• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Shooting in Oregon Mall

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how the families of the three killed would delineate between "Shooting" and "Massacre".

What delineates it in your mind? If one of the other 7 had died, would that stop being a shooting and become a massacre? 3? Does it have to be 10+?

Please proceed.

Not sure why you are so concerned about semantics, but I'll play along. I'll say a massacre is if more people are killed than you can carry comfortably in your average American made mid sized sedan.

That a good enough answer for you, or shall I proceed further?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A student at an elementary school in Kearns, Utah, who brought a handgun in to class reportedly told his classmates the weapon was given to him by his parents for protection in the wake of last week's shooting at Sandy Hook.

The .22-caliber pistol was unloaded when the 6th grader pulled it out of his backpack during recess yesterday and aimed it at another student. "He pointed a gun to my head and said he was going to kill me,"

Holy shit! I hope they give the parents some jail time to think about what the hell they are doing.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it trolling? The idea came from a Texas legislator. Read the article, dude.

I did, and we already hashed this out. but you bring it back up, and I believe it is only because you are trying to troll me. Hence the reason you left out SC, or else you don't know about the SC proposal and only know what has already been said here...again leading me to think you are second hand trolling.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did, and we already hashed this out. but you bring it back up, and I believe it is only because you are trying to troll me.

I did it b/c honestly it's pretty stupid and it happened in Texas. Ugh.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and again, still ignoring SC in lieu of what one state senator said in Texas. you sad

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should treat mass killings the same way they treat suicides ... they rarely report those ... with all the carnage involved ... its hard ... but the youtube clip i posted twice in this thread said it all ... they have to minimize the story as much as possible on a national level , however hard that is

I'm jumping in here a bit late and this thread has been pretty active today but I couldn't agree more. In fact, I wish they would go back to treating suicides like suicides as well. For some reason it's okay to report that bully victims commit suicide because they think that drives the point home that bullying is wrong. Well no fucking shit Sherlock but committing suicide is even more wrong. I wish they would report stories about bully victims that dealt with it more appropriately and had a happy ending instead of villainizing the bullly far beyond what is reasonable and having all these memorial services for the victims. It just creates a culture of (some) poor kids thinking it's their best option.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you are so concerned about semantics, but I'll play along. I'll say a massacre is if more people are killed than you can carry comfortably in your average American made mid sized sedan.

That a good enough answer for you, or shall I proceed further?

Actually, you are the one who got stomped in your argument and then tried to claim you used the wrong word. I was just trying to help you understand changing the word does nothing.

And also because the Oxford Dictionary of the English language defines "massacre" as:

1 : the act or an instance of killing a number of usually helpless or unresisting human beings under circumstances of atrocity or cruelty
2 : a cruel or wanton murder

By that definition, "only" three killed is indeed a massacre.

So yes. Proceed.

Also: Is is not possible to comfortably carry ANYONE in an American made sedan. Terrible suspensions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's casting aspersion on the whole idea, and relying on Tejas involvement as a form of support - implicitly relying on history.

and again, still ignoring SC in lieu of what one state senator said in Texas. you sad

You're saying "It's not just Texas, it's South Carolina, too!"

:L SC

Feel better?

I don't know what one has to do with the other.

He's saying "whatever SC is stupid, too".

^^ U crazy doofus, you just can't stop messin' around.

I posted a thread about this topic earlier in the PF, plenty of arguments were raised about why it wouldn't really work - eloco provided none of those. Some lazy reliance on preaching to the choir, here.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted a thread about this topic earlier in the PF, plenty of arguments were raised about why it wouldn't really work - eloco provided none of those. Some lazy reliance on preaching to the choir, here.

Huh? Because they were discussed to naseum many pages back. Didn't feel the need to rehash.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's casting aspersion on the whole idea, and relying on Tejas involvement as a form of support - implicitly relying on history.

So youre saying that he is sprinkling water on the idea and scoffing at Tejas involvement.

You're saying "It's not just Texas, it's South Carolina, too!"

You're saying he is saying "It's not just Texas, it's South Carolina, too!"

He's saying "whatever SC is stupid, too".

You're saying, hes saying "whatever SC is stupid, too". I'd argue he is saying more of a *eye roll, head shake* "Fine, SC too. Geez, happy now?" I cannot blame him, I often forget SC too.

Ok, I see that you posted a thread and arguments were raised as to whether the tread would work or not. Did it? I'm too lazy to go look.

I think I got it all.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're saying, hes saying "whatever SC is stupid, too". I'd argue he is saying more of a *eye roll, head shake* "Fine, SC too. Geez, happy now?" I cannot blame him, I often forget SC too.

Ding, ding, ding.... Rod, tell him what he's won...

I imagine that's pretty spot on with Comeds' reaction. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: