• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our defense and how to fix it?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading for Revis kind of jumps back in my mind. Just wish we could work some cap magic on his deal. Ugh.

High on my list is a pass rushing force at the 5 technique.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading for Revis kind of jumps back in my mind. Just wish we could work some cap magic on his deal. Ugh.

High on my list is a pass rushing force at the 5 technique.

DL needs some upgrade/rejuventating IMO... i concur....

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll only do that for Jadeveon Clowney in 2014. I would do a Ricky Williams trade for him.

fuck! that's exactly who i was thinking of, Clowney, but as you just mentioned, he's coming out in 2014... fuckin A!!! I'm all messed up now!:gaah:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would re-sign Goldson to the long term contract he wants and let Whitner walk. Him and his 5 mil per can kick rocks. With the money saved by cutting Whitner, draft his heir apparent at SS with Goldson being the QB of the secondary. Easier to find quality SS then it is to find quality FS IMO.

We need serious help on the DL as well. No EXPLOSIVE pass rush. Our coverage was actually pretty good at times and yet our DL still couldn't get to Flacco.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our defense, despite some of the "numbers" they have, anyone who has watched the last 7 or so games know they have some big holes and are a weakness. Theres actually a lot that needs to be fixed and upgraded IMO.

What position do you think is in need of upgrade? Who should we look to add and what kind of draft picks should we invest?

Just a quick break down, I dont think we can keep Goldston. Whitner IMO is pretty overrated. He's had some rough games and cost us on numerous plays in the Superbowl. Culliver obviously is a big weakness. We have some other aging stars on our defense and not much depth.

My order which I would put the most investment in is:
1. NT
2. FS
3. DE
4. Nickle CB
5. OLB depth

NT is important no doubt, but IMO easily a pass rusher. so guess my vote is OLB depth.

he doesn't need to be a starter, just so long as he can bring the heat. use him like Aldon was the previous season, in place of the NT. you can mix it up by moving Aldon or Brooks to the line.

most teams pass more than run, and nothing helps your pass D like pressure.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense, despite some of the "numbers" they have, anyone who has watched the last 7 or so games know they have some big holes and are a weakness. Theres actually a lot that needs to be fixed and upgraded IMO.

What position do you think is in need of upgrade? Who should we look to add and what kind of draft picks should we invest?

Just a quick break down, I dont think we can keep Goldston. Whitner IMO is pretty overrated. He's had some rough games and cost us on numerous plays in the Superbowl. Culliver obviously is a big weakness. We have some other aging stars on our defense and not much depth.

My order which I would put the most investment in is:
1. NT
2. FS
3. DE
4. Nickle CB
5. OLB depth

The pass rush; fix the pass rush and everything else falls in line. Every QB becomes average with guys in their face.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NT is important no doubt, but IMO easily a pass rusher. so guess my vote is OLB depth.

he doesn't need to be a starter, just so long as he can bring the heat. use him like Aldon was the previous season, in place of the NT. you can mix it up by moving Aldon or Brooks to the line.

most teams pass more than run, and nothing helps your pass D like pressure.

I see his point about the NT though. Someone has got to collapse the pocket. If the QB can't step up to throw the outside guys will get him.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading that Jarvis Jones might drop in the draft due to his spinal injury from the past. I think if he passes the mid-teens, the niners should look for a way to trade up for him. He'd be a great player to add to the OLB rotation.

Also, this is supposed to be a loaded draft for D-Line and Safeties. I think the niners will be able to find a gem later in the draft.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing what a yr can change. Never thought i would see a post like this after last yr.

But like many have said we need better depth or at least for our coaches to play the depth we have. Our d was gassed and banged up

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We need a coverage Safety.

Having two thumpers in Goldston and Whitner is redundant and I think we should dump Whitner since he seems like he's usually either overmatched or out of place.

We could use a bonafide #1 CB but I don't see us getting that unless we swing the Revis deal. I would definitely be looking to add CB in the draft though.

Front 7 overall I think we're fine because having both Smith's banged up is what I think hurt our pass rush ultimately.

But we desperately and seriously need some depth up front. Our defense logging in as many snaps as they do is a legitimate issue and I think getting a legitimate rotation going would do wonders for the guys up front.

Fortunately we're pretty much set on offense aside from maybe adding a deep threat WR so we can pour a lot of resources into defense this offseason.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a coverage Safety.

Having two thumpers in Goldston and Whitner is redundant and I think we should dump Whitner since he seems like he's usually either overmatched or out of place.

We could use a bonafide #1 CB but I don't see us getting that unless we swing the Revis deal. I would definitely be looking to add CB in the draft though.

Front 7 overall I think we're fine because having both Smith's banged up is what I think hurt our pass rush ultimately.

But we desperately and seriously need some depth up front. Our defense logging in as many snaps as they do is a legitimate issue and I think getting a legitimate rotation going would do wonders for the guys up front.

Fortunately we're pretty much set on offense aside from maybe adding a deep threat WR so we can pour a lot of resources into defense this offseason.

I would like to see us at least consider trading up for Milliner. The guy is a stud and is a better corner than his counterpart last year, Dre Kirkpatrick.