• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the books i think hint at what craster is doing but never outright say anything that i can remember. definitely a white walker at the end in my opinion. did you catch the blue eyes (remember back to the prologue of season 1).

also, i am not spoiling anything here, as this is covered already in the book and in the series, but yes the white walkers are the menace they are all referring to. back in season one they hinted at it, and the tv series has done a good job of it, but still hard to capture just how terrifyingly scared shitless the people of the north (northern kingdoms and wildlings) are of the white walkers. remember the story nan told to bran and the creepy music playing in the background early in season 1...

scared shitless.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of my favorite scenes from the book (2) which is underrated and which i thought they nailed was tyrion banishing janos slynt to the wall.

fuckin castrated that motherfucker with words....

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of my favorite scenes from the book (2) which is underrated and which i thought they nailed was tyrion banishing janos slynt to the wall.

fuckin castrated that motherfucker with words....

That was probably my favorite scene of the episode. Way down the road prediction is that the dragons wind up being the ones that can stop the white walkers. Or I could be totally off.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i find some things incredibly interesting about how they ahve made this series. first off, i notice that the writers/directors have managed to keep out all fluff dialogue. every single word uttered is important somehow, though it may not seem like it at the time. being vague so as not to spoil anything, i can 100% vouch for this having read the books, that every line of dialogue means something down the road, sometimes sooner sometimes later.

second, i find it interesting that in each episode not much seems to happen, then when i reflect on the "quotable" moments, there are so many from each episode that i slowly start to realize how that episode really kicked ass. and when i rewatch the episode, that feeling is confirmed. the episode really did kick ass.

finally, there is some odd quality about a show so intense but that is immensely rewatchable. i can't say that for every intense show out there.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i find some things incredibly interesting about how they ahve made this series. first off, i notice that the writers/directors have managed to keep out all fluff dialogue. every single word uttered is important somehow, though it may not seem like it at the time. being vague so as not to spoil anything, i can 100% vouch for this having read the books, that every line of dialogue means something down the road, sometimes sooner sometimes later.

second, i find it interesting that in each episode not much seems to happen, then when i reflect on the "quotable" moments, there are so many from each episode that i slowly start to realize how that episode really kicked ass. and when i rewatch the episode, that feeling is confirmed. the episode really did kick ass.

finally, there is some odd quality about a show so intense but that is immensely rewatchable. i can't say that for every intense show out there

Agreed, I tend to watch each episode 2 or 3 times and pick up little things every time. You're right, there really is no wasted diaglogue. There are so many great verbal battles, subtle jabs and jokes, little statements that leave the door open for multiple outcomes. It really is amazingly written.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The series is done very well IMO. The actors/actresses are doing a phenomel job in their own right.

Nothing getting out of hand and they are not rushing the immienent events/moments either. It's carefully building up at an appropiate pace.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you right now, 10 episodes will not be enough for A Storm of Swords. I hope HBO does not make that mistake.

I'm pretty sure I heard them (or read) that they are doing A Storm of Swords as two seasons. I hope that's the way it goes.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's a good place to pick up the books for cheap??

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's a good place to pick up the books for cheap??

If you want to start right away, you can grab the paperbacks for 8-9 bucks at Barnes and Noble. I found them for 6 bucks at Target. Or you can get the real cheap as a set if you buy them off of Barnes and noble.com

I finally got past the halfway mark of the first book. I also havent put any solid time iinto reading. I am always tired as fuck when I open it up. I may put a huge dent in it tonight. I want this book finished and the seccond started before Sunday.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to start right away, you can grab the paperbacks for 8-9 bucks at Barnes and Noble. I found them for 6 bucks at Target. Or you can get the real cheap as a set if you buy them off of Barnes and noble.com

I finally got past the halfway mark of the first book. I also havent put any solid time iinto reading. I am always tired as fuck when I open it up. I may put a huge dent in it tonight. I want this book finished and the seccond started before Sunday.

Yeah, the first four should be fairly easy to find for pretty cheap in paperback form. I think the 5th book is only in hardcover still, as it only came out this past July. Those damn hardcovers get pretty pricey.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the first four should be fairly easy to find for pretty cheap in paperback form. I think the 5th book is only in hardcover still, as it only came out this past July. Those damn hardcovers get pretty pricey.

True, I like the hardcovers because I like the bigger font but I don't like the price of them. lol

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to get one of those kindles but I dont read enough. After this series, I probably wont read again for a while.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may revisit the Hobbit. But that is a big IF.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to get one of those kindles but I dont read enough. After this series, I probably wont read again for a while.

Do you have an Ipad? If so you can download the Kindle app and use it just like a Kindle machine. I've used it a couple of times, not bad, but I prefer paper.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I'll probably just keep buying books as I need them. A kindle seems like wasted money unless I found one for cheap. iPad is just a bigger version of my iPhone.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I'll probably just keep buying books as I need them. A kindle seems like wasted money unless I found one for cheap. iPad is just a bigger version of my iPhone.

lol...well, you can download that app onto your iphone, too! I did it, just to see if I could; it doesn't cost any extra. Makes for a tough read.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...well, you can download that app onto your iphone, too! I did it, just to see if I could; it doesn't cost any extra. Makes for a tough read.

Yeah, I have the app for my phone but you really can't do any serious reading on it.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I have the app for my phone but you really can't do any serious reading on it.

My eyes are perfect, yet that would still annoy the fuck outta me. I cant even imagine how small the font would be.