• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i loved the don james huskies…sonny sixkiller et al.

i pause and wonder at my days of youth w/ sats like that under the sun.
That game in the vid was during the Lambright era. Tom Osborne was 0 - 2 vs Don James and Barry Switzer was 0 - 1 vs Don James.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to bet there are not many people on this forum who played or coached above the high school level, and given the age demographics on this website that was a long time ago. I don't believe that's a reason to dismiss someone's opinion.

I played football my entire life up until graduating high school and I don't think that makes my opinions more or less valid than someone who never played a snap at any level. Hell, I learned more about football playing video games than I did actually being out on the field.

It's beside the point, but you can bring up valid concerns/criticisms even if you never played or coached the game.

Obviously everyone has opinions, and where all of us are coming from no opinion matters more, or is more relevant than the next. It’s been my experience that people who have some background or experience with the game seem to have more reasonable opinions though. Maybe someone’s experience isn’t reason to dismiss their opinion, but their opinion sucking is.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UWDawgPound has had some pretty good articles that address the Browning "controversy."

A summary would be: Coach Pete wouldn't be playing Browning if he really thought Haener had a better chance of winning games for us. If you believe that not to be the case, then that means the issue is with Petersen.

My biggest concern about Browning is that I swear 90% of his completions/pass attempts against Utah were either PA comebackers, go routes and screens. I don't think he attempted more than 1 pass that was over the middle.

I think that speaks a lot about his limitations.
How does that speak to his limitations?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen has his flaws ... like keeping JS around as the OC. Haener is a gamer ... that kid reminds me a bit of Brunnell ... not big but he's a scrapper. I'd like to see what he could do vs someone like BYU (non con game).

Making Haener the starter could either be an absolute disaster, or he could be a mild upgrade over Browning. In terms of risk/reward, it really isn't worth the risk or the reward. At best he's still a very young guy who provides a mild upgrade at best if he reaches realistic expectations. The more likely scenario is that he won't, he's still very young and very raw.

The safe and more realistic option is to keep Browning in there. We're all aware of his flaws, but you have to remember that Browning is 31-11 in his career with the Huskies. 24-6 in the last 3 years.

Replacing a proven commodity with a 3* (624 overall) redshirt freshman with 7 pass attempts against a gassed North Dakota team who has a similar skill set to Browning doesn't make all that much sense to me.

Haener looked amazing against North Dakota in his 7 pass attempts. But you have to remember this was in the 4th quarter against a gassed North Dakota defense in Seattle.

He will have his opportunity.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously everyone has opinions, and where all of us are coming from no opinion matters more, or is more relevant than the next. It’s been my experience that people who have some background or experience with the game seem to have more reasonable opinions though. Maybe someone’s experience isn’t reason to dismiss their opinion, but their opinion sucking is.

I agree, but we're all a bunch of people on the internet whose highest level of playing or coaching is probably the high school level.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UWDawgPound has had some pretty good articles that address the Browning "controversy."

A summary would be: Coach Pete wouldn't be playing Browning if he really thought Haener had a better chance of winning games for us. If you believe that not to be the case, then that means the issue is with Petersen.

My biggest concern about Browning is that I swear 90% of his completions/pass attempts against Utah were either PA comebackers, go routes and screens. I don't think he attempted more than 1 pass that was over the middle.

I think that speaks a lot about his limitations.
Browning can carve up a defense if he has time in the pocket. That ain't happening this year. The OL is a mess. We need someone back there who can scramble and buy time .... someone who doesn't lose their cool when he's staring down a couple of LB's.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does that speak to his limitations?

This is my interpretation:

The passing plays were very limited if you look at it from a route tree perspective. Browning would either throw the ball up in the air and hope his WR makes a play on a go-route, complete the pass on a PA roll-out comebacker, or attempt a screen.

That tells me that the team doesn't trust his arm strength to make throws other than those. Generally you have to have a stronger arm to pin-point balls over the middle.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making Haener the starter could either be an absolute disaster, or he could be a mild upgrade over Browning. In terms of risk/reward, it really isn't worth the risk or the reward. At best he's still a very young guy who provides a mild upgrade at best if he reaches realistic expectations. The more likely scenario is that he won't, he's still very young and very raw.

The safe and more realistic option is to keep Browning in there. We're all aware of his flaws, but you have to remember that Browning is 31-11 in his career with the Huskies. 24-6 in the last 3 years.

Replacing a proven commodity with a 3* (624 overall) redshirt freshman with 7 pass attempts against a gassed North Dakota team who has a similar skill set to Browning doesn't make all that much sense to me.

Haener looked amazing against North Dakota in his 7 pass attempts. But you have to remember this was in the 4th quarter against a gassed North Dakota defense in Seattle.

He will have his opportunity.
Browning has yet to win a big game where UW was the underdog.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browning can carve up a defense if he has time in the pocket. That ain't happening this year. The OL is a mess. We need someone back there who can scramble and buy time .... someone who doesn't lose their cool when he's staring down a couple of LB's.

He gets quite flustered when he doesn't have time. His poor attempt at a Russell Wilson impression I believe has led to a lot of big sacks and bad offensive plays. More times than not, his attempts at buying time have led to poor plays. He needs to learn when to throw the ball away.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browning has yet to win a big game where UW was the underdog.

I don't dispute that whatsoever. He has his limitations. He's not someone who is going out and will win you a game in the fourth quarter like Russell Wilson, but you can't assume that a redshirt freshman who has a similar skill set and only 7 career pass attempts against Garfield High School's JV team in the 4th quarter is going to be an upgrade.

Generally younger QBs need more time to develop, and I don't want to see Haener developing during a season when we have a chance at the PAC-12 championship.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets quite flustered when he doesn't have time. His poor attempt at a Russell Wilson impression I believe has led to a lot of big sacks and bad offensive plays. More times than not, his attempts at buying time have led to poor plays. He needs to learn when to throw the ball away.
This is what I like about this board ... we can discuss this stuff without being tagged as Husky haters. If I was to post my opinions in Husky Nation they would have accused me of killing Christ or even worse .. Don James.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I like about this board ... we can discuss this stuff without being tagged as Husky haters. If I was to post my opinions in Husky Nation they would have accused me of killing Christ or even worse .. Don James.

I enjoy constructive criticism much more than a collective circle jerk.

We all know the positives with this team. The things that must be improved are where the interesting conversations take place.

None of us are going to say there should be a replacement in the secondary, because we all know how great our starters are. Don't need to collectively give each other handjobs over that.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. However, you’re not giving enough credit to how bad it actually is. It’s not just the first sign of pressure and he falls apart and flips the ball to a D end, he can escape or handle a typical d lineman getting through, it’s total breakdowns and not picking up blitzes when he shits himself. Mostly the kind of stuff no one’s getting out of, but you’d hope would at least know how to take a sack or get the ball out and in the stands to minimize damage.

You might be able to put some blame on him not reading blitzes, but that’s hard to do with what we can observe.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. However, you’re not giving enough credit to how bad it actually is. It’s not just the first sign of pressure and he falls apart and flips the ball to a D end, he can escape or handle a typical d lineman getting through, it’s total breakdowns and not picking up blitzes when he shits himself. Mostly the kind of stuff no one’s getting out of, but you’d hope would at least know how to take a sack or get the ball out and in the stands to minimize damage.

You might be able to put some blame on him not reading blitzes, but that’s hard to do with what we can observe.

I believe the issue is 3 fold.

1. The offensive line needs to get cohesive and figure out how to pick up blitzes. Guys run free, the offensive line needs to do a better job stopping guys from running free.

2. Browning needs to have a hot read ready on all plays, and have the confidence in his arm and his WR to deliver the ball when he sees a LB or DB run through one of the gaps of the offensive line. That's something he hasn't really done.

3. Browning needs to realize if his hot read is not there, he needs to go to his second read or throw the ball away. Him running back 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage and taking a huge loss or throwing an awful interception is not smart.

It starts with the offensive line, but it ends with Jake Browning.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Browning isn't getting any help from Hamdan and his shitty play calling and the OL which is a mess atm. With that said, Petersen isn't going to fire Hamdan in mid season and the OL isn't going to gel overnight. Something needs to give.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my interpretation:

The passing plays were very limited if you look at it from a route tree perspective. Browning would either throw the ball up in the air and hope his WR makes a play on a go-route, complete the pass on a PA roll-out comebacker, or attempt a screen.

That tells me that the team doesn't trust his arm strength to make throws other than those. Generally you have to have a stronger arm to pin-point balls over the middle.

That’s not a fair observation from one game. They take shots down field... And ironically last year a common criticism was trying to go down field too much. Also disagree with the “would just throw the ball up” observation. He made some great throws in that game.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browning isn't getting any help from Hamdan and his shitty play calling and the OL which is a mess atm. With that said, Petersen isn't going to fire Hamdan in mid season and the OL isn't going to gel overnight. Something needs to give.
They need to figure it out for sure. That they had no answer for that jailbreak blitz it’s really concerning.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO…

keep browning at qb, find that O-line and a big fucking bruiser of a RB…GROUND POUND PURPLE BABY!

then throw the rwak and watch out for setting gaskin up for a injury.

They don’t really have the bruiser back anymore, the line is a bit of a mess (again). But they definitely need to commit to the ground pound purple regardless. Especially this week. ASU just let a mountain fucking west team run up their asses for over 300 yards.