• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Shooting in Oregon Mall

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, 46. Maybe you missed the context of the original comment that precipitated the analogy. B4NL said he would prefer to be able to defend himself from an intruder with a gun (ban), than to wait around for the cops (mods) to show up and do it (or not) for him. There is a basic analogy there. Hitting the report button is like calling 911, hitting the ban button is like using a gun with deadly force.

Oh, I see the reason behind making the analogy. I just see analogies as tools for comparison or simplifying a situation and putting it into another context. I find this "analogy" to be a hell of a leap. I know why he/she made the comparison, but I don't think that you can jump from one situation to the other as easily as he/she seems to be doing it.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll bite. Define it in your own words.

(I can't believe a discussion that has been so good to this point has reached this level, and I apologize, :L)

I can't say it any better than what popped up when I googled it just now:

1. Comparable in certain respects, typically in a way that makes clearer the nature of the things compared.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say it any better than what popped up when I googled it just now:

1. Comparable in certain respects, typically in a way that makes clearer the nature of the things compared.

I would have much preferred your own words. I think it is a lot more insightful and can make a misunderstanding easier to diagnose, but OK.

I disagree that this is comparable in any respects. I also certainly don't think that it in any way "makes clearer the nature of the things compared." In fact, I would argue that it muddles it more.

d2b explain it a bit more, but I just don't see it. No worries, we disagree and move on.

BF4L

Bruins homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll bite. Define it in your own words.

(I can't believe a discussion that has been so good to this point has reached this level, and I apologize, :L)

He is just trolling and destroying some conversations that have been made. I have changed my mind on a few things due to some of the things that have been said in this thread. Hopefully someone who is anti gun has seen some things I have said and thought a bit differently as well.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that this is comparable in any respects. I also certainly don't think that it in any way "makes clearer the nature of the things compared." In fact, I would argue that it muddles it more.

Subject A _________ Subject B today after determining they were being attacked. Authorities later determined that Subject A was __________ in their actions.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that analogy is a good one (its not) and knowing how the message boards would fall apart if anyone could ban anyone then that faulty analogy would convince me to be in favor of gun control. For every legit ban there would be a dozen unwarranted ones.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the attempted analogy does is show a stark diametric of the extreme fringes of the gun issue. A full complete ban on gun ownership, where only the police are allowed to have guns, and a vigilante anarchy where anything goes. Both of these scenarios are completely unacceptable and detrimental, yet unfortunately, there are some on both fringes who would advocate them.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a request to please refrain from personal attacks. I realize that this is a very heated and intense subject which triggers a wide range of emotions. Thanks.

Thanks dash you beat me to it. Lets keep it civil and act like adults here.

I've seen a lot of good post on this subject and also some good ideas.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think someone touched on this before and I read this on the "comments" section of the CNN story. I'm not sure how accurate it is but thinking back on some of the shootings over they last few years it seems to me that mental health has been an issue in a lot of these cases.

It starts out as a reply to another post....

How many of those cases you listed were the shooters taking a SSRI pharmaceutical? Nearly every one of them since at least 1967. This isn't a gun problem, this is a powerful psychiatric drug problem. People on these pills have also stabbed people to death and drowned their children, or beat them to death with hammers-should we ban knives, hammers and water as well? Or investigate why EVERY one of these shooters was taking some kind of SSRI. Research it yourself. Every one of them have been on one. This man, with documented mental problems, was in no doubt prescribed at least 2 of these drugs for his listed disorders.

10 ways to put brakes on mass shootings in schools - CNN.com

Last edited by a moderator:

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting thing I read was that it is much easier to get a gun in Israel and Switzerland than in the US yet their murder rates from guns are far less.

Some where in the middle lies the answer.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Another interesting thing I read was that it is much easier to get a gun in Israel and Switzerland than in the US yet their murder rates from guns are far less.

Some where in the middle lies the answer.

interestingly enough, both of those places have mandatory military service (and therefore training). Not sure if Switzerland still has it, but they certainly have within the last 10-15 yrs or so.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interestingly enough, both of those places have mandatory military service (and therefore training). Not sure if Switzerland still has it, but they certainly have within the last 10-15 yrs or so.

That's interesting. Not sure if it's a contributing factor but certainly something to think about. Both of those countries also don't have as diverse population as we do but not sure if that matters either. Most mass murders and serial killers seem to target their own ethnic group and are usual white males.

Edit: I really thought my post #395 was very interesting about the drugs/anti depressant. Assuming this is accurate.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another shooting in a hospital today only gunman died two people shot but non life threading injuries this was in Alabama

Another as well in las Vegas Excalibur hotel murder suicide in the concierge

Oooof

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That points to the crux of the solution right there. Proper training is key. Mandatory training doesn't just mean safety training and marksmanship competency testing...it HAS to include stress training exercises in high-pressure situations to know when and when not to use deadly force. Think defensive driving training and emergency reaction training for guns. Some just don't have the mental fortitude or level-headedness to be able to handle themselves responsibly in high-pressure emergency situations.

The NRA would never go for that though, and they hold all the policy cards (and lobby money) on the pro-gun side.