• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Ritari's 2nd Annual SportsHoopla Fantasy Hockey

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'MON PEOPLE, SET YOUR LINE-UPS FOR THE WEEK!!!! It takes 5 minutes for cryin out loud. Teams are getting free points every week. Why sign up if you're not going to give a damn? I know it's not a money league, but I'm out to kick some SportsHoopla ass!!!!!

Who is it that you are talking about? I haven't seen it myself, but yeah, it's pretty easy to do once every week or two. I just think if certain people are doing it, they need to be called out. Definitely an argument for Wayne's money league idea.

But yeah, not really fair to play all your guys one week and then leave a ton of people on the bench against someone else. Messes up the balance of the league.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a crime against nature, sir. ;)

Congrats to Rit who will beat me this week...it's just a matter of by how much.

It was nice to see my team actually do something yesterday after being asleep for almost two weeks.

A few all-star games together, no? :think:

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is it that you are talking about? I haven't seen it myself, but yeah, it's pretty easy to do once every week or two. I just think if certain people are doing it, they need to be called out. Definitely an argument for Wayne's money league idea.

But yeah, not really fair to play all your guys one week and then leave a ton of people on the bench against someone else. Messes up the balance of the league.

You can check anyone's lineup every night. When I see a team gettin their ass kicked, I check to see if they're setting their lineups. Makes it embarrassing how my team in league 1 is doing. :L

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff, here's what you left sitting on your bench this week:

Skaters-11

G-0
A-8
+/- +3
PIM-8
PPG-0
PPA-3
ATIO-19 minutes+
SOG-18
STP-3

Goalies-4
W-4
Svs-126
GAA-1.50
Sv%-.955

Instead of being 2-11-0, you could be 7-6-0 or 8-5-0 right now. Maybe see if someone wants to take the team off your hands if you can't manage it? Not picking on you, but I think you would make the playoffs if you set your line-up everyday.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
not really a whooping. I tend to take goalie categories with the group I have. but our match looks like it's coming down the three powerplay categories. they are all within one point. at some point last night, I think Phaithful was up 7-6 (or maybe I was up.. anyways, it was close :) ).

Phaithful ended up picking up those special teams categories (decisively, as it turns out), and Voukun shat the bed costing me a category, and bada-bing bada-boom Phaithful ends up winning 7-6.

that's OK though... Sidney is going to start willing my team to victory starting tomorrow.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Mav and Vadered on taking the division leads in League 1.

Rit and myself had led since week 1 and it was the first changing of the guard in both divisions. Oddly enough, Rit and Eloco played last week and both lost their lead. And now Vadered and Mav face off this week, so we'll see if the trend continues or they build on their lead.

Need to get healthy and for the Stars and Caps to get back on the stick!

Good luck this week, AJ.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To VETO or not to VETO that is the question? I think this is a very lopsided trade once Crosby begins playing which won't be long.

I warned all of you about this trade. It should have been vetoed. It's without question one of the most lopsided fantasy hockey trades ever made.

Sidney Crosby for Mike Richards & Evander Kane. Give me a break.

Congratulations to Puckhead. The rest of us are fighting for 2nd place.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I warned all of you about this trade. It should have been vetoed. It's without question one of the most lopsided fantasy hockey trades ever made.

Sidney Crosby for Mike Richards & Evander Kane. Give me a break.

Congratulations to Puckhead. The rest of us are fighting for 2nd place.

I went back and forth and ultimately did not vote to veto b/c there IS some unknown there. That said, Wayne suffered through a dead roster spot for two months and got no benefit from that. That's a bad beat he gave himself.

Puckhead isn't guaranteed anything. His goalies are awesome but he is in the middle or at the bottom in most offensive categories. I do think it will stamp his playoff ticket though.

Again, I said this before. Open communication about trades MAKES SENSE.... "Puckhead is offering me Kane and Richards for Crosby. Any better offers from you guys?" Or target it to someone in a PM. "I have an offer on player X, but I'm more interested in your player Y." Long season, no need to rush. Leverages other offers, maybe pressures the other guy to sweeten the deal.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went back and forth and ultimately did not vote to veto b/c there IS some unknown there. That said, Wayne suffered through a dead roster spot for two months and got no benefit from that. That's a bad beat he gave himself.

Puckhead isn't guaranteed anything. His goalies are awesome but he is in the middle or at the bottom in most offensive categories. I do think it will stamp his playoff ticket though.

Again, I said this before. Open communication about trades MAKES SENSE.... "Puckhead is offering me Kane and Richards for Crosby. Any better offers from you guys?" Or target it to someone in a PM. "I have an offer on player X, but I'm more interested in your player Y." Long season, no need to rush. Leverages other offers, maybe pressures the other guy to sweeten the deal.

Puckhead traded one goalie for Lecavalier & got Crosby for scraps. His team is set up for the playoffs that's for sure.

I agree with the open communication on trades. This would let everyone know who's available in a trade.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
again, no one knew exactly when he was coming back.
wayne wanted depth and balance with a western player.
i wanted powerplay points later in the season, as it looks like i will make the playoffs
he was very open that everyone was for sale, and anyone was free to make an offer.

good grief, he's not going to get 4 pts every night. and he could still be a bump away from Lindosberg

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, no one knew exactly when he was coming back.
wayne wanted depth and balance with a western player.
i wanted powerplay points later in the season, as it looks like i will make the playoffs
he was very open that everyone was for sale, and anyone was free to make an offer.

good grief, he's not going to get 4 pts every night. and he could still be a bump away from Lindosberg

Sorry not buying it. You moved at the perfect time & took advantage of the situation. Congratulations.

It was only a matter of time. I said in this thread that Crosby would be back by December 1st. I missed it by 10 days. Even Bylsma said he looked better than any other player in practice.

Crosby is the best player in the league. No other player is even remotely close.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puckhead traded one goalie for Lecavalier & got Crosby for scraps. His team is set up for the playoffs that's for sure.

I agree with the open communication on trades. This would let everyone know who's available in a trade.

With Miller out I really needed another goalie. I was weak in goal before that so instead of picking up a temporary goalie it made sense to me to go after a legit one.

I blame Yahoo. I was there for the beginning of the draft and took Miller. I had to leave for a while and put autodraft on. It had filled a number of bench spots but ignored my open goalie spot. Its not my fault for not setting up autodraft with enough care, its Yahoos fault.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Miller out I really needed another goalie. I was weak in goal before that so instead of picking up a temporary goalie it made sense to me to go after a legit one.

I blame Yahoo. I was there for the beginning of the draft and took Miller. I had to leave for a while and put autodraft on. It had filled a number of bench spots but ignored my open goalie spot. Its not my fault for not setting up autodraft with enough care, its Yahoos fault.

I don't blame you for making the trade for Backstrom. It was fair value considering the situation because you both filled a need & gave up a valuable asset to do so. I stated that I thought it was a good trade for both.

The Crosby trade is a different matter altogether. It was highway robbery.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not my fault for not setting up autodraft with enough care, its Yahoos fault.

Man, that's rough. Yahoo doesn't even run our league and it's their fault. Now THAT is a terrible company.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, that's rough. Yahoo doesn't even run our league and it's their fault. Now THAT is a terrible company.

Its really rough!

(it was late and Yahoo is where my pickem and fantasy football are)

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know - I'm sometimes make the mistakes with my Google machine. ;) Yeah, an IR spot would make life a little easier and cause less need for moves, but then again, we do have plenty of roster spaces.

I respect people's opinions on it. This is my first time playing fantasy hockey. I think there are better ways to express the concern than Mav did, so I appreciate posts like the one Bolts and Vadered made, though as I pointed out (and they did as well) these were the rules of the league and I'm just doing what makes my team the best it can be each week.

Gotta say Vadered's team looks very scary. But I think team of the week goes to Puck who had his best week yet and pushed himself up into playoff position.

Ritari! It's Cap fan on Cap fan this week! :)

This is the reason you have no clue what I'm talking about when I claim that the amount of moves per week that you have been making is highly excessive and often frowned upon. I'm a fantasy hockey veteran to say the absolute least and I can tell you from past experience that you don't swap out the same players again and again just to gain an edge in games played. Why? It's just not part of the winning strategy. If it were, you bet your ass I'd be doing it. Don't even begin to tell me that's not what you're doing either because you won a few categories against me based off of that alone. I have seen excessive swapping done in the playoffs when it's all on the line, but nobody in their right mind does it on a weekly basis (except you).

Regardless, losing to you is not what got me in an uproar over this. I have the division lead back anyway, so that has nothing to do with it. Besides, I had my problems with what you're doing long before our week was ever decided or had even begun. It was however cute and typical of you to think I was upset with your tactics simply because I lost, but that is not the case, I can assure you.

An IR spot wouldn't hardly lessen your moves. Why? For the most part, you're dropping perfectly healthy players, then picking them up again two days later. It's laughable and frankly it should be embarrassing on your part, but it's not officially against the rules eh...so keep doing it and have fun...lol

And finally, if someone busts your balls on here because they beat you head to head or took the division lead from you, it's nothing more than a little talk and I sure as hell wouldn't take it to heart as you did when I gloated a bit. Actions speak louder than words however, so if you're going to attempt to player swap your way to the finals, you can do so without my respect and that of a few others as well I am sure. They just don't have the courage to come out and say it.

:finger:

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like people making tons of moves, but the options are set to allow unlimited acquisitions, and they were set that way long in advance of the draft. When you start the league, you can limit the number of roster moves owners are allowed to do per week. They aren't limited in league one, so if somebody wants to swap players left and right, that's their call.

I would recommend a 7 transactions per week limit next year, along with an IR spot, but I'll still show either way. I play 'cuz it's fun, not because I'm LOOKING TO WIN. If I were LOOKING TO WIN, I'd join a money league and actually try, rather than click on the Players tab a few times a week and see if somebody waived Ovechkin by accident.

You're right, but 7 transactions per week is still far too many. That would be around 140 moves per season not including playoffs. A cap on moves for the entire season (postseason included) would be interesting too. Something like 50 (for 19 weeks plus the playoffs). That would add some strategy to it and still prevent abuse of the system. Nobody should need more than 2-3 per week at the absolute most to replace injured and/or slumping players. If we have any IR spots, then the need to add/drop players becomes even less necessary (unless you still feel like cheating). If you're dumping a player because he had one or two bad games, then you're not giving him a chance. That's not a slump, it's just part of hockey.

It's not tough to just do your homework, draft the players you want and dress your best players night in and night out. Then every week it's your players against their players instead of your players + the entire free agent market vs. their players. You've done a fine job of drafting strong and then sleeping in the bed you've made.

It's one thing to dump a guy on free agency because he just got relegated to the fourth line, but to swap guys out and then pick them back up again two days later to get a quick start out of another guy is just using the system to gain an unfair advantage over your opponent. I think you would agree that swapping players just to get more games played and win certain categories is going above and beyond what is considered honest and fair to win your week.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, but 7 transactions per week is still far too many. That would be around 140 moves per season not including playoffs. A cap on moves for the entire season (postseason included) would be interesting too. Something like 50 (for 19 weeks plus the playoffs). That would add some strategy to it and still prevent abuse of the system. Nobody should need more than 2-3 per week at the absolute most to replace injured and/or slumping players. If we have any IR spots, then the need to add/drop players becomes even less necessary (unless you still feel like cheating). If you're dumping a player because he had one or two bad games, then you're not giving him a chance. That's not a slump, it's just part of hockey.

It's not tough to just do your homework, draft the players you want and dress your best players night in and night out. Then every week it's your players against their players instead of your players + the entire free agent market vs. their players. You've done a fine job of drafting strong and then sleeping in the bed you've made.

It's one thing to dump a guy on free agency because he just got relegated to the fourth line, but to swap guys out and then pick them back up again two days later to get a quick start out of another guy is just using the system to gain an unfair advantage over your opponent. I think you would agree that swapping players just to get more games played and win certain categories is going above and beyond what is considered honest and fair to win your week.

I agree with you for the most part. If one team only has players in the lineup 3 times per week & another team is swapping out players everyday so they have 5 to 7 days with a full lineup it's going to tip the scales in their favor in a big way.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I agree with you for the most part. If one team only has players in the lineup 3 times per week & another team is swapping out players everyday so they have 5 to 7 days with a full lineup it's going to tip the scales in their favor in a big way.

I agree it's a bit of a dick move to rotate the bottom of your roster out every day.
however, the biggest point is.... everyone is free to do the same.

it's a free league, no prize at the end. frankly it doesn't seem worth the effort to scour the schedule every day for the entire season. Loco apparently thinks it is.

when there was a discussion earlier about limiting moves to 7 per week next year... I'd prefer to put that down to about 2. just enough to take care of occasional upgrades or injury replacements.