chandler wasn't a very good player just not the most important one for the D.

I think they had already determined they couldn't meet the numbers Chandler would be looking for so this way they got something for a player that likely would have gone to the free-agent market anyways. The Patriots have some rushers in Sheard and Ninkovich as well as some promising interior linemen. Plus they aren't bad at getting defensive linemen via free-agency and the draft (as opposed to something like WR where they never seem to draft well).

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm stoked. He fills a need for us and Cooper has been a bust for us so far.

Steve Keim is a beast.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick must be going senile if he thinks this was a good trade for the Pats.

It's a lot more than they would have gotten next year.

So while not great or even maybe good, it certainly wasn't bad.

Life in the days of the cap sucks. especially when you have 4 or 5 youngin's coming due all at once.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Collins, Hightower and Butler are the keepers and neither of them has ever showed up at the police station half nekked all strung out on Spice.
That is the one unknown thing. Its possible Jones was too risky for off-the-field reasons.

Cooper was the 7th pick in the draft so he obviously has some talent. With Scar coming back to coach the O-line he might finally show why he was chosen so high.
I see the upside but Cooper is like the Trent Richardson of offensive linemen right now.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks to see him go that's for sure. But they wouldn't have been able to sign him sadly. They do get about $5.5 million cap for 2016 so that helps... BUT Cooper is owed what $11 million in 2017

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just hope BB doesn't trade away the 2nd round pick and actually gets someone decent

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper has been a bust. He just can't seem to stay healthy. This year he was finally healthy, but he couldn't keep his job from being taken by a journeyman interior lineman. He is a good run blocker, but is just an average pass blocker. There was even talk of moving him to center this offseason.

The problem for the Cardinals is that Cooper was a high draft pick who was making a good amount of money & was going into to the final year of his contract. There was little chance of the Cardinals exercising his fifth year option & paying him $11+ mil for 2017. And there was little chance at this point of working out an extension for him till he showed his talent can translate to the field. The clock was ticking.

The Cardinals were desperate for a pass rusher, but the 2016 market was setup so that all the pass rushers were getting overpaid.

It's a win/win for both teams. The Cardinals get a young pass rusher who they can extend & not pay obscene market rates, the patriots get a young interior o-lineman with upside & a day two draft pick.

Last edited:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it seems like they didn't want to give him a Justin Houston type contract but uh...pass rushers are kind of a big deal.

The Patriots locker room has to be pissed

So is an offensive line when your QB is in his late 30's.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper has been a bust. He just can't seem to stay healthy. This year he was finally healthy, but he couldn't keep his job from being taken by a journeyman interior lineman. He is a good run blocker, but is just an average pass blocker. There was even talk of moving him to center this offseason.

The problem for the Cardinals is that Cooper was a high draft pick who was making a good amount of money & was going into to the final year of his contract. There was little chance of the Cardinals exercising his fifth year option & paying him $11+ mil for 2017. And there was little chance at this point of working out an extension for him till he showed his talent can translate to the field. The clock was ticking.

The Cardinals were desperate for a pass rusher, but the 2016 market was setup so that all the pass rushers were getting overpaid.

It's a win/win for both teams. The Cardinals get a young pass rusher who they can extend & not pay obscene market rates, the patriots get a young interior o-lineman with upside & a day two draft pick.

People on these boards sometimes don't read the tea leaves correctly.

The Pats got a second round pick, and a OL. Not the other way around.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I couldn't be happier. The Cards biggest issue last year was lack of pass rush.

As for Cooper, he has been an injury prone disappointment. Even after his injury issues the Cardinals gave him every chance to stay on the field and he simply underperformed. He is considered very soft for an offense Lineman. Maybe the quick passing new England offense bodes well for him, but he was never going to work in Arizona.

The cards are already on the move to add More depth to the online. They offered a contract to Evan Mathis. Based on Cooper's play, a 34-year-old Mathis is an upgrade believe it or not. Hopefully Mathis takes the deal.