• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Ritari's 2nd Annual SportsHoopla Fantasy Hockey

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, aside from all the moaning about how terrible an idea it is to trade with Beantown EVER :cool2: we should probably talk about actual fantasy hockey at some point.

Who has been the biggest surprise on your roster so far this year, both positive and negative? I'll go first.

Positive: Sheldon Souray. I knew he was decent, but the dude is on pace for 76 points or so, which is way better than I anticipated. He also has yet to be a minus for a game. Oddly enough, he's probably my best all around player, as a defenseman I drafted to fill out my roster. I'd love to say I called it... but I didn't. Kyle Quincey, my LAST PICK is the runner up for this spot as he tied for 12th in defenseman scoring and 4th for defensemen SOG.

Negative: Let's just say when your best goalie plays for the Senators, you need some help. Bryzgalov is killing me. There was a four game stretch where he let in 18 goals in 91 shots.

Odd: Scott Hartnell. I drafted him as an all arounder - he's usually a lock for 40-50 points and 125 PIMs. He's only going to get around 90 PIMs at this rate, but he's on pace for around 70 points... uh... okay? I'll take it, I guess. Just make sure to hold off on running the goalie till AFTER the puck is in the net, Harts.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League 1 Surprise: Claude Giroux. I knew he was good. I didn't know he would be this good.

League 1 Disappointment: Derek Roy. I know he's coming off an injury, but I thought he'd be better.

League 2 Surprise: Jordan Staal. I got him with a late pick & he's really stepped up his game.

League 2 Disappointment: Ryan Getzlaf & Matt Mouslon. Both are off to slow starts.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League 1 Surprise: Claude Giroux. I knew he was good. I didn't know he would be this good.

League 1 Disappointment: Derek Roy. I know he's coming off an injury, but I thought he'd be better.

League 2 Surprise: Jordan Staal. I got him with a late pick & he's really stepped up his game.

League 2 Disappointment: Ryan Getzlaf & Matt Mouslon. Both are off to slow starts.

I admit I am surprised by Giroux for just that reason. Damn he is on fire.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, aside from all the moaning about how terrible an idea it is to trade with Beantown EVER :cool2: we should probably talk about actual fantasy hockey at some point.

Who has been the biggest surprise on your roster so far this year, both positive and negative? I'll go first.

Positive: Sheldon Souray. I knew he was decent, but the dude is on pace for 76 points or so, which is way better than I anticipated. He also has yet to be a minus for a game. Oddly enough, he's probably my best all around player, as a defenseman I drafted to fill out my roster. I'd love to say I called it... but I didn't. Kyle Quincey, my LAST PICK is the runner up for this spot as he tied for 12th in defenseman scoring and 4th for defensemen SOG.

Negative: Let's just say when your best goalie plays for the Senators, you need some help. Bryzgalov is killing me. There was a four game stretch where he let in 18 goals in 91 shots.

Odd: Scott Hartnell. I drafted him as an all arounder - he's usually a lock for 40-50 points and 125 PIMs. He's only going to get around 90 PIMs at this rate, but he's on pace for around 70 points... uh... okay? I'll take it, I guess. Just make sure to hold off on running the goalie till AFTER the puck is in the net, Harts.

Souray wasn't even in the league last year. The fact you've had him on your roster from the beginning is amazing.

At least Bryz holds himself accountable. The Flyers defense needs to play better in front of him. Getting Pronger back will help as well.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let it go pal. I already said multiple times that I'm fine with the trade even though Markstrom has been sent down to the minors. I wanted to upgrade my forwards. You wanted a goalie. It is what it is.

Jagr for St. Louis is one thing. Jagr for St. Louis & Fleury is another.

At least be honest with what the deal was. It was Jagr and Garon for Fleury and St Louis, and it was an initial offer. You could have just turned it down or countered instead of coming on here and saying I was trying to take advantage of you. Having the backup to one of your starters isn't a bad thing.

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know where you're going with that, but it should be repeated 1) you wanted to trade Brady, and 2) I accepted a trade offered to me by bolts. I wasn't out to screw anyone. Trading isn't rocket science ( much to the disappointment of darkstone). Someone makes an offer and you either A) accept it, B) reject it and make a counter offer, or C) just reject it without making a counter offer. Personally, I think fantasy gets a little boring without trades and such. It's not a money league so I'm not too worried about how I finish except if a Flyers fan wins, we'll NEVER hear the end of it here.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least be honest with what the deal was. It was Jagr and Garon for Fleury and St Louis, and it was an initial offer. You could have just turned it down or countered instead of coming on here and saying I was trying to take advantage of you. Having the backup to one of your starters isn't a bad thing.

Garon was a throw in. There are better goalies available on waivers.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know where you're going with that, but it should be repeated 1) you wanted to trade Brady, and 2) I accepted a trade offered to me by bolts. I wasn't out to screw anyone. Trading isn't rocket science ( much to the disappointment of darkstone). Someone makes an offer and you either A) accept it, B) reject it and make a counter offer, or C) just reject it without making a counter offer. Personally, I think fantasy gets a little boring without trades and such. It's not a money league so I'm not too worried about how I finish except if a Flyers fan wins, we'll NEVER hear the end of it here.

I made an offer to you that I DON'T have any regrets about. End of story.

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I made an offer to you that I DON'T have any regrets about. End of story.

That post wasn't even to you so I don't know what your problem is.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last three weeks, I've beaten you 8-5, 10-3, and (when it actually counted) 8-4-1. How's that "truth" working out? ;) Good game this week. Pretty close one. Looks like we have a couple nice rivalries developing out West.

Congrats to DaBolts who doubled his wins this week. Big turn around. After being told he got screwed all week, Jeff Skinner actually won a category for him with a PP assist. Crazy.

Please don't make me laugh. The REAL truth of the matter is that the ONLY reason you're leading this league is because your team is bad enough and you are willing enough to swap out players daily and get an edge over your opponent each and every week while other managers either have too good of a team for that nonsensical bullshit, don't have the time or patience, or simply decide not to out of respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't make me laugh. The REAL truth of the matter is that the ONLY reason you're leading this league is because your team is bad enough and you are willing enough to swap out players daily and get an edge over your opponent each and every week while other managers either have too good of a team for that nonsensical bullshit, don't have the time or patience, or simply decide not to out of respect.

Lol. Somebody doesn't like the taste of crow. You certainly made some changes during our match to do the same, but it's okay to criticize me for it since my additions worked out better than yours. Almost 90% of my team is the exact same as the first week of the season. It was a close match. You did well. Too bad you can't give others credit once in awhile.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Somebody doesn't like the taste of crow. You certainly made some changes during our match to do the same, but it's okay to criticize me for it since my additions worked out better than yours. Almost 90% of my team is the exact same as the first week of the season. It was a close match. You did well. Too bad you can't give others credit once in awhile.

I'm more than happy to give credit where credit is due, but when someone's bench consists of the entire free agent market, that tends to disgust me. Earlier in the season when Vadered was freaking out about how weak his goaltending had been, I was happy to reassure him that he had one of the top three teams in the league once that turned around. He may even have the best team once Bryzgalov and Halak get it rolling. To lead the league in goals, assists, +/- and shots with only 4 moves made is damn impressive.

I've made 15 moves through 4 and a half weeks and you've made 45. You added 12 players in the week we competed and I added 4, if only in a silly attempt to keep pace with you in a more respectful manner, so let's not pretend that I'm doing what you are. I had several injured players at the beginning of that week and you had a healthy team, yet still felt the need to pile on by repeatedly swapping out your lesser players.

If you actually mean 76% when you say "almost 90% of my team is the exact same", then you're right. That doesn't matter though. I have no problem with a guy that has swapped out a lot of his original team just because he had injuries or saw better players on free agency. However, when you're swapping out players daily not because of an injury or a slump, but JUST to gain a competitive edge in games played over your opponent and therefore win more of the skating categories you otherwise wouldn't necessarily win, I have a serious problem with that.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You personally deserve credit for drafting three starting goalies that are really getting the job done right now in addition to Benn and Eriksson that have been superhuman for Dallas, but beyond that, your team has been very average in the skating categories.

You've noticed this and are making up for it by swapping out 1 to 3 of your players daily in order to help win cumulative categories like goals, assists, pims, ppg's, ppa's, sog, stp and even atoi by swapping in a few defensemen for a game or two each like you did to me.

I've been playing fantasy hockey for a long time. Those swaps make a serious difference in the totals at the end of the week. You're no idiot. You know this and that's why you're doing it. But really, how in the fuck do you sleep at night?

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering why you picked Datsyuk. He's good, don't get me wrong, but I don't like him as much for fantasy because the thing he's best at is deking and that don't score no fantasy points. He's great for +/-, but I don't like to chase that stat because it's so weird year to year. I would have picked Kopitar where you were, and left Datsyuk for the 10-12 pick. I'm not enamored with the rest of your forwards, either. Giroux was a bit of a risk picking him where you did - he's on the first line now, and while that might mean he gets more ice time and more points, it also means he's up against the other team's best D. He's not a bad player or even a bad fantasy player (he actually has some really good upside), but for the second round you might want to grab somebody who's proven they can handle first unit duties.

Hahaha, what an idio... wait.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goodness, people take things way too seriously. It's a free league, quit ya bitchin' and sometimes let things go. Sheesh.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha, what an idio... wait.

Lmao. Nice self-burn!

Back to Vadered's question at the top of the page...

Biggest surprise - positive - Jamie Benn. I thought he'd be about a 30/35 guy this season, but didn't think he'd be this good. I still expect him to fall off his current pace some

Biggest surprise - negative - Defenders. I drafted 4 guys in the top 15 and 6 guys in the top 40 among defenseman in points last year. Right now, only 2 are in the top 40, one is completely useless, and one is on IR. So I've had to adjust, frowned upon as that might be. :rolleyes:

I think a lot of these things will regress towards the mean in the end. But you can tell some guys just aren't getting the minutes, PP time, etc. you thought they would. Part of the game though!

beantownmaniac

Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more than happy to give credit where credit is due, but when someone's bench consists of the entire free agent market, that tends to disgust me. Earlier in the season when Vadered was freaking out about how weak his goaltending had been, I was happy to reassure him that he had one of the top three teams in the league once that turned around. He may even have the best team once Bryzgalov and Halak get it rolling. To lead the league in goals, assists, +/- and shots with only 4 moves made is damn impressive.

I've made 15 moves through 4 and a half weeks and you've made 45. You added 12 players in the week we competed and I added 4, if only in a silly attempt to keep pace with you in a more respectful manner, so let's not pretend that I'm doing what you are. I had several injured players at the beginning of that week and you had a healthy team, yet still felt the need to pile on by repeatedly swapping out your lesser players.

If you actually mean 76% when you say "almost 90% of my team is the exact same", then you're right. That doesn't matter though. I have no problem with a guy that has swapped out a lot of his original team just because he had injuries or saw better players on free agency. However, when you're swapping out players daily not because of an injury or a slump, but JUST to gain a competitive edge in games played over your opponent and therefore win more of the skating categories you otherwise wouldn't necessarily win, I have a serious problem with that.

:pop2: