• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our defense and how to fix it?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our defense, despite some of the "numbers" they have, anyone who has watched the last 7 or so games know they have some big holes and are a weakness. Theres actually a lot that needs to be fixed and upgraded IMO.

What position do you think is in need of upgrade? Who should we look to add and what kind of draft picks should we invest?

Just a quick break down, I dont think we can keep Goldston. Whitner IMO is pretty overrated. He's had some rough games and cost us on numerous plays in the Superbowl. Culliver obviously is a big weakness. We have some other aging stars on our defense and not much depth.

My order which I would put the most investment in is:
1. NT
2. FS
3. DE
4. Nickle CB
5. OLB depth

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense, despite some of the "numbers" they have, anyone who has watched the last 7 or so games know they have some big holes and are a weakness. Theres actually a lot that needs to be fixed and upgraded IMO.

What position do you think is in need of upgrade? Who should we look to add and what kind of draft picks should we invest?

Just a quick break down, I dont think we can keep Goldston. Whitner IMO is pretty overrated. He's had some rough games and cost us on numerous plays in the Superbowl. Culliver obviously is a big weakness. We have some other aging stars on our defense and not much depth.

1. NT
2. FS
3. DE
4. Nickle CB
5. OLB depth

One thing that John Clayton talked about is that our base defense is on the field a lot, we don't substitute in anybody, which I think really hurts us as the season goes on. I agree with the order, but after today I would take the BPA of the secondary or defensive line --- I'd be ok with going all defense almost in the draft.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would think CB is a higher priority. Seems like Rogers struggles against physical WRs, shifty WRs....he's only good against guys with no real advantages. Culliver I would prefer to just go away right now. They need a starter there.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitner out of position and not being big enough or fast enough to make a difference on two TD passes is a problem too. Didn't he give up the TD passes to Sproles and Jimmy Graham last year against the Saints?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I sayed ealier in the season we needed another good pass rusher... But maybe its a lack of creative blitzing...

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1. NT = John Jenkins
2. FS = Tyran Mathieu
3. DE = Datone Jones / Margus Hunt / Joe Kruger
4. Nickle CB = Poyer / Trufant / Robert Alford
5. OLB depth = Alex Okafor / Chase Thomas

Not necessarily in draft order, but players that are in our reach, realistically speaking.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily in draft order, but players that are in our reach, realistically speaking.

Honeybadger could be a cool fs, i'd rather see Culliver moved there, though.

I'd really like to see a ss drafted, that's one spot that I think was left off.

I also think know that Fangio likes nt's that are quicker and that can penetrate. I think we need a nt too, just I think that we need a player like Kwann Short to play, or Larry Black.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm too pissed to analyze anything, but we need a better pass rush with our front four, although like I said, I'm too pissed to analyze anything or look into the stats. I know Flacco was able to evade a lot of potential sacks, but does Brooks really let Flacco out run him like that?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One thing that John Clayton talked about is that our base defense is on the field a lot, we don't substitute in anybody, which I think really hurts us as the season goes on. I agree with the order, but after today I would take the BPA of the secondary or defensive line --- I'd be ok with going all defense almost in the draft.

This is why I hope the Niners sign Richard Seymour.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I hope the Niners sign Richard Seymour.

Any combo of Seymour/DE or Seymour/DT or whatever, they need to find a replacement for Justin/Soap and possibly RJF. Seeing Brooks not being able to sack Flacco is the eighth wonder of the world.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finding an eventual replacement for Justin Smith is a must. I'd like to see us dial up a number of different blitzes and someone to sub in for Brooks. I don't know the statistics on Brooks, but it seems like he has had some issues on bringing down the QB.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shut down corner(johnthan banks, i think he'll drop), pick up ed reed, move dashon to ss, have bowman cover the tight end.

one more year under the belt for kap, aldon, cully(people are down on him but he has talent, not the smartest guy, but he has good instincts. the niners would not have been in the super bowl without him). getting a healthy justin smith back and harb's learning from his mistakes this year and they should win it all next year.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shut down corner(johnthan banks, i think he'll drop), pick up ed reed, move dashon to ss, have bowman cover the tight end.

one more year under the belt for kap, aldon, cully(people are down on him but he has talent, not the smartest guy, but he has good instincts. the niners would not have been in the super bowl without him). getting a healthy justin smith back and harb's learning from his mistakes this year and they should win it all next year.

Banks doesn't fit. We need a cb that excels in man coverage like Poyer, Rhodes or Trufant.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Rhodes, but I think Banks has more talent and will be able to be the shutdown corner the niners need with a little bit of coaching. If the niners can't sign ed reed, i'd be cool with them converting cully to fs or picking up david amerson for that role in the 2nd.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Banks doesn't fit. We need a cb that excels in man coverage like Poyer, Rhodes or Trufant.

With one of our 6th round picks, I would draft Greg Reid. He would singlehandedly make our special teams unit top 3 in the league. Punters would be terrified to kick it to him.

In addition, he's pretty good in man coverage (receivers 6'2 and under). Any receiver who's 6'2 and above he tends to struggle with severely. He would be a liablity in our division covering the likes of Quick, Rice, Fitz etc. He is fit to play the nickel position though, and allow Rogers to play the outside.

He's definitely one of my sleeper picks.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in mourning so beware....

Why don't we go ATL on this draft and get a real impactful defensive player?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm in mourning so beware....

Why don't we go ATL on this draft and get a real impactful defensive player?

I'll only do that for Jadeveon Clowney in 2014. I would do a Ricky Williams trade for him.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We do need a potent receiver to play opposite of Crabtree, so i can live with a trade to acquire Patterson. I'm open to doing that since we have sooo many picks to use this year anyway and I don't think it would take all that much to trade up at the right spot to draft him.