• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The whole NASCAR system is a joke, Jeff Gordon was flat out screwed out of a spot in the final race for the Championship - he has four wins this season, Ryan Newman has none and he gets in the chase? NASCAR is supposed to value wins highly, I guess they don't value it high enough - last week Brad Keselowski screwed over Jeff and now Ryan Newman does this week - embarrassing

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think:

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]532703494017650688[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates acquired Fransisco Cervelli from the Yankees for Justin Wilson. Interesting move. Not necessarily a "we lost Russ" move, but certainly a proactive one. I'm not too hurt about losing Wilson. I wouldn't be surprised if he develops this year magically, but his command was just all over the place. Having a gas can is nice, but you can't throw straight heat out of the zone and expect success in the majors.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates acquired Fransisco Cervelli from the Yankees for Justin Wilson. Interesting move. Not necessarily a "we lost Russ" move, but certainly a proactive one. I'm not too hurt about losing Wilson. I wouldn't be surprised if he develops this year magically, but his command was just all over the place. Having a gas can is nice, but you can't throw straight heat out of the zone and expect success in the majors.

The fastball is flat and hittable, too, despite the velocity.

I like Cervelli a lot. He's a good receiver and gets on base. He's not Martin, but he's a solid backstop. If Martin walks, we'll be fine with Cervelli back there.

But if Martin does walk, we should use that money to bring in a first base bat. I like Laroche the best on this market, personally, but I'm not sure the front office would be okay with that. Second place goes to Michael Morse, who might be pretty shaky in the field, but the dude can mash the ball, and he should come decently cheap.

If Liriano goes elsewhere, I'd turn my attentions to Santana and Shields. Shields is ambitious, but of the true aces on the market, his contract will likely be the most reasonable.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fastball is flat and hittable, too, despite the velocity.

I like Cervelli a lot. He's a good receiver and gets on base. He's not Martin, but he's a solid backstop. If Martin walks, we'll be fine with Cervelli back there.

But if Martin does walk, we should use that money to bring in a first base bat. I like Laroche the best on this market, personally, but I'm not sure the front office would be okay with that. Second place goes to Michael Morse, who might be pretty shaky in the field, but the dude can mash the ball, and he should come decently cheap.

If Liriano goes elsewhere, I'd turn my attentions to Santana and Shields. Shields is ambitious, but of the true aces on the market, his contract will likely be the most reasonable.

Santana is a name I've seen crop up a bit more lately. Hearing AJ's name too, of which *blows raspberry*. He's not a top 2 guy any more. The Pirates need a solid #2 (heh, shouldn't laugh at that...yet) behind Cole. I know Pirate fans are constantly reminded that the cavalry is coming with pitching, but that shouldn't change their approach this off-season. I agree though, that if Martin is gone (please Russ, out of the NL central), the catching spot is Cervelli's now. I'd very much prefer that the money be spent on pitching, because if the postseason showed us anything, it's the importance of pitching. Masterson certainly looks like the now stereotypical "Pirates reclamation project" arm. The first base thing is going to be a super interesting thing for the Pirates. NH was on The Fan this AM and they asked about plans w/ all three of Davis, Sanchez, and Alvarez up for arbitration, and he said there's no scenario in which all three are back, but possibly that two of the three are. My hope is that they pick up a guy like Morse and keep Pedro. Depends on those numbers though.

The off-season certainly has taken a turn now. Only holes left that they'll fill would be 1B and starters. They have the money, especially without Russ, to compete. I feel like the 1B market isn't really hot, so they should take advantage of that.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Pirates have anything in the form of a competent MLB ready SS? The Mets have countless arms to deal.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Pirates have anything in the form of a competent MLB ready SS? The Mets have countless arms to deal.

Haaaaah...no. Mercer is the starting SS, and really they don't even have the depth right now that I can think about to even have a backup. Well...maybe we can sell you on Hanson. Once regarded as a top prospect in the Pirates stocked system, the guy has issues on D and mentally...but pretty talented, so there's that. Really the Pirates are loaded in OF talent and arms that are still a few years out. I hope one of the big name starters can make their way up this year. Taillon would've probably made the team last year until TJ hit, Glasnow and Kingham are a few arms that may move up quickly this year, mayyyybe. But probably not to the MLB level.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haaaaah...no. Mercer is the starting SS, and really they don't even have the depth right now that I can think about to even have a backup. Well...maybe we can sell you on Hanson. Once regarded as a top prospect in the Pirates stocked system, the guy has issues on D and mentally...but pretty talented, so there's that. Really the Pirates are loaded in OF talent and arms that are still a few years out. I hope one of the big name starters can make their way up this year. Taillon would've probably made the team last year until TJ hit, Glasnow and Kingham are a few arms that may move up quickly this year, mayyyybe. But probably not to the MLB level.

Kingham might come north with the team after Spring Training this year. He was solid in AAA last year, and I don't think there's much more for him to do developmentally. He can eat innings, which is exactly what his role would be.

Taillon could be called up at the end of the year, and Glasnow's probably still another year out.

Bell could be ready this year, too, which could help at first base.

And I think Morse and Lambo are a better first base platoon scenario than Morse and Alvarez, for the money. We could invest more in arms that way, bring back Liriano and target a guy like Anderson, who is basically a left-handed Charlie Morton with his ground ball rates.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kingham might come north with the team after Spring Training this year. He was solid in AAA last year, and I don't think there's much more for him to do developmentally. He can eat innings, which is exactly what his role would be.

Taillon could be called up at the end of the year, and Glasnow's probably still another year out.

Bell could be ready this year, too, which could help at first base.

And I think Morse and Lambo are a better first base platoon scenario than Morse and Alvarez, for the money. We could invest more in arms that way, bring back Liriano and target a guy like Anderson, who is basically a left-handed Charlie Morton with his ground ball rates.

I think a lot with Kingham hinges on who they go after in FA. Right now the rotation is Cole *insert large cliff* injury prone Chuck Morton, Vance Worley, Jeff Locke...???

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pending performances, I'd look to come north with something like Cole, Liriano, Morton, Anderson, Worley/Kingham as kind of a free agency goal, I think.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enough is enough!!

I... have... HAD... IT... with these monkey-fighting Pirates' discussions on this Monday to Friday board thread!!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.