• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guessed this was gonna happen yesterday when Beeston came out and said Anthopolous should be considered a team MVP ... like a star player ... parting shot by outgoing prez
Yeah, but he also said he was "not irreplaceable" lol.

But yeah, definitely seemed like he knew what was coming.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you fucking imagine if a GM took the Leafs to within 2 wins of a Cup final, looked good most of the way doing so, and then the team fucking fired that GM? You guys thought the Vancouver riot was bad?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you fucking imagine if a GM took the Leafs to within 2 wins of a Cup final, looked good most of the way doing so, and then the team fucking fired that GM? You guys thought the Vancouver riot was bad?

Id love to see that all happen lol :thumb:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wish i could like your dislike bbb lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow thats goofy

Shapiro, a two-time baseball executive of the year, will be charged with modernizing the Jays’ business operations. The team generated $20 million worth of corporate sponsorship revenue during the 2015 season, less than the $21 million generated by Toronto FC, a source familiar with the matter told TSN.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow thats goofy

Shapiro, a two-time baseball executive of the year, will be charged with modernizing the Jays’ business operations. The team generated $20 million worth of corporate sponsorship revenue during the 2015 season, less than the $21 million generated by Toronto FC, a source familiar with the matter told TSN.
How...how is that even possible? Even when the Jays are fucking terrible they still average 500-700k viewers and 20,000 attendance. How fucking inept was Beeston?!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, okay, okay...let me try to understand this. So Anthopoulos brings an UNDER .500 TEAM at the trade deadline a wealth of talent, gets that team to win their division, gets them to the playoffs for the first time in 20+ years, gets them to the ALCS, and the ownership responds by bringing in a babysitter, thusly causing the man who orchestrated the entire season to leave. I mean, I'm not going to pretend that the Jays may feel the affects of those trades, and it's not like AA was perfect (hey RA Dickey!), but Shapiro is supposed to manage this now? Shapiro is thrifty with his spending, but to me it's more confusion as to why Toronto is acting like the dang Brewers. Everyone wants to save money and get the most out of talent, sure...but they don't HAVE to think like a small market in Toronto.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see, the Blue Jays were taking too much media attention away from the Maple Leafs, so changes were needed.

:D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, okay, okay...let me try to understand this. So Anthopoulos brings an UNDER .500 TEAM at the trade deadline a wealth of talent, gets that team to win their division, gets them to the playoffs for the first time in 20+ years, gets them to the ALCS, and the ownership responds by bringing in a babysitter, thusly causing the man who orchestrated the entire season to leave. I mean, I'm not going to pretend that the Jays may feel the affects of those trades, and it's not like AA was perfect (hey RA Dickey!), but Shapiro is supposed to manage this now? Shapiro is thrifty with his spending, but to me it's more confusion as to why Toronto is acting like the dang Brewers. Everyone wants to save money and get the most out of talent, sure...but they don't HAVE to think like a small market in Toronto.
Shapiro was hired under certain conditions, and he is simply carrying out his duties as president under those conditions.

Unfortunately, what seems to have happened here is those conditions are clashing with how AA expected to do his job, which is to say he expected his day-to-day role to be same as its been for years. Obviously that was never going to be the case whether the Jays got Shapiro or Dombrowski or Duquette or Williams or whomever as president, so this was pretty much inevitable.

Another way of looking at it is that AA bluffed and Shapiro called his bluff.

Regardless, this clusterfuck falls squarely on Rogers. From the day they tried hiring Ken Williams behind Paul Beeston's back, who then proceeded to call Beeston and tell him what Rogers was doing, this was handled like children building a treehouse and deciding which of their "friends" not to let in. I don't blame AA for not working under conditions he believes he's earned (which I'll get to in a sec), I don't blame Shapiro for working under the conditions that were agreed to when he signed, and I don't blame Jays fans for wondering why a GM who just took the team to a breath away from the World Series. This falls all on Rogers and Bumblefuck Eddie and their shitshow of an example of how not to run an organization.

As for AA, like you said there were dumb moments. The Dickey trade, the Marlins trade in retrospect, hiring Gibbons and keeping him here forever despite much evidence that he simply doesn't know how to manage a major league ball club...but he did, by and large, exactly what the organization needed him to do. He got out from under bad contracts (Wells), he drafted exceptionally well - the Jays' 2010 draft reads like a fantasy draft today (Sanchez, Syndergaard, Nicolino, Dyson, Nolin, Pompey, Bryant) and that's with a few whiffs (Deck McGuire taken two spots ahead of Chris Sale :L) - and then after he traded a fuck ton of prospects to the Marlins and Mets, drafted like crazy and re-built the farm again. And that's all without mentioning what he did last winter and this summer.

I wish him the best and hope he finds another job soon with a good club. Best the Jays can hope for is Shapiro promotes from within and gives the GM spot to Tony LaCava (he's worked with Shapiro before in Cleveland).

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shapiro was hired under certain conditions, and he is simply carrying out his duties as president under those conditions.

Unfortunately, what seems to have happened here is those conditions are clashing with how AA expected to do his job, which is to say he expected his day-to-day role to be same as its been for years. Obviously that was never going to be the case whether the Jays got Shapiro or Dombrowski or Duquette or Williams or whomever as president, so this was pretty much inevitable.

Another way of looking at it is that AA bluffed and Shapiro called his bluff.

Regardless, this clusterfuck falls squarely on Rogers. From the day they tried hiring Ken Williams behind Paul Beeston's back, who then proceeded to call Beeston and tell him what Rogers was doing, this was handled like children building a treehouse and deciding which of their "friends" not to let in. I don't blame AA for not working under conditions he believes he's earned (which I'll get to in a sec), I don't blame Shapiro for working under the conditions that were agreed to when he signed, and I don't blame Jays fans for wondering why a GM who just took the team to a breath away from the World Series. This falls all on Rogers and Bumblefuck Eddie and their shitshow of an example of how not to run an organization.

As for AA, like you said there were dumb moments. The Dickey trade, the Marlins trade in retrospect, hiring Gibbons and keeping him here forever despite much evidence that he simply doesn't know how to manage a major league ball club...but he did, by and large, exactly what the organization needed him to do. He got out from under bad contracts (Wells), he drafted exceptionally well - the Jays' 2010 draft reads like a fantasy draft today (Sanchez, Syndergaard, Nicolino, Dyson, Nolin, Pompey, Bryant) and that's with a few whiffs (Deck McGuire taken two spots ahead of Chris Sale :L) - and then after he traded a fuck ton of prospects to the Marlins and Mets, drafted like crazy and re-built the farm again. And that's all without mentioning what he did last winter and this summer.

I wish him the best and hope he finds another job soon with a good club. Best the Jays can hope for is Shapiro promotes from within and gives the GM spot to Tony LaCava (he's worked with Shapiro before in Cleveland).

Seems like some blame needs to go Shapiros way.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like some blame needs to go Shapiros way.
This story's been out there all day, but I don't entirely believe it.

For starters, the trades were AA's right to make, and the prospects were his draft choices to use as he pleased in his role as GM. I doubt Shapiro, himself once a young GM, decided to humiliate his new subordinate in his first face-to-face.

Second, the contract offer may have been presented as an opportunity for AA to see how he likes working under Shapiro and vice-versa. If AA was indeed offended by it, okay. He's entitled to feel so. Shapiro is also entitled to staff his organization as he sees fit, and committing to a GM who a) he may not like working with, or b) may not like working with him, is just bad business.

Finally, for the reputation Shapiro's acquired in Toronto in the past 24 hours it sure seems like those who worked with him in the past don't seem to share a similar sentiment. Ken Rosenthal said that Chris Antonetti had actually lobbied Shapiro to get more involved with baseball ops, something Shapiro apparently wasn't very interested in doing as he preferred to place his trust in his successor. Would seem to contradict the whole "Shapiro is a power-hungry maniac" narrative.

I think this is a joke, don't get me wrong. I don't know how a team can manage to lose the executive of the year in such a comical manner. I'm relatively pissed off. But I'm also aware there's a next step to this and I'm more than willing to wait for it and judge everything then.

Status
Not open for further replies.