• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots are not expected to trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the last pick in the first round is. Dont the Pats have it.

So you want NE to send Jimmy and the 32 pick for the 12? Never happen, no way. NE would not do that. If that happened, Clev would have to hand over next yrs 1st or all of their 2nd rd picks this yr.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want NE to send Jimmy and the 32 pick for the 12? Never happen, no way. NE would not do that. If that happened, Clev would have to hand over next yrs 1st or all of their 2nd rd picks this yr.

Yeah Jimmy is not worth that much.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the question is, is BB sold on Brisett I dont see why they wouldnt do that deal. If Brady plays 3 more years then Brisett can step right in

Only BB can answer that, and you know how that goes. Have to wait and see.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever the last pick in the first round is. Dont the Pats have it.
Pats have 32. Then the first pick of the 2nd round #33 belongs to Cleveland. Like creep said no way NE gives up Jimmy and # 32 for just the 12th pick. I don't think BB would do that deal even for the # 1.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Jimmy is not worth that much.
Jimmy G is better than any QB in this draft. So it's up to the other teams what they would give up to get the best QB of this draft is worth? Jimmy G is worth whatever that team offers.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Schefter
3 hrs · Facebook Mentions ·
‪In a move that will have a ripple effect on all QB-needy teams, Patriots are not expected to trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo, per league sources.‬

Damn are they really gonna pony up and pay him. Bill must really like the guy.

Yeah, this will be the year that Belichick does exactly what is expected!!!!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pats have 32. Then the first pick of the 2nd round #33 belongs to Cleveland. Like creep said no way NE gives up Jimmy and # 32 for just the 12th pick. I don't think BB would do that deal even for the # 1.
Well value wise for the Pats that would be like getting 2 1st round picks in value back anyway in that kind of trade. So you are trading a late 1st round pick and Jimmy G. for what amounts to 2 1st round picks.

So still good value for the Pats in the trade just maybe not as much as some Pats fans thought. Today will be a big day in the rumor mill. Usually last big day of the Combine is where quite a few stories come out so if things don't heat up trade talk wise I could see it being that teams are not as interested as some thought.

Throw in the QB market is looking a little better FA wise. Teams can trade a 1st round pick to possibly get Kirk Cousins, a much more proven QB than Jimmy G. It looks like Romo and maybe Tyrod Taylor are both going to be hitting the market as well. Both have played top-10 QB level at different times in their careers. Mike Glennon is another that is up there on people's radar that won't cost them an arm and a leg in a trade deal. Jay Cutler is hitting the market. I mean none of them look like long-term solutions but not sure Jimmy G. has shown that he is either. These others at least won't cost a possible 1st round pick to get them. Plus next year's QB class is being hyped as one of the strongest they have seen in a while.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well value wise for the Pats that would be like getting 2 1st round picks in value back anyway in that kind of trade. So you are trading a late 1st round pick and Jimmy G. for what amounts to 2 1st round picks.

So still good value for the Pats in the trade just maybe not as much as some Pats fans thought. Today will be a big day in the rumor mill. Usually last big day of the Combine is where quite a few stories come out so if things don't heat up trade talk wise I could see it being that teams are not as interested as some thought.

Throw in the QB market is looking a little better FA wise. Teams can trade a 1st round pick to possibly get Kirk Cousins, a much more proven QB than Jimmy G. It looks like Romo and maybe Tyrod Taylor are both going to be hitting the market as well. Both have played top-10 QB level at different times in their careers. Mike Glennon is another that is up there on people's radar that won't cost them an arm and a leg in a trade deal. Jay Cutler is hitting the market. I mean none of them look like long-term solutions but not sure Jimmy G. has shown that he is either. These others at least won't cost a possible 1st round pick to get them. Plus next year's QB class is being hyped as one of the strongest they have seen in a while.
It is no prblem. They can hold onto to Jimmy. A starting QB will go down during the season. Or they hold onto him an get a high comp pick. There is no panic to move JG if the price is not right. NE is in a good spot.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is no prblem. They can hold onto to Jimmy. A starting QB will go down during the season. Or they hold onto him an get a high comp pick. There is no panic to move JG if the price is not right. NE is in a good spot.

Not saying they are not in a good spot. I am saying though I don't think there is much panic at least right now to trade a ton of draft capital to get the kid. It is a buyers market when it comes to QB's with so many Free Agents with quite a few starts hitting the market for one reason or another. A team would have to believe without a shadow of doubt that Jimmy G is truly the next star QB of the NFL and right now I"m not getting the vibe that is the case.

Doesn't mean circumstances don't change like we saw with Minnesota last year leading to a team getting desperate.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not saying they are not in a good spot. I am saying though I don't think there is much panic at least right now to trade a ton of draft capital to get the kid. It is a buyers market when it comes to QB's with so many Free Agents with quite a few starts hitting the market for one reason or another. A team would have to believe without a shadow of doubt that Jimmy G is truly the next star QB of the NFL and right now I"m not getting the vibe that is the case.

Doesn't mean circumstances don't change like we saw with Minnesota last year leading to a team getting desperate.
Yep it only takes one dance partner. It may be a buyer market but there isn't a lot of quality in this market whether that be in FAs or the draft. It all comes down to what a GM is willing to do and what they hold as priorities when making their selection.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mentioned on the radio on Friday here in Boston, what if Jimmy G is the hold up? If a team is going to give up a first round pick, they don't just want Jimmy G for a one-year rental and potential 2nd year on an expensive franchise tag, they'll want him long term. So what if Jimmy has made it clear he doesn't want to sign a long term deal with any of the teams who are willing to part with a first round pick? Wouldn't he rather just sit another year and hit free agency, pick where he wants to go? It's not like he's going to get hurt sitting on the bench. Could explain a little why Schefter is so adamant he won't be traded.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmm here's something else to consider. We know a couple of things about BB, he loves to accumulate picks. He also rarely trades up into the 1st round. He's been able to assemble a SB winning roster twice after giving Roger Goodell their 1st round pick.
So maybe he doesn't even want a 1st round pick. Maybe he's just trying to get multiple picks in the 2nd and lower rounds?
Then goes out and signs a couple big name FAs with the $72m they have in cap space.
Uses those multiple picks to replace those lost in FA this year knowing he'll get some nice comp picks next year for the players tgst depart?
Then as usual find a couple mid to low level FAs to fit certain roles?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmmm here's something else to consider. We know a couple of things about BB, he loves to accumulate picks. He also rarely trades up into the 1st round. He's been able to assemble a SB winning roster twice after giving Roger Goodell their 1st round pick.
So maybe he doesn't even want a 1st round pick. Maybe he's just trying to get multiple picks in the 2nd and lower rounds?
Then goes out and signs a couple big name FAs with the $72m they have in cap space.
Uses those multiple picks to replace those lost in FA this year knowing he'll get some nice comp picks next year for the players tgst depart?
Then as usual find a couple mid to low level FAs to fit certain roles?
That doesn't make sense. He wants the most valuable pick he can get as an asset, whether he uses that pick or not is a different story. Not saying it would happen, but if Cleveland gave them their 1st overall pick, he likely wouldn't use it, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't want it. Because he could then turn that pick into a bunch more picks that he would use.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The higher the pick, the more trade value the pick is. So Belichick would want the higher pick so he could then accumulate more picks in the 2nd and lower rounds.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't make sense. He wants the most valuable pick he can get as an asset, whether he uses that pick or not is a different story. Not saying it would happen, but if Cleveland gave them their 1st overall pick, he likely wouldn't use it, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't want it. Because he could then turn that pick into a bunch more picks that he would use.
Well most of us don't think Cleveland is giving up #1. Maybe # 12. Regardless. Depending on how the picks are packaged and what teams you routinely deal with affect how many picks you get.
Cleveland may have eyes on say Garrett at 1 and someone else at 12. They may feel it's too much to take that chance on Jimmy G. However, they might be willing to give up one of their 2s plus their 3rd and 1 or 2 in the 4th? They have 11 picks so even though they have holes they need quality. They also don't take tge risk of losing #12 if Jimmy is a bust.
Not sure what BB could trade #12 for?
This is all speculation until players start leaving in FA and how the first 10 come off the board.
The old Cowboys value chart is becoming less and less of a guideline now.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well most of us don't think Cleveland is giving up #1. Maybe # 12. Regardless. Depending on how the picks are packaged and what teams you routinely deal with affect how many picks you get.
Cleveland may have eyes on say Garrett at 1 and someone else at 12. They may feel it's too much to take that chance on Jimmy G. However, they might be willing to give up one of their 2s plus their 3rd and 1 or 2 in the 4th? They have 11 picks so even though they have holes they need quality. They also don't take tge risk of losing #12 if Jimmy is a bust.
Not sure what BB could trade #12 for?
This is all speculation until players start leaving in FA and how the first 10 come off the board.
The old Cowboys value chart is becoming less and less of a guideline now.
Okay so that's a different argument then the one I thought you were making. Yes he likely would take multiple 2nd round picks or lower over just one 1st round pick. I took your post to mean that he didn't want a first round pick.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so that's a different argument then the one I thought you were making. Yes he likely would take multiple 2nd round picks or lower over just one 1st round pick. I took your post to mean that he didn't want a first round pick.
:suds:
This off season is killing me. So many ways NE can go with their own FAs, players wanting to take a discount to come play for BB, lots of cap room, possible JG trade, 8 or 9 picks in a strong draft class.

Even with the 14 or so FAs NE has I'm feeling really really good about this offseason.

In BB we trust.