• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Ritari's 2nd Annual SportsHoopla Fantasy Hockey

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your perspective, but teams shouldn't be viewed differently for trying to improve their team b/c they attended the draft or not or b/c they are doing well or poorly. Nobody knows what injuries or changes might befall their team down the road - it's a long, long season and things change.

Yourself and Wayne both added goalies this weekend to try to win goalie categories. Kudos to both of you! You are being active managers and trying to win. Wayne made a great move on me today adding a goalie that was a FA who is starting. I can't do that - I have 4 goalies and I like them and I'm going to keep them at least for the next couple months. But that's a heads up move on his part and he might take away a category or two (wins, save pct.) from me by doing it. Or he might lose one he has in his pocket (GAA).

But that is the very POINT of the game - trying to win categories. And you are either making a decision to risk losing a good player OR unloading an unproductive player to do so. That's your call as fantasy manager.

Mav is complaining about me managing my team. Two things about that:

(1) Very simply, Mav is whining because he lost. Even beyond that, he made this some kind of moral thing ("makes me sick," "how do you sleep") that is WAY out of touch with reality and decent behavior. When he lost, he had to come up with some reason why my team didn't deserve to win to make himself feel better and regurgitated it all over this thread. I drafted well rounded players (Ott, Burrows), my defense had more points than any other team last year, and I have a good core of goalies. If you can't respect those things, keep it to yourself. You've had a number of occasions where you have added a player, dropped them a day or two later and added someone else - against me AND others. Can you still sleep at night? Probably. Telling everyone you are better than them all the time and then ripping them apart when you lose is silly and poor sportsmanship.

(2) This is all perspective. I've made 3x the moves Mav has. He's made 3x the moves that Crabs or Vadered has. Should they be "sick" over his actions? No, b/c he's trying to improve his team and give it the best chance to win. Everyone has that option at all times. You can't fault someone for picking up player X when you had the same opportunity! If you passed on it b/c you think player Y on your team is better, that's your choice.

Overall, I'm going to keep doing whatever I think helps me win the most categories each week. Last I checked, that was the point of the game.

I added a goalie because Johnston sucked last night. Luckily, I didn't play him. I don't make moves on a day to gain any advantage, just to drop him again. I picked up Johnston to play him when he plays instead of Fleury. but he sucked last night so I went BACK to Nabby in hopes he gets his game back.

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS - Nice comeback this week, Wayne. We'll see if your boys can chop me down to size tonight! Like the Nabby move after I rested my goalie last night, you sneaky bastard! ;)

I'm gonna sit Theo b/c I think the Flyers light him up today. We'll see. Gonna be close. Good luck.

I wanted the option of having both goalies from one team so you get the start no matter what. But Johnston is playing too poorly this year for me to keep him. I'll chalk it up as a failed experiment. the move had no bearing on our match-up. It's a long term fix hopefully.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted the option of having both goalies from one team so you get the start no matter what. But Johnston is playing too poorly this year for me to keep him. I'll chalk it up as a failed experiment. the move had no bearing on our match-up. It's a long term fix hopefully.

I don't really care why you did it. You don't have to justify it to me.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interleague play starts now!

Begin the Best > Least or Beast > Worst talk.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your perspective, but teams shouldn't be viewed differently for trying to improve their team b/c they attended the draft or not or b/c they are doing well or poorly. Nobody knows what injuries or changes might befall their team down the road - it's a long, long season and things change.

Yourself and Wayne both added goalies this weekend to try to win goalie categories. Kudos to both of you! You are being active managers and trying to win. Wayne made a great move on me today adding a goalie that was a FA who is starting. I can't do that - I have 4 goalies and I like them and I'm going to keep them at least for the next couple months. But that's a heads up move on his part and he might take away a category or two (wins, save pct.) from me by doing it. Or he might lose one he has in his pocket (GAA).

But that is the very POINT of the game - trying to win categories. And you are either making a decision to risk losing a good player OR unloading an unproductive player to do so. That's your call as fantasy manager.

Mav is complaining about me managing my team. Two things about that:

(1) Very simply, Mav is whining because he lost. Even beyond that, he made this some kind of moral thing ("makes me sick," "how do you sleep") that is WAY out of touch with reality and decent behavior. When he lost, he had to come up with some reason why my team didn't deserve to win to make himself feel better and regurgitated it all over this thread. I drafted well rounded players (Ott, Burrows), my defense had more points than any other team last year, and I have a good core of goalies. If you can't respect those things, keep it to yourself. You've had a number of occasions where you have added a player, dropped them a day or two later and added someone else - against me AND others. Can you still sleep at night? Probably. Telling everyone you are better than them all the time and then ripping them apart when you lose is silly and poor sportsmanship.

(2) This is all perspective. I've made 3x the moves Mav has. He's made 3x the moves that Crabs or Vadered has. Should they be "sick" over his actions? No, b/c he's trying to improve his team and give it the best chance to win. Everyone has that option at all times. You can't fault someone for picking up player X when you had the same opportunity! If you passed on it b/c you think player Y on your team is better, that's your choice.

Overall, I'm going to keep doing whatever I think helps me win the most categories each week. Last I checked, that was the point of the game.

The Enroth move in League 1 was made because I believe he's going to get a lot of starts with Miller hurt. He didn't play today. If I was so worried about this weeks matchup in League 2 why didn't I start Anderson against Toronto last night? He's played like crap the last two games. I added Nabokov because I think he's going to get some starts & I think he's going to be traded. Anderson is very inconsistant.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm screwed with Miller hurt.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like people making tons of moves, but the options are set to allow unlimited acquisitions, and they were set that way long in advance of the draft. When you start the league, you can limit the number of roster moves owners are allowed to do per week. They aren't limited in league one, so if somebody wants to swap players left and right, that's their call.

I would recommend a 7 transactions per week limit next year, along with an IR spot, but I'll still show either way. I play 'cuz it's fun, not because I'm LOOKING TO WIN. If I were LOOKING TO WIN, I'd join a money league and actually try, rather than click on the Players tab a few times a week and see if somebody waived Ovechkin by accident.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what trades are for. Look at everyone's rosters. I'm sure you will see a few teams with at least 3 starting goalies. Some have 4.

Yeah I'm looking around now.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like people making tons of moves, but the options are set to allow unlimited acquisitions, and they were set that way long in advance of the draft. When you start the league, you can limit the number of roster moves owners are allowed to do per week. They aren't limited in league one, so if somebody wants to swap players left and right, that's their call.

I would recommend a 7 transactions per week limit next year, along with an IR spot, but I'll still show either way. I play 'cuz it's fun, not because I'm LOOKING TO WIN. If I were LOOKING TO WIN, I'd join a money league and actually try, rather than click on the Players tab a few times a week and see if somebody waived Ovechkin by accident.

Seven is a good number. That's an average of one transaction per day for the week.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm looking around now.

Take Craig Anderson.

I mean, like, take him. I would trade you fucking Alexander Ovechkin (if I had him) for you having to keep Anderson on your roster for the year and play him every game he plays.

Forty nine GAA in second to last game.

FORTY. NINE. GAA.

(I am exaggerating and will actually ask for recompense should you trade for one of my admittedly shitty goalies).

Last edited by a moderator:

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seven is a good number. That's an average of one transaction per day for the week.

That's the idea. It encourages people to stay active in order to stay competitive, but doesn't let somebody roll twenty different players through three roster spots in a week to get a ton of games.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You never know - I'm sometimes make the mistakes with my Google machine. ;) Yeah, an IR spot would make life a little easier and cause less need for moves, but then again, we do have plenty of roster spaces.

I respect people's opinions on it. This is my first time playing fantasy hockey. I think there are better ways to express the concern than Mav did, so I appreciate posts like the one Bolts and Vadered made, though as I pointed out (and they did as well) these were the rules of the league and I'm just doing what makes my team the best it can be each week.

Gotta say Vadered's team looks very scary. But I think team of the week goes to Puck who had his best week yet and pushed himself up into playoff position.

Ritari! It's Cap fan on Cap fan this week! :)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the idea. It encourages people to stay active in order to stay competitive, but doesn't let somebody roll twenty different players through three roster spots in a week to get a ton of games.

Just for the record, I haven't done that. And I know you weren't referring to me either. But I have 48 moves total in a little over 40 days of the season. About what you guys are talking about. And while some of them have been rolling players, I've also been accounting for injuries and making changes.

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always open to trades. My team in league 1 is in last place so make an offer.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
ugh. 5 guys skating tonight: 3 are hurt, and 1 is a healthy scratch (Myers).

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Puck, I proposed a trade to you.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just picked up Reimer from free agency. Hope he unconcusses soon. If not, well, I dropped my backup backup goalie to get him, so no loss.