• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Last of US

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many times did you hear Ellie referred to as “the girl” over and over again in that episode and also that she could never possibly survive all alone without her friend … a man … by her side

That was an amazing line you mention … amazing job of framing by the writers the entire episode … after all ellie had been through, it seemed like she didnt need to hear it … that she was so strong that she was the polar opposite of a baby girl … but in the end she did need to hear it.
Plus it's a huge evolution from Joel referring to Ellie as cargo in episode 3, to calling her what he used to call his daughter in this episode.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus it's a huge evolution from Joel referring to Ellie as cargo in episode 3, to calling her what he used to call his daughter in this episode.
yeah I caught that.

jstewismybastardson said:
How many times did you hear Ellie referred to as “the girl” over and over again in that episode and also that she could never possibly survive all alone without her friend … a man … by her side

That was an amazing line you mention … amazing job of framing by the writers the entire episode … after all ellie had been through, it seemed like she didnt need to hear it … that she was so strong that she was the polar opposite of a baby girl … but in the end she did need to hear it

that whole scene in the house was ruthless from Joel. that line was excellent.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
normally back story episodes are snoozefests, but this was quite good.

gave more insight into:
- why Ellie has this attitude at the outset,
- more on fireflies,
- a bit more to ponder about Marlene's role,
- some parallels with Ellie/Riley and Joel/Tess
- and the version of the Cure's "Just Like Heaven" on the carousel was a nice bonus.

we all knew what was going to happen yet I was on edge the entire episode. I kept muttering.. "stupid kids" them my wife said yeah you would be playing the games too lol (she is not wrong)

good thing that Ellie and Riley didnt take Option 1. I wonder what she did with Riley? knife? gun? Fedra come and save her? Marlene?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
one of the best deliveries of a line I have ever heard on television.

"It's OK. I believe him"

holy fuck.
A whole lot of insight there.
gave me shivers.
honestly this line, and the timbre of the delivery, is still running through my head today.

so fantastic

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that they pretty much cleared out the resort, they should stay and open a bed and breakfast.

Most of the key scenes from the show are all very similar to the game and the changes they made I usually liked. I did like Ellie shooting her first person in the game a bit better, although the change matters very little. Joel bitches at her and they bicker and argue for the next half hour. Joel's apology is finally "it was him or me" and walks away and Ellie answers a sarcastic "You're welcome".

There was an ice cream truck scene in the game I really liked and missed in the series. They see an old ice cream truck and tell Ellie that they used to play awful music, drive around, and all the kids would run out and by ice cream. Her answer to that is "You're fucking with me right?". Then finally "you lived in a weird time".

Very mild possible spoiler, if at all.
I hope there are giraffes next week[/ispolier]
And I cannot figure out why I usually have the trailing [/ispoiler] tag.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also there should be more wood pallets in the show. Since Ellie cannot swim every time they came across water in the game there was a handy pallet Ellie could climb on and Joel could pull her.
You start adding pallets though, and the budget skyrockets quickly.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The final sequence, starting in the jail cell and through the end was especially fantastic. Love that they hardly changed a word of the dialog. Also really loved the change of letting Ellie stab (chop?) until she was done instead of having Joel stop her.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the latest episode last night. This show is so good.

Loved Ellie’s progression from the last episode flashback through this one.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... are they going to wrap up everything from the first game in the last episode, right?
I feel like it's too much and I'm worried they won't get to Joel's decision and leave us with a stupid cliff hanger.

But maybe there isn't that much left regarding the plot. I might just be remembering with all the battling (and probably dying and restarting a lot) that it seems a long way to the end of the game still. Maybe there isn't that much actual plot left. The Walking Dead would make half a season out of this last episdoe methinks. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I didn't put info in spoiler note - I thought I kept it vague enough that it didn't give away the fact that Joel joins the cannibals and eats Ellie. ;)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now remember, Joel doesn't know Ellie's backstory so don't roll your eyes when he goes ring shopping in Salt Lake City.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... are they going to wrap up everything from the first game in the last episode, right?
I feel like it's too much and I'm worried they won't get to Joel's decision and leave us with a stupid cliff hanger.

But maybe there isn't that much left regarding the plot. I might just be remembering with all the battling (and probably dying and restarting a lot) that it seems a long way to the end of the game still. Maybe there isn't that much actual plot left. The Walking Dead would make half a season out of this last episdoe methinks. ;)
So looks like your answer is, yes! It’s strange. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a series be SO faithful to canon as this. Really no surprises. I’m not sure how I feel about it, honestly. It was still really good! But…

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So looks like your answer is, yes! It’s strange. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a series be SO faithful to canon as this. Really no surprises. I’m not sure how I feel about it, honestly. It was still really good! But…

Yes, the ending just felt like a live re-creation of the game, it was so well done. I thought a smashing success overall. They preserved well all the elements of the original game with some interesting narrative additions in the back and side stories that were not just filler and really added to the story. Craig Mazin and Neil Druckman seem to really work well together. Kudos to Mazin who is 50 and is really hitting the stride of his career with Last of Us, Chernobyl, and Mythic Quest.

I'm just not sure how I'm going to feel about season 2 of Last of Us. I never bought nor played the game. I honestly have no idea what the plot is or what happens in part 2, and I don't think I want to know. The finishing scenes of the first game/show were so perfect that I didn't want to know where the story went from there. It was irrelevant and could only spoil it.

As soon as Ellie says "okay" and that music kicks in, I remember thinking 'holy shit this is probably the best ending of a video game ever.'

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the ending just felt like a live re-creation of the game, it was so well done. I thought a smashing success overall. They preserved well all the elements of the original game with some interesting narrative additions in the back and side stories that were not just filler and really added to the story. Craig Mazin and Neil Druckman seem to really work well together. Kudos to Mazin who is 50 and is really hitting the stride of his career with Last of Us, Chernobyl, and Mythic Quest.

I'm just not sure how I'm going to feel about season 2 of Last of Us. I never bought nor played the game. I honestly have no idea what the plot is or what happens in part 2, and I don't think I want to know. The finishing scenes of the first game/show were so perfect that I didn't want to know where the story went from there. It was irrelevant and could only spoil it.

As soon as Ellie says "okay" and that music kicks in, I remember thinking 'holy shit this is probably the best ending of a video game ever.'
I think TLoU2 storyline has potential for them to take more liberties. I liked the game and will be interested to see what they do with it.

Of course, I felt like this season had places where they could have added in things not in the game, but listening to the podcast and Druckman, I guess his entire point with this series is to bring to story to life outside of PlayStation. Mission accomplished.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked it and thought they did a great job. Bella and Pedro were great! They nailed the last exchange, Joel lying, Ellie pondering it then choosing to accept the lie. (my take at least)

If anything the game was a bit more nuanced in terms of both Eliie and Joel's transformation. When you play the game through much of it Ellie is always talking, humming, singing or finding other ways of annoying Joel. As the game progresses she gets quieter and then after David shes really withdrawn and quiet. It's pretty jarring. At the same time throughout the game Joel opens up and becomes warmer. Pretty remarkably well done IMO. Not a slight on the show, the show cannot spend hours looking for supplies as they explore and chat.

In my head at least (playing it again now, but just at the David part) the show at the end had the Fireflies being a bit more menacing, perhaps making the choice Joel makes a more obvious one in show.

It's amazing how much of the direct dialogue they took right from the game. Some people claim the game-play in Naughty Dog games is nothing special but I really like their dialogue and character development. The Last Of US and Uncharted 2 are probably my favorite games ever and both have great characters and dialogue.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos to Mazin who is 50 and is really hitting the stride of his career with Last of Us, Chernobyl, and Mythic Quest.

I never noticed his name on Mythic Quest. Very good show IMO. Much better, and has much more heart, than the commercials would make it seem.

I like the 2nd game too, its a definitely different than the first but very good. It plays with perspectives a bit, characters you might hate at some point you may grow to like and some you like you may not always be happy with.

If up to me, I would probably have partially rehashed the first game (ie Joel and Ellie need to go to Texas to do something or see someone lol) but Naughty Dog wanted to do a bigger more complex story. It mostly works well.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and maybe the eventually mushroom turned Ellie into baby yoda?

work with me, people...
Judging from that thing that came out of the ground in episode 5, there might be more chance she would eventually turn into Jabba*.

*the Hutt