• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the defense is a big question mark with him, he likely won't be a SS in the majors. Curious to see how his bat translates.

I'm certainly interested to see what happens with this...seeing as the Pirates have a starting SS (Mercer), 3B (Harrison), and 2B (Walker), in addition to Sean Rodriguez as the bench utility guy. So, not sure what the plan is. A lot of people are talking like this somehow results in a trade of one of Mercer/Walker/Alvarez, which makes no sense. We're talking about an unproven MLB commodity.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sister had a grocery list started on the kitchen counter.

One of the items on it was brown sugar.

Next to it I wrote in small letters, "why do you taste so good?"

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
My sister had a grocery list started on the kitchen counter.

One of the items on it was brown sugar.

Next to it I wrote in small letters, "why do you taste so good?"

that's my absolute favourite song about raping underage slaves

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Phillies stock piling on arms in the minors - can't hurt I guess

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MLB HoF is a joke. The people who have votes use them to make ridiculous points and statements. Because of that, certain guys get shafted. The rules about limiting the votes and guys who are voting ruin it and make it political. There are plenty of guys who should be in, but aren't, and plenty of guys who've gotten votes for zero reason.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MLB HoF is a joke. The people who have votes use them to make ridiculous points and statements. Because of that, certain guys get shafted. The rules about limiting the votes and guys who are voting ruin it and make it political. There are plenty of guys who should be in, but aren't, and plenty of guys who've gotten votes for zero reason.

*cough* Darin Erstad and Aaron Boone *cough*

There was a voter who turned in a blank ballot. Really? Blank? There are voters who have admitted they don't even watch baseball anymore. How are they still allowed to vote?

But the 10 vote limit is also stupid, as is this "first ballot" distinction, which doesn't even mean anything to the Hall. It's not on the plaque or any other record in the Hall, it's just in the minds of the voters. If a guy had a Hall of Fame career, vote him into the Hall of Fame, no limits, no politics.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*cough* Darin Erstad and Aaron Boone *cough*

There was a voter who turned in a blank ballot. Really? Blank? There are voters who have admitted they don't even watch baseball anymore. How are they still allowed to vote?

But the 10 vote limit is also stupid, as is this "first ballot" distinction, which doesn't even mean anything to the Hall. It's not on the plaque or any other record in the Hall, it's just in the minds of the voters. If a guy had a Hall of Fame career, vote him into the Hall of Fame, no limits, no politics.

The Erstad one this year...good lord. Zero accountability for these guys. Make the ballots public and maybe things change, and take away ballots from those not involved. Can they take away ballots, or does the voter have to give it up?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently didnt some baseball HOF voter admit they didn't vote for someone because they didn't want the person to be elected unanimously?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB in its entirety is a joke. Now that the newness has worn off of the Pirates getting out of their 20-year losing drought, I can go back to ignoring it again.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently didnt some baseball HOF voter admit they didn't vote for someone because they didn't want the person to be elected unanimously?

Probably. It's really silly, though. Martinez and Johnson should have been unanimous. Johnson was probably the greatest left-handed starter of all time. Martinez might have had the greatest peak for a pitcher all time. They're both in those conversations, at least, and if that isn't Hall of Fame worthy, then we need to rethink our standards.

Griffey, Jr. is on the ballot next year. Junior should also be elected unanimously. He was one of the best hitters in the history of the game despite extensive injuries. Had he been healthy for his career, I think he would have been firmly entrenched in the conversation for single greatest baseball player ever. There was nothing a healthy Junior didn't do at an elite level. There will be no viable excuse for not voting for him.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just read up on this. It was initially reported someone left Maddux off his ballot because he didnt want him to be unanimous. Turns out it was just cause he decided to not vote for ANY player that played in the steroid era.

Probably. It's really silly, though. Martinez and Johnson should have been unanimous. Johnson was probably the greatest left-handed starter of all time. Martinez might have had the greatest peak for a pitcher all time. They're both in those conversations, at least, and if that isn't Hall of Fame worthy, then we need to rethink our standards.

Griffey, Jr. is on the ballot next year. Junior should also be elected unanimously. He was one of the best hitters in the history of the game despite extensive injuries. Had he been healthy for his career, I think he would have been firmly entrenched in the conversation for single greatest baseball player ever. There was nothing a healthy Junior didn't do at an elite level. There will be no viable excuse for not voting for him.

Griffey was so good when he was young before the injuries set in.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read up on this. It was initially reported someone left Maddux off his ballot because he didnt want him to be unanimous. Turns out it was just cause he decided to not vote for ANY player that played in the steroid era.

Griffey was so good when he was young before the injuries set in.

God, that is so stupid. Look, guaranteed that there's a guy in the HoF that roided. Multiple I'm sure. They need to just let it go. Bonds should be in the hall, but never will be. Pete Rose should 1000000% be in the hall, but won't be because of politics. It's idiotic. MLB is trouble enough with the ol' boys running the show, let alone letting the ol' boys of journalism control the HoF.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Bonds had similar tools to Ken Griffey Jr. before he roided up - Great hitter (both average and power), plenty of speed, great defense in the outfield etc.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate voters that have petty or silly reasons to justify their votes. Having said that, personally I wouldn't vote for Jack Morris because he had a mustache.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Bonds had similar tools to Ken Griffey Jr. before he roided up - Great hitter (both average and power), plenty of speed, great defense in the outfield etc.

He was a better player, IMO, pre-roids. But then the arms race began, and money was to be made by hitting homers. He played 12 years prior to beginning steroids (according to reports he began in '98, MLB debut season was '86), although his career took off in about '90 and he had some great years on both sides of the steroid line. I don't know, it just doesn't bug me. But, I'm not a HoF player. Maybe they should be the ones voting, not Joe "can't even catch a ball" Scmoe in the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.