• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Ritari's 2nd Annual SportsHoopla Fantasy Hockey

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's League 2

F
Martin St. Louis
Bobby Ryan
Claude Giroux
Ryan Getzlaf
Tomas Vanek
John Tavares
Matt Duchene
Matt Moulson
David Jones
Jordan Staal
Brooks Laich
Michael Ryder
Derek Stepan
Brett Connolly
Shawn Horcoff (Has been dropped) Took by mistake.

D
P.K. Subban
Alex Pietrangelo
Cam Fowler
Kevin Shattenkirk
Trevor Daley
Travis Hamonic
Zach Bogosian

G
Fleury
Roloson
Pavelec

I picked 11th. These were the first two times I've ever drafted teams. Thoughts?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in both leagues.

This is my team in League 1...What do you think?

I think you are headed for a loss in Matchup #3! ;)

In all honesty, think your League 2 team is stronger than your team in League 1.

Did League #2 have any no shows for the draft? Any auto-draft disasters?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see. Should I wave the white flag already?

Pffft, hells no! I didn't say I thought your team in League 1 was bad either. I just really like your team in League 2 a lot! So many players, so many categories - it's honestly hard to tell.

I like my team b/c I will probably have 2-3 categories locked up most weeks, but maybe I didn't invest enough in others. We'll see.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are headed for a loss in Matchup #3! ;)

In all honesty, think your League 2 team is stronger than your team in League 1.

Did League #2 have any no shows for the draft? Any auto-draft disasters?

There was one auto disaster Clarkson & a few no shows. With the 11th pick my philosophy changed from the day before. I decided to focus on getting as many top end forwards as I could & I wanted more goal scorers than I got in League 1. My first 6 picks were forwards & 7 out of 8. I think I did a much better job of getting tandems in League 2.

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time for me too. We have a lot of players in common. It will be interesting to see how our teams do with similar cores.

I had a great time, it was long but not really long. spent the time chatting and also doing scouting in between my picks. It was pretty exciting! Good luck with your league!

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's League 2

F
Martin St. Louis
Bobby Ryan
Claude Giroux
Ryan Getzlaf
Tomas Vanek
John Tavares
Matt Duchene
Matt Moulson
David Jones
Jordan Staal
Brooks Laich
Michael Ryder
Derek Stepan
Brett Connolly

D
P.K. Subban
Alex Pietrangelo
Cam Fowler
Kevin Shattenkirk
Trevor Daley
Travis Hamonic
Zach Bogosian

G
Fleury
Roloson
Pavelec

I picked 11th. These were the first two times I've ever drafted teams. Thoughts?

I have no clue how good your picks are from a FHL standpoint, but I sure like your players!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was one auto disaster Clarkson & a few no shows. With the 11th pick my philosophy changed from the day before. I decided to focus on getting as many top end forwards as I could & I wanted more goal scorers than I got in League 1. My first 6 picks were forwards & 7 out of 8. I think I did a much better job of getting tandems in League 2.

I have the MILLER and the CLARKSON I will fill in the rest :D

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in both leagues.

This is my team in League 1

F
Pavel Datsyuk
Claude Giroux
Ryan Getzlaf
Derek Roy
Matt Duchene
Drew Stafford
Sergei Kostytsyn
David Jones
Evander Kane
Frans Nielsen
Michael Ryder
Nathan Gerbe
Pierre Marc Bouchard
Justin Williams
Saku Koivu

D
Mark Streit
Ryan Suter
Alex Pietrangelo
Cam Fowler
Travis Hamonic
Zach Bogosian
Adam Larsson

G
Fleury
Hiller
Roloson

I picked 7th. What do you think?

I was wondering why you picked Datsyuk. He's good, don't get me wrong, but I don't like him as much for fantasy because the thing he's best at is deking and that don't score no fantasy points. He's great for +/-, but I don't like to chase that stat because it's so weird year to year. I would have picked Kopitar where you were, and left Datsyuk for the 10-12 pick. I'm not enamored with the rest of your forwards, either. Giroux was a bit of a risk picking him where you did - he's on the first line now, and while that might mean he gets more ice time and more points, it also means he's up against the other team's best D. He's not a bad player or even a bad fantasy player (he actually has some really good upside), but for the second round you might want to grab somebody who's proven they can handle first unit duties. Of course now that I've said that Datsyuk and Giroux will lead the league in scoring. I'd be okay with that though.

Your D is decent. Hamonic was a good pick when you got him; I was actually shooting for him next. Don't be surprised if Larsson doesn't do much for you this year - rookie Dmen don't always work out too well, and he's not much of a scorer at any rate. You pick guys like him (defensive Dmen) for 3 reasons: +/-, ice time, and PIMS. He's too young to get the second one, and again, chasing +/- is kind of a crapshoot. That said, it looks like he was one of your last picks, so meh.

Goaliewise, Fleury will get you wins and not much else (though he did play better last year), Hiller is going to work either just fine or screw you over depending on how his "vertigo-like symptoms" affected his training and if they stay away, and Roloson is a goalie with average career statistics who has played for some decidedly below-average teams. We'll see how much better he plays for the Lightning this year.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For everyone that is in both leagues, your league 2 team SHOULD be stronger than your league 1 team. I say that for several reasons but mostly because I've been participating in these live drafts for years and in my opinion the second draft was by far the sloppiest, which means there was talent to be had throughout the draft for those who knew what to look for. In the first draft, it seemed more like everyone knew what they were doing from start to finish frankly. People were drafting talent left and right and there were no truly awful teams being formed.

I haven't really sat down and compared my teams (and I can't do it here at work), but I'm assuming that my league 2 team is stronger just due to the fact that I could draft who I wanted at will, while it was much more of a struggle in league 1.

I know I am absolutely STACKED with forwards in league 2 and I think that will bode well for me moving forward. I'm going to struggle with plus/minus in both leagues, but pile up the points big time. But, I'm willing to lose the plus/minus category in order to win four to six others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's League 2

F
Martin St. Louis
Bobby Ryan
Claude Giroux
Ryan Getzlaf
Tomas Vanek
John Tavares
Matt Duchene
Matt Moulson
David Jones
Jordan Staal
Brooks Laich
Michael Ryder
Derek Stepan
Brett Connolly

D
P.K. Subban
Alex Pietrangelo
Cam Fowler
Kevin Shattenkirk
Trevor Daley
Travis Hamonic
Zach Bogosian

G
Fleury
Roloson
Pavelec

Forwards - See why you don't pick Giroux in the 2nd? He's still around in the third, and now you have Bobby Ryan with him. That's pretty solid. Actually, looking at your forwards, holy shit, you are pretty well off!

Defense - Shattenkirk I like but maybe not as high as it looks like you took him. Subban is a good points/PIMs guy, though again I don't like young defensemen too much.

Goalies - Fleury and Roloson I mentioned in the last post, Pavelec isn't that great a goalie but he's a decent third fantasy guy.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For everyone that is in both leagues, your league 2 team SHOULD be stronger than your league 1 team. I say that for several reasons but mostly because I've been participating in these live drafts for years and in my opinion the second draft was by far the sloppiest, which means there was talent to be had throughout the draft for those who knew what to look for. In the first draft, it seemed more like everyone knew what they were doing from start to finish frankly. People were drafting talent left and right and there were no truly awful teams being formed.

I haven't really sat down and compared my teams (and I can't do it here at work), but I'm assuming that my league 2 team is stronger just due to the fact that I could draft who I wanted at will, while it was much more of a struggle in league 1.

I know I am absolutely STACKED with forwards in league 2 and I think that will bode well for me moving forward. I'm going to struggle with plus/minus in both leagues, but pile up the points big time.

Philly Phaithful! *clap clap clap-clap-clap*

Seriously, I feel bad for him, because I know there's no way he wanted to draft Schenn 50th.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously, I feel bad for him, because I know there's no way he wanted to draft Schenn 50th.

Well, yes, but like I said...his team is godly compared to the New Jersey Rabid Squirrels in league 2...lol I could find a lot worse than drafting Schenn 50th...

At least if the Flyers do extremely well and he makes a few tweaks, he can work it out. Clarkson is screwed.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some examples:

Clarkson taken 45th.
Zajac, who I believe is injured, taken 52nd.
Sullivan taken 76th.
Boedker taken 93rd.
Brunnstrom taken 117th.
Lombardi taken 124th.
A bunch of unknowns/rookies taken in numerous other rounds.

:caked:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some examples:

Clarkson taken 45th.
Zajac, who I believe is injured, taken 52nd.
Sullivan taken 76th.
Boedker taken 93rd.
Brunnstrom taken 117th.
Lombardi taken 124th.
A bunch of unknowns/rookies taken in numerous other rounds.

:caked:

To be fair between work and my mothers cancer treatments I didn't have time to rank my draft and missed the live draft but I will do what I can to make it work

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there for the first 7 or 8 rounds then had to leave for a while. When I came back pretty late I was not happy to see that Yahoo didnt pick me a backup goalie. The only one left that was even possibly a starter at that time was Varlamov.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The computer drafted Savard for my bench. :L

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was there for the first 7 or 8 rounds then had to leave for a while. When I came back pretty late I was not happy to see that Yahoo didnt pick me a backup goalie. The only one left that was even possibly a starter at that time was Varlamov.

I missed most of the draft due to an emergency and when I got on there were only a few picks left and just like you I only had 1 goalie so I had to focus on the scrap heep that was left. Then I took Mike Smith...:puke:

Last edited by a moderator:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to some good Beast > Worst or Best > Least comments when inter-division play starts.

Quick question...

I see 6 teams make the playoffs with the top two teams getting a bye. Do the division winners automatically get those byes with 4 wild card teams playing in the first round? Or is it the top two team regardless of division that get the bye? If someone can fill in on the playoff format because the site doesn't really explain it that I can see.