• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: World Cup

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those were probably the two best chances of the game for the US.

It got them through, but they looked terrible today.

Germany is probably the best team in the tournament. The US will be in tough against Belgium (if that's who they end up playing) but they won't be facing a team of Germany's caliber next round.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, CONCACAF has USA, Mexico, and Costa Rica advancing to the knockout stage (Honduras, as expected, heading home). That's pretty darn good.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's time we called in that favor from Belgium for that whole World War 2 ass kicking we delivered on their behalf. #Merica

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Germany is probably the best team in the tournament. The US will be in tough against Belgium (if that's who they end up playing) but they won't be facing a team of Germany's caliber next round.

Absolutely, they were expected to win and did. My point is only that the way the US played won't be good enough to get them any further. Germany easily could have put up 3 or 4 in this game. And scores aside (though obviously that's all that really matter), I think Portugal played better against Germany than the US did. The Germans were just finishing their chances that day.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bright side... USA is now on the side of the bracket with less fearful teams to face...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USA moving on!!!

Kind of amazed that we drew the group of death, lost our best scorer, mostly played our B-game, and are somehow moving on to the elimination round... but we'll take it!

Also, Bradley - come on, dude. Learn to trap a fucking soccer ball.

#missinglandon

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm here to bitch about Bradley. What a bum.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzalez has saved the USA's bacon several times today...

He played an outstanding game. Kudos, Gonzalez.

terp.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm here to bitch about Bradley. What a bum.

It deserves it's own thread at this point. At the bar I was at, some dude next to me goes...
"How come that bald guy doesn't run like a normal person."

lol.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, they were expected to win and did. My point is only that the way the US played won't be good enough to get them any further. Germany easily could have put up 3 or 4 in this game. And scores aside (though obviously that's all that really matter), I think Portugal played better against Germany than the US did. The Germans were just finishing their chances that day.

That does something of a disservice to the quality of our goalie and the quality of our defense. They played REALLY well today and even though they had a few scoring chances, the defense really limited Germany's opportunities and we didn't have a lot of close calls given how much Germany dominated possession.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That does something of a disservice to the quality of our goalie and the quality of our defense. They played REALLY well today and even though they had a few scoring chances, the defense really limited Germany's opportunities and we didn't have a lot of close calls given how much Germany dominated possession.

Howard played well, I will grant that, but I felt like the D was very shaky again. They made some nice recoveries to clear balls away at the last minute, but it was their own fault they needed to make those plays in the first place.

It's like the goalie who has to make tons of crazy saves because he's always getting out of position.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So happy to see the US go through, even though my bracket is pretty much screwed.

Belgium will be tough, but you never know. Having Jozy back would really help. And keeping Cameron on the bench will help, too. Gonzalez was really good today.

On a side note, it nice to see two teams play without writhing on the ground in agony with each contact. Mexico, Honduras, Greece, Ecuador, Spain, and mostly Italy can all suck it. (Or bite it, if they are playing Uraguay)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard played well, I will grant that, but I felt like the D was very shaky again. They made some nice recoveries to clear balls away at the last minute, but it was their own fault they needed to make those plays in the first place.

It's like the goalie who has to make tons of crazy saves because he's always getting out of position.

I think Howard had about 3 solid saves. The rest were pretty pedestrian. We can disagree, but I think when you play a team as good and dangerous as Germany they are GOING to get their opportunities, and we did a good job making the right play at the right time and keeping them from having a high number of really quality chances. I think the defense was excellent and has definitely been our strength. We're moving on... and it's certainly not the offense that's making that happen. ;)

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Howard had about 3 solid saves. The rest were pretty pedestrian. We can disagree, but I think when you play a team as good and dangerous as Germany they are GOING to get their opportunities, and we did a good job making the right play at the right time and keeping them from having a high number of really quality chances. I think the defense was excellent and has definitely been our strength. We're moving on... and it's certainly not the offense that's making that happen. ;)

Sort of agree.

I think the defense was really good today and fantastic against Ghana. But they were horrifyingly bad against Portugal.