• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots D looks poor

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont who or why people thought this was an elite defense to begin with

This team will and must be carried by that offense, and I wouldnt be too concerned with that just yet

But if we are seeing a lesser version of Gronk, that would change things a lot...But it could just be rust, we will see
he looked FINE all preseason. he played for the first time since 2012, for a reason.

hes fine.

jesus people.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took pleasure in watching NE suck ass last night, but it's still just 1 game. I don't think Brady goes from being on top of his game to a < 50% passer so abruptly as it may have appeared in this one. And if there's a coach out there that can turn a team after a crappy performance, it's BB.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took pleasure in watching NE suck ass last night, but it's still just 1 game. I don't think Brady goes from being on top of his game to a < 50% passer so abruptly as it may have appeared in this one. And if there's a coach out there that can turn a team after a crappy performance, it's BB.

NE 77
Saints 68

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen Smith does throw the short routes a ton but that's the first read in that offense in most instances. Same thing we saw when McNabb ran it. I'm just hoping Reid realizes that his playmakers can allow him to free up a bit. Smith doesn't throw it diwnfield a lot but that doesn't mean he CANT ( which is what we hear ). He's totally capable. Just needs the freedom to do so
Eh...

I think there was a PFF article that says that the Chiefs throw short because they're really good at it. If you're the best screen throwing team in the league then throw screens.

Alex Smith's arm strength probably isnt in the top 20 in the league though when he gets his form right he can make a deeper pass. You can go as recently as the playoff game against the Steelers and find guys open deep that Alex isn't hitting. The last game I went to was the Xmas game against Denver and just about the only mistake the Chiefs made all game was Alex Smith's deep pass.

I would also say that Smith's accuracy is better than someone like McNabb. Play to a guy's strength.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You would think that would be the case but CBS did an article where they explained how important Edelman is to Brady. Brady's gonna miss having him for the entire year, and don't be surprised to see Brady's stat line take a shit kicking if past history means anything. Brady becomes average without Edelman. Unbelievable but true.

From the article:
"In the previous three seasons, Brady has a 106.9 passer rating when Edelman's on the field. And in the nine games without Edelman, Brady's passer rating drops to 86.4 -- which is below the league average of 89.5."

Recent history provides one big reason why Tom Brady could struggle this season

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh...

I think there was a PFF article that says that the Chiefs throw short because they're really good at it. If you're the best screen throwing team in the league then throw screens.

Alex Smith's arm strength probably isnt in the top 20 in the league though when he gets his form right he can make a deeper pass. You can go as recently as the playoff game against the Steelers and find guys open deep that Alex isn't hitting. The last game I went to was the Xmas game against Denver and just about the only mistake the Chiefs made all game was Alex Smith's deep pass.

I would also say that Smith's accuracy is better than someone like McNabb. Play to a guy's strength.

They will never be a consistent downfield offense, not with Smith under center, and maybe not even with Andy.....I think whats more important is KNOWING they can do it if the defense dictates it..........The Alex Smith offense has been as good as any in winning 10 games, and going to the playoffs...The added deep ball dimension now raises their ceiling as a team IMO....Defenses have to respect it, which means their short game can be even more effective, especially with all the YAC talent they have.......

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats will be fine. KC is one of the 5 or 6 best teams in the league. Fir some reason people love to discount it overlook them but it's not shocking NE lost. The spread of the game was what was shocking to me , and also why I'm 1200 bucks richer today lol
Whats shocking to me is this:

Passing Cmp Att Yds TDs
A. Smith 28 35 368 4

Passing Cmp Att Yds TDs
T. Brady 16 36 267 0

Tom Terrific looked like the game manager and Smith looked like Tom Brady in his prime.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit of a surprise result last night. I thought the Chiefs would have played the Patriots close but I didn't think they'd win. Good confidence boost for the Chiefs this early in the season.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,116.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE beats NO, 63-49.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think that would be the case but CBS did an article where they explained how important Edelman is to Brady. Brady's gonna miss having him for the entire year, and don't be surprised to see Brady's stat line take a shit kicking if past history means anything. Brady becomes average without Edelman. Unbelievable but true.

From the article:
"In the previous three seasons, Brady has a 106.9 passer rating when Edelman's on the field. And in the nine games without Edelman, Brady's passer rating drops to 86.4 -- which is below the league average of 89.5."

Recent history provides one big reason why Tom Brady could struggle this season
Yeah, not having Edelman was pretty big.

The Patriots still had the Chiefs at a mismatch, though. Mitchell is decent, imo, but too slow to effectively cover Amendola and certainly Cooks. Brady effectively set up every running Touchdown so I'm not sure I buy the idea that he lost the game. The Pats defense and 4th and short playcalling lost the game.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Patriots still had the Chiefs at a mismatch, though. Mitchell is decent, imo, but too slow to effectively cover Amendola and certainly Cooks. Brady effectively set up every running Touchdown so I'm not sure I buy the idea that he lost the game. The Pats defense and 4th and short playcalling lost the game.

To be fair, Amendola was on his way to having a better game than Edelman had in all of 2016, minus the last game vs Miami

Defense
Oline
Gronk looking awful
Hogan offering nothing
Cooks a HR hitter they will not turn into a high volume guy
Brady just off

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he looked FINE all preseason. he played for the first time since 2012, for a reason.

hes fine.

jesus people.

Perhaps they need to go back to running vanilla packages against backups then?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or it could be an offense that teams see have two weapons outside of the 5 yard line...Gronk and Cooks. Dedicate safety help to each and let everyone else man up. See if any of the other weapons are reliable enough to sustain a 10 play drive.

The Chiefs decided to take Hogan away with Peters. Brady didn't know what to do and neither did McDaniels.

They really didn't use the backs or Dwayne Allen enough.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The other thing is it's like every analyst and commentator forgot that the Chiefs are a 12-4 team too. Leading up to the game they were all acting as if the Pats were playing the Jets or something. Chiefs have a great team and a great coach. I never expected a blowout win, but I always thought the Chiefs had a decent shot at a win. I'd have given the Pats a 3 point edge just due to them being the home team, not the ridiculous 9 points that they were given.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chiefs decided to take Hogan away with Peters. Brady didn't know what to do and neither did McDaniels.

They really didn't use the backs or Dwayne Allen enough.

Dwayne Allen musta been like "Im wide open for an 80 yard TD on the first play of the game, and i never see another target?"