• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our 2019 draft picks

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd round (73rd pick): RB David Montgomery, Iowa State
4th round (126th pick): WR Riley Ridley, Georgia
6th round (205th pick) CB Duke Shelley, Kansas State
7th round (222nd pick): RB Kerrith Whyte, Florida Atlantic
7th round (238th pick): CB Stephen Denmark, Valdosta State

Perhaps the most intriguing selection is the final one, Stephen Denmark, the former WR-turned-DB. As CBs go, this man is huge - 6'3", 220 lbs. I'm wondering if the plan is to turn him into a safety or have him bulk up a bit and see how he'll look as a hybrid LB/S. In any event a most interesting draft, especially when considering we weren't even in the conversation until the 3rd round.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pace is going to trade up until he dies. I think he likes the idea of getting the guys he likes. It seems like he traded up to address the teams current need with the best value. If it works, more power to him.

I like that we didn’t have a top end draft pick and we still addressed the glaring need on our team with incredible value. The rest of the picks are a roll of the dice, but if Montgomery is good this draft will always be seen as a success.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pace took the best player available. He tends to do this with the later picks. What else do you expect from a 7th round pick?

Whyte is a more prototypical sized back with 4.3 speed (at pro day) with solid hands and can also help with special teams.

What i like about Whyte and Montgomery over Howard is, these guys have agility to make defenders miss.

Obviously things can change dramatically once i see them in an NFL game. And until then this is all based on scouting reports and college tape. But right now I think Mizzell and Gabriel are on the bubble. Never liked either of these guys anyway.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whyte apparently didn't do well in the cone drill so his agility is questionable it appears

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with the draft. Pace addressed the needs as best he could.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has little to do with the final product, but I like that we have a part of this draft to be in suspense about. Montgomery could be Kareem Hunt. We have that kind of upside to look at in a draft where our first pick was after most teams took 3 players. I have no idea what to expect next year. I think Pace is going to be here a while.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we'll keep 4 RBs, as we did this past season.

Davis
Montgomery
Cohen
Whyte

That leaves the underachieving Mizzell as the odd man out. The speedy Whyte also makes for a good insurance policy as a KR in the event Patterson doesn't work out or gets hurt. In fact with Bellamy gone, maybe he'll be one of the gunners on kickoffs and punts.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure we'll keep 4 RBs, as we did this past season.

Davis
Montgomery
Cohen
Whyte

That leaves the underachieving Mizzell as the odd man out. The speedy Whyte also makes for a good insurance policy as a KR in the event Patterson doesn't work out or gets hurt. In fact with Bellamy gone, maybe he'll be one of the gunners on kickoffs and punts.
I wouldn't sleep on Nall. He was the story of the preseason last year and has the size that Howard had if we want a short yardage banger who's not just a one-trick pony.

The Whyte pick puzzled me but we'll see. I think the UDFA Alex Bars turns this into a nice draft class for Pace with such limited picks. Ridley was a nice value pick and we got a couple project DBs to fill out the back-end with, presumably guys who can play STs as well.

You look at the positions we have on the team that could realistically be replaced with the picks we have and i think Pace nailed the only position that was somewhat open: RB. Tight end behind Burton would be debatable but hey'll give Shaheen one more season before they cut bait on him. Outside of that, all the others guys will be backups so we just gotta hope they can be solid players if called upon and maybe eventual replacements for when we lose quality players in the future like how we lost Amos and Callahan this offseason.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't sleep on Nall. He was the story of the preseason last year and has the size that Howard had if we want a short yardage banger who's not just a one-trick pony.

Not at all....or should I say not at Nall. Nyuck nyuck. But yes, I too thought a lot of Nall and was mildly surprised that he didn't make the final roster last year. He could not have been any worse than Mizzell or Cunningham, that's for sure. So it's not so much that I'm writing him off, it's just that we can only carry so many RBs, and I don't think Pace drafted Whyte if he doesn't think he has a legit shot at making the roster.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the dust has settled over this weekend's completion of the draft, it appears that while many analysts really liked Montgomery going to the Bears at #76, believing he's the perfect fit in Nagy's creative offense, I'm seeing even more rave reviews for them landing Ridley at #126. The operative word for most of these opinions is "steal", being that he was considered a Round 2 talent on many draft boards. Go figure.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the dust has settled over this weekend's completion of the draft, it appears that while many analysts really liked Montgomery going to the Bears at #76, believing he's the perfect fit in Nagy's creative offense, I'm seeing even more rave reviews for them landing Ridley at #126. The operative word for most of these opinions is "steal", being that he was considered a Round 2 talent on many draft boards. Go figure.

What Ive read from WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Draft: Wide Receiver Rankings ,I kinda like the upside of Ridley more than Montgomerys……..

Georgia_logo.gif
Riley Ridley*, WR, Georgia
Height: 6-1. Weight: 199. Arm: 32.63. Hand: 10.25.
40 Time: 4.58. Three Cone: 7.22.
Bench: 13. Vertical: 30.5. Broad: 10-4.
Projected Round (2019): 2-3.

4/23/19: Ridley had 44 catches for 570 yards and nine touchdowns in 2018. He should have returned to Georgia for his senior year if he wanted to be a first-round pick. A lot of evaluators like Ridley, although his combine 40 was slower than expected. Still, a number of team sources have said they like Ridley's skill set and polish. I've heard from some that they graded Ridley on Day 2 and know some teams have him in the mix for their second-round pick.

8/28/18: Ridley came on strong for Georgia in 2017 and had an impressive game against Alabama with six receptions for 82 yards. His production was hurt by Georgia's three-headed monster in the ground game, but Ridley is capable of producing a lot more as an upperclassman.

Cant wait to see this kid play....

Although not sure why we needed another wr when I thought ol was a position we could have also used...............

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't possess burner speed, but he's a solid, disciplined route runner, which is essential in a Nagy-run offense.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on ESPN radio the Bears have drafted the most Probowl players than any other team since the Pace Era has started.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on ESPN radio the Bears have drafted the most Probowl players than any other team since the Pace Era has started.
Sorry for my engwish... 2 scotches a d 3 beers in... not English muchly gud.