• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Shooting in Oregon Mall

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kindness isn't rare. In fact, quite the opposite. We don't notice it because it's actually that commonplace. Pay very close attention, and you'll notice kindness everywhere you go.

It is noticeable... But people just don't care for their fellow man. Look at the instance with the man getting pushed on the subway tracks and no one offering him aid.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is noticeable... But people just don't care for their fellow man. Look at the instance with the man getting pushed on the subway tracks and no one offering him aid.

Sure, and then look at the instance of the cop buying the homeless guy shoes. You have the isolated awful incidents, and you have isolated awful people, but people in general are good and kind. And even in the case you cited there, I'm not sure I would have helped the man, either, simply out of shock of what I had just seen. It would have been so out of the norm for me that it may not have registered, and I may have frozen.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to a comedy show tonight... I swear if the comedian tries to make light of any events today, I don't know if I'll be able to control myself. Not saying it'll happen, but some comedians like to toe that line.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, and then look at the instance of the cop buying the homeless guy shoes. You have the isolated awful incidents, and you have isolated awful people, but people in general are good and kind. And even in the case you cited there, I'm not sure I would have helped the man, either, simply out of shock of what I had just seen. It would have been so out of the norm for me that it may not have registered, and I may have frozen.

I dunno, perhaps it is just our locations... Or just what we pick up on. Maybe I am a pessimist and just look for the negativity around me. But I can hosestly say that I see more negative acts on a daily basis with my eyes than I do positive.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just in

20000 young men stood up and offered their seats to elderly women across north america

/edit : on public transit. Important point missed there lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, perhaps it is just our locations... Or just what we pick up on. Maybe I am a pessimist and just look for the negativity around me. But I can hosestly say that I see more negative acts on a daily basis with my eyes than I do positive.

Kindness isn't always something you can see unless you're really looking for it. Sometimes it's as subtle as an expression.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of finding common ground and compromising, people are more interested in representing a label and fighting all those that think otherwise. It's a sad time, and I really just can't see it changing.

Hey since when did you get all... you know smart?

:yo:

I agree with the above though.

As stated in the movie Dogma (paraphrase). There's nothing wrong with having beliefs, I just think it's better to have an idea. No one goes to war over ideas.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey since when did you get all... you know smart?

:yo:

I agree with the above though.

As stated in the movie Dogma (paraphrase). There's nothing wrong with having beliefs, I just think it's better to have an idea. No one goes to war over ideas.

lol... Umm, thanks I guess.

And I have been this way for quite some time. Not going to go into details as to why or how that came to be. But I can honestly say I am a much happier person with my views now.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dropped off my youngest at her gymnastics class tonight and said "Have fun". Then I said, "Dad needs a hug". Gotta say, that hug felt good.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem withthe comparisons to Japan is it is an island nation that is not the biggest single destination of immigrants from (hypothesis here but I can check later) ten of the fifteen most violent countries in the world. Also, it does not have the military history and therefore the sheer number of guns on the market.

I'm not even saying gun control is not a part if the solution. It is simply much more complex than just gun control. That is an easy rallying cry to scream from the mountain. Jus look at your Facebook I am sure, but it is a lot more complex than that.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem withthe comparisons to Japan is it is an island nation that is not the biggest single destination of immigrants from (hypothesis here but I can check later) ten of the fifteen most violent countries in the world. Also, it does not have the military history and therefore the sheer number of guns on the market.

I'm not even saying gun control is not a part if the solution. It is simply much more complex than just gun control. That is an easy rallying cry to scream from the mountain. Jus look at your Facebook I am sure, but it is a lot more complex than that.

You're right, Japan is a bad example. Their history is completely different from ours. I wasn't trying to say that the US should do exactly as Japan, because obviously that is impossible. 250 some years of our own history makes guns just a fact of life. Japan never had that within their culture. Which makes it easier today for the Japanese to have ultra tight measures on guns.

It is such a difficult issue. When I see events like today I just look at how other nations have changed with the times. We as a country need to examine this issue with a bit more urgency, I think. But hey, we can't even agree on a budget, so how the hell are we expected to police ourselves when it comes to deadly weapons?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And thanks to selective reporting, it is made out to be more common than it is.

There is a lot of truth to that. As some one who's experienced both East Coast and Mid West culture, I do see a distinct divide in the way people view the world around them there and here.

You're right, Japan is a bad example. Their history is completely different from ours. I wasn't trying to say that the US should do exactly as Japan, because obviously that is impossible. 250 some years of our own history makes guns just a fact of life. Japan never had that within their culture. Which makes it easier today for the Japanese to have ultra tight measures on guns.

It is such a difficult issue. When I see events like today I just look at how other nations have changed with the times. We as a country need to examine this issue with a bit more urgency, I think. But hey, we can't even agree on a budget, so how the hell are we expected to police ourselves when it comes to deadly weapons?

Exactly. Which is why we can't look at the Netherlands when talking about Legalizing pot or prostitution, or look at Germany when discussing speed limits. Or even Sweden when discussing health care.

Our culture is what it is, and we the people have incubated it to this point. What others do is what they do, copying will not work for us. But as borders become less and less restrictive and the economy becomes more and more global, we do have the chance to choose the society that best suits us.

Incidents like today (and some people's reactions and behavior) help me remember why I sometimes think this one isn't it for me.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True. But you have to start somewhere. Nobody is saying it isn't a multifaceted problem. But you can't solve poverty and cure all mental illness overnight. You can change gun laws that fast though. Because it's only one part of a problem doesn't mean it's not a good start.

+1 to D'stone on the kindness stuff. I see lots of smiles, and door holding, and people offering others food, etc. etc. most days. There is nastiness out there for sure, but I see WAY more good than bad.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Which is why we can't look at the Netherlands when talking about Legalizing pot or prostitution, or look at Germany when discussing speed limits. Or even Sweden when discussing health care.

Our culture is what it is, and we the people have incubated it to this point. What others do is what they do, copying will not work for us. But as borders become less and less restrictive and the economy becomes more and more global, we do have the chance to choose the society that best suits us.

Incidents like today (and some people's reactions and behavior) help me remember why I sometimes think this one isn't it for me.

Serious gun regulations would be very hard to enforce. The furor it would create in the country would be bad, and the black market it would create would be worse than what exists today.

Mental illness within our society is probably another area that needs to be looked at and examined. The two young adults who committed these crimes the past few days both had issues, it sounds like.

It is so hard, though. It is ingrained within our culture to accept guns. I don't really think there is one answer to gun violence, but is doing nothing because of the complexity of the issue, justified?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think there is one answer to gun violence, but is doing nothing because of the complexity of the issue, justified?

No, it isn't justified. It is cowardly and selfish.

There was a time when slavery would have been viewed as complex and impossible to stop.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just listened to this song that I posted in the Christmas music thread and it had a totally different meaning to me after today...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this.

As sad as a story like today is, I don't think that any law or regulation can stop THESE kind of events.

However, there will be 27 people killed in Chicago and Detroit this weekend, and we can stem that.

The events (like this) that catalyze the discussion are usually the lest preventable.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it isn't justified. It is cowardly and selfish.

There was a time when slavery would have been viewed as complex and impossible to stop.

Something has to be done. After the Oregon slaying and today, there is no doubt in my mind. People's lives were thankfully spared at the mall earlier this week when the killer's gun jammed. If not for that, we might have seen fifty some people dead over the past three days.

People will say it is just freak incidents, but this style of going out fully outfitted with extra ammo and heavy caliber weapons seems to be a growing problem. There are also those who say this type of attack isn't anything new in our society, which is true. However, I don't think the weaponry, supply and study put into acting out these events have ever been as deadly.

They're calculated, psychopathic attacks.