• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots trade Chandler Jones to Cardinals

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just announced on WEEI.....this trade gives New England an additional $5.6M in cap space this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this article with a google search. The tl;dr on Cooper has been that be has been the awful combination of bad and injury prone.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Cardinals took small steps toward better health Wednesday, not that it will have much discernible effect when it comes to the on-field product against the St. Louis Rams on Sunday.

The most notable development for the Cardinals was a full practice from guard Jonathan Cooper. Cooper missed the past two games with a knee injury, and seems to have lost his starting job at right guard in the process.

Veteran Ted Larsen has usurped the former first-round pick, according to coach Bruce Arians.

“Ted’s playing better,” Arians said.

Given the history of Arians’ criticism of Cooper and fellow first-rounder D.J. Humphries, the tackle drafted by the Cardinals this past spring, that comment may seem damning. But Arians insists that’s not the case.

Both players have pleased the head coach with their progress, Arians said. It’s just that with the Cardinals fighting for a first-round playoff bye, the coach doesn’t feel like dealing with the growing pains of a young player when a steadier option is available.

“When you look at the offensive linemen that are coming out of college today, it’s going to take them a while to get at this level,” Arians said. “(Cooper’s) tough, he’s athletic. He’s just continuing to grow. Right now we don’t have time for the growth, because Teddy’s got more experience and he’s playing better. But I think he’s going to be a heck of a player, just like D.J.

Thanks...Sounds like he was expendable.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its an NBA type of trade. You trade your asset for pennies on the dollar instead of watching him leave for nothing.

The Patriots with Cooper and Long and without Jones are a worse team by quite a bit imo. They need to get something from this draft.

Arizona still needs to make moves to compete with Carolina, though. Obviously a bad matchup for them still but a pass rusher helps a lot.

We know BB will move a guy early that he knows will cost more than they think he's worth as a FA...I agree they got worse with this trade, but the DL depth in this draft helps his cause, and they yield a decent pick that should help at some point.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know BB will move a guy early that he knows will cost more than they think he's worth as a FA...I agree they got worse with this trade, but the DL depth in this draft helps his cause, and they yield a decent pick that should help at some point.
Its pretty smart to do a 'life after Brady' trade that appears to give Brady a top oline prospect. It has the upside of being win-win for the Patriots if Cooper ends up being a solid starter. He likely won't but even if he doesn't, Jones likely wasn't in their long term plans.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I would view this as good for both teams. The two players traded were not in the long-term plans of the team they were on so might as well move them to a team for a piece that you actually need. Jones is obviously more valuable than a back up RG so makes sense that a 2nd round pick was thrown in. The Cardinals would not have gotten such a great pass rusher in the 2nd of this draft so now they have a high quality guy on the outside that can really bolster that defense.

Cooper is a guy I loved his talent coming out but he just never put it together. Sometimes a change in scenery can be huge for a player. Just have to see how this all turns out. I will give Arizona the nod as they do have the one proven commodity in this trade.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy that they are filling the holes on the OL, keeping Brady standing is very important to me.
And I'm sure @HammerDown agrees.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper is a guy I loved his talent coming out but he just never put it together. Sometimes a change in scenery can be huge for a player. Just have to see how this all turns out. I will give Arizona the nod as they do have the one proven commodity in this trade.

Going from Arian's pass block for forever and a day system to the quick release NE offense will do wonders for him and allow his ability in the run game to stand out.

Conversly Jones will get to star in Arizona as they have nothing in the way of pass rush until now. Hell the corpse of Dwight Freeney was their best pass rusher by a long shot last year.

Really is a win/win I think.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Scarnacchia can make Cooper into an all-pro guard type..

I'm always nervous about too much change but I'll trust the Bellichick brain-trust.

Last edited:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crunch was next year Jones, Hightower, Collins and Butler all become free agents.

Jones could be lost to highest bidder for almost nothing. And they have to re-sign the latter 3 for sure.

So his value was high now.

The Patriot way.
Belichick must be going senile if he thinks this was a good trade for the Pats.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it seems like they didn't want to give him a Justin Houston type contract but uh...pass rushers are kind of a big deal.

The Patriots locker room has to be pissed

Why? Collins, Hightower and Butler are the keepers and neither of them has ever showed up at the police station half nekked all strung out on Spice.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going from Arian's pass block for forever and a day system to the quick release NE offense will do wonders for him and allow his ability in the run game to stand out.

That makes sense. I still see though Cooper even in the run game instead of trying to square up a blocker trying to reach and get a good punch on them but whiffing on certain occasions. That is where he needs to improve to be a consistent starter in this league. Like I said I like his talent but at least when it comes to this trade Chandler Jones is the proven player so as of right now today I would put Arizona as the winner. Doesn't mean that can't reverse as we see what they get for the 2nd round pick and how Cooper fits into their system.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, its an NBA type of trade. You trade your asset for pennies on the dollar instead of watching him leave for nothing.

The Patriots with Cooper and Long and without Jones are a worse team by quite a bit imo. They need to get something from this draft.

Arizona still needs to make moves to compete with Carolina, though. Obviously a bad matchup for them still but a pass rusher helps a lot.

Cooper was the 7th pick in the draft so he obviously has some talent. With Scar coming back to coach the O-line he might finally show why he was chosen so high.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Collins, Hightower and Butler are the keepers and neither of them has ever showed up at the police station half nekked all strung out on Spice.

Does anyone know if the drug he was on is illegal to use in the NFL which would put him in the NFL drug testing program?

If it was, I would have probably looked to move him too after all the issues we have seen his brother go thru with substance abuse.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick must be going senile if he thinks this was a good trade for the Pats.

It's a deal that serves several purposes for New England.......... as others have said it is a win/win for NE and the Cards.

clemtheslowson

back from the dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know if the drug he was on is illegal to use in the NFL which would put him in the NFL drug testing program?

If it was, I would have probably looked to move him too after all the issues we have seen his brother go thru with substance abuse.
I don't believe Spice is a banned substance. You can buy it legally around here, where the city officials haven't banned it's sale, that is.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not positive, but I don't believe the synthetic weed he was toking is on the "list".

Could be that the incident combined with his brother's history made NE leery of giving him a big contract, but I honestly think he was going to be odd man out no matter what. Too many other contracts are coming due and there is only so much cap space to play with.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about this for New England. This could seriously hamper their defense. Who's going to rush the passer for them now? In 2014 they could get away with an inferior pass rush because they had Revis on the back end. Without an elite talent like him now to make up for the lack of a pass rush, good quarterbacks could expose this defense.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper was the 7th pick in the draft so he obviously has some talent. With Scar coming back to coach the O-line he might finally show why he was chosen so high.
Another BB rebuild:suds:

The No. 7 overall pick of the 2013 draft, Cooper's Cardinals tenure never got going, due in large part to injury. He missed his entire rookie year with a broken leg before suffering all manner of minor ailments. He began 2015 as the Cardinals' starting right guard, but was benched for backup-talent Ted Larsen. The Cardinals were considering moving Cooper to center before dealing him. The Pats had one of the league's very worst interior lines in 2015, so Cooper will be a candidate at all three spots. Cooper turned 26 in January. It's no guarantee he saves his career in New England.