• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Shooting in Oregon Mall

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are equating a law with enforcement? As if passing yet another law will all of a sudden increase enforcement?

Do you think passing another law making murder illegal would do any good?

No, but I do believe harsher penalties are a deterrent. It's not 100% or anywhere close, but I do believe harsh penalties are a deterrent for many to move beyond petty crime. I also think it would require law enforcement to be more proactive about enforcing these laws for them to be the most effective.

As for murder, I am a strong proponent for the death penalty and would actually expand it to include crimes like r*pe and sexual abuse of a child. Flip the switch or give em the injection quicker too if you're asking me.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I do believe harsher penalties are a deterrent. It's not 100% or anywhere close, but I do believe harsh penalties are a deterrent for many to move beyond petty crime. I also think it would require law enforcement to be more proactive about enforcing these laws for them to be the most effective.

As for murder, I am a strong proponent for the death penalty and would actually expand it to include crimes like r*pe and sexual abuse of a child. Flip the switch or give em the injection quicker too if you're asking me.

Ok, that I can get on board with. take an existing law and changing the punishment. If a first offense is a fine, people are more likely to try to get away with it than if it is jail time.

I don't agree with adding laws when something is already illegal. To me that is just grandstanding by officials to say "look we did something" when they didn't really change anything.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did nothing of the sort. Someone dismissed the idea of arming teachers and I said they should read up about a specific incident.

I left nothing out since I suggested the person I was responding too should go read up and form their own opinion from their choice of outlets.

Did you even see my original post, or are you just interjecting and making accusations like "you left those facts out" without having the first clue what I actually said?

Second, research the Pearl River, MS school shooting. Although, you can't really call it that. Why?

no problem. Basically there was an incident like this that happened in Pearl River, MS. Difference is that an asst principal had a gun in his car and met the guy with the gun and ended it.

Yeah how dare I accuse you of leaving out facts to better make your point? I'd like to apologize to the entire board.

Odd how there were a bunch of people shot in the Pearl River cant really call it a shooting.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah how dare I accuse you of leaving out facts to better make your point? I'd like to apologize to the entire board.

Odd how there were a bunch of people shot in the Pearl River cant really call it a shooting.

Shooting should have been massacre, not shooting. I screwed that up. What did I mess up in the second quote of mine that you added? Was there not an incident like this in MS? Did an asst Pricipal not have a gun? Did he not end it? What facts do you think I left out?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shooting should have been massacre, not shooting. I screwed that up. What did I mess up in the second quote of mine that you added? Was there not an incident like this in MS? Did an asst Pricipal not have a gun? Did he not end it? What facts do you think I left out?

10 casualties. I'm not going to argue with you, you wont convince me you were not being misleading in the combination of those two quotes.

LOL yeah.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 casualties. I'm not going to argue with you, you wont convince me you were not being misleading in the combination of those two quotes.

LOL yeah.

I wasn't. I was addressing the topic, teachers with guns, and giving and example. There was a massacre, I suggested they look into it, hours later I gave a summary of the story. No misleading going on.

Think what you want though.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comeds is right. It was misleading... and it was for a purpose to better your point.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comeds is right. It was misleading... and it was for a purpose to better your point.

Seeing that I wrote shootings, you are right. I was intending something different with "massacre" and failed.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving teachers guns is a horrible idea. Lets remember also that students also have been part of these shootings. What if a kid finds the gun? Just...just no.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing that I wrote shootings, you are right. I was intending something different with "massacre" and failed.

I wonder how the families of the three killed would delineate between "Shooting" and "Massacre".

What delineates it in your mind? If one of the other 7 had died, would that stop being a shooting and become a massacre? 3? Does it have to be 10+?

Please proceed.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving teachers guns is a horrible idea. Lets remember also that students also have been part of these shootings. What if a kid finds the gun? Just...just no.

Verrrrrrrrry simple solution to the quandry u pose

Give the teachers 2 guns

/nra logic :noidea:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

it's already happening. fucking ELEVEN year old brought a gun to school for protection
Utah Kid Who Brought Gun to Class Claims Parents Armed Him for Protection Following Sandy Hook Shooting

A student at an elementary school in Kearns, Utah, who brought a handgun in to class reportedly told his classmates the weapon was given to him by his parents for protection in the wake of last week's shooting at Sandy Hook.

The .22-caliber pistol was unloaded when the 6th grader pulled it out of his backpack during recess yesterday and aimed it at another student. "He pointed a gun to my head and said he was going to kill me,"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verrrrrrrrry simple solution to the quandry u pose

Give the teachers 2 guns

My dad was an elementary school teacher/principal for over 30 years - This is all that the the teacher's need.

21634.jpg

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's already happening. fucking ELEVEN year old brought a gun to school for protection
Utah Kid Who Brought Gun to Class Claims Parents Armed Him for Protection Following Sandy Hook Shooting

A student at an elementary school in Kearns, Utah, who brought a handgun in to class reportedly told his classmates the weapon was given to him by his parents for protection in the wake of last week's shooting at Sandy Hook.

The .22-caliber pistol was unloaded when the 6th grader pulled it out of his backpack during recess yesterday and aimed it at another student. "He pointed a gun to my head and said he was going to kill me,"

If that's what really happened...

Yeah, there's a kid who needs to go into Foster Care and two parents who should never be allowed near children again.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's going after all semi-autos, which isn't ever going to happen as much as people like me might want it to, but I understand if she's doing the "ask for a lot to get a little when we meet in the middle" thing.

I think things that are both reasonable AND possible would include (in no particular order):

• Assault weapons restrictions and possibly (hopefully) bans.
  • Something that allows people easier access to mental health treatment.
  • Increase of background checks, licensing exams and mental health screenings (hopefully with yearly renewal)
  • Close the gunshow loophole.

I'm not confident I'll see any of them pass, but even 1 out of 4 would be progress in my eyes.

Assault weapons restrictions. Sure I am ok with lower capacity mags. Bans I am not.

Mental Health treatment is a yes as well.

LTC holders in MA have to re-apply for a LTC every 3 years in which a background check is done again. In MA if you have any type of assault, domestic, OUI-DUI, divorce your LTC will not be re-issued.

Gun show loophole- Yup on board.

Now this is from a very much pro- gun person. I would extend this to quite a few other things as well. I have said it before but I would be in favor of much tougher training. Currently you need a NRA safety class to apply for a LTC. That = 100 bucks or so and 4 hours of your time. 8 hours minimum and should include everything that is needed to know about the safe handling, cleaning, shooting of all types of weapons (Pistols, revolvers,rifles). On top of this you should have to provide proof that you can store said weapons in a tamper proof manner (Safe).

I am also in favor of waiting periods for all guns. You go to the gun shop and pick out the one you want, fill out all the paperwork, get a ok from the gov and wait 7 or even 14 days to actually get the gun.

In regards to teachers with guns. If they have a LTC already then I see no problem with it. If they choose to carry it needs to be concealed at all times. No exceptions. If we put a guard in schools I would be fine with that as well. It would have to be a semi good paying job because any nut job that is bent on doing this again the guard would be the first person he would be looking for. If he shoots the guard he now has another weapon and more ammo. Training is needed and a pretty good amount of it. The only thing that guard should be there to do is insure the safety of the people in it. he should not have any "school" authority in telling kids to get out of the hallways or to put that ciggy out.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so after a tragic school shooting, government officials in Texas (therefore presumably representing the state) immediately suggest adding MORE guns to the mix.
if that doesn't warrant a :L , I don't know what does.
my sister lives in texas, in an upscale neighborhood close to Houston. Total suburbia, tons of kids around. Well, last summer someone's pet tiger got loose (yes, a fucking pet tiger in the middle of suburbia) - the police were more concerned about the loose cannons coming out of the woodwork for the chance to go tiger hunting thanthey were about the damage the tiger would do.
so yeah, "Texas :L " is a short post, but it still says a lot. If Oregon or Florida or Ontario also made the news by living up their stereotype so blatantly, they would get the same reaction.

oh wait, this person also thought adding more guns to the mix would be a good idea. Snowball's rollin'.

If that is indeed true then the parents need to be arrested.