• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patrick Willis?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What would I trade Willis for... 10 first round picks nothing less.

You'd better not be Trant Baalke 'cause if you are and you turn down an offer of Willis for 9 1st rounders I may have to kidnap you and sell you as a sex slave.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? You wouldn't trade him for the second best QB in the league?

I don't buy the bit about the message that would be sent. The Niners traded and cut multiple players in the 80s and early 90s that meant a lot to this team and the team kept going.

How many of them were in the prime of their career and considered by most as the best player in their position?

How many of those 49ers cut or traded were considered the best at their position without much argument?? I can only think of Montana and Lott, and that happened on the downswing of their career not it's peak.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How many of them were in the prime of their career and considered by most as the best player in their position?

How many of those 49ers cut or traded were considered the best at their position without much argument?? I can only think of Montana and Lott, and that happened on the downswing of their career not it's peak.

It still happened. Your case was about the message it sent throughout the locker room to the rest of the team. Is Patrick Willis a bigger name for the Niners than Joe Montana was?

But you wouldn't trade Willis for the second best QB in the league. That's crazy.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It still happened. Your case was about the message it sent throughout the locker room to the rest of the team. Is Patrick Willis a bigger name for the Niners than Joe Montana was?

But you wouldn't trade Willis for the second best QB in the league. That's crazy.

I might trade Willis for Brees if the Niners would have Brees under contract for 3+ years. You are talking about Brees aren't you?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree. You're overanalyzing things a bit here. Bowman is having a super year because of Willis. Spike was excelling in our defense too because of Willis. Willis is a game changer. He was the main cause of why we won the game against the NYGiants. Sack, chasing Eli down when he clearly could have moved the chains on a critical 3rd down QB scramble; etc. Teams key on him allows others to have an impact on the game. If they both were in the draft today, would any draft Aldon ahead of Willis? I hope not! You'll more likely to find an "elite OLB" than you would find an elite "ILB". Look at all the success guys are having this year - make a comparison of all the OLBs and ILB that got drafted for the past 7 years...the ratio between those that are having success with those who are not finding success is staggering.

Agreed. You can see the dropoff in Bowman's play since Willis went out.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. You can see the dropoff in Bowman's play since Willis went out.

Yeah, I noticed he has missed a few usually sure tackles in the past couple games. I hope he isn't hiding a nagging injury...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I noticed he has missed a few usually sure tackles in the past couple games. I hope he isn't hiding a nagging injury...

no injury i'm aware of... perhaps just the wear and tear?

Of course, it could be that with Willis out, Bowman would fill the Willis role in the assignments where Grant does the Bowman assignments like prior....

Willis many roles was zone coverage and taking the flats, rarely went in on blitzes. Where as Bowman ran the blitzes and made the tackles that Willis free'd him up to.

Now it's Bowman doing the same for Grant IMO.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no injury i'm aware of... perhaps just the wear and tear?

Of course, it could be that with Willis out, Bowman would fill the Willis role in the assignments where Grant does the Bowman assignments like prior....

Willis many roles was zone coverage and taking the flats, rarely went in on blitzes. Where as Bowman ran the blitzes and made the tackles that Willis free'd him up to.

Now it's Bowman doing the same for Grant IMO.

Yeah, it makes perfect sense that there is a lapse due to the absence of Willis, it's just some of the things I've seen from Bowman seems a bit out of character for him, when he does make it to the ball carrier.