• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: ESPN Rob Parker on RG3

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a vote (political) perspective - Absolutely! However, from a fiscal perspective, the poor are like gold to the Rep constituency.

That's true.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN’s Rob Parker says ridiculous things about RG3, takes ‘First Take’ to new levels of depravity

"[...] In October, 2008, Parker had to publically apologize after falsely claiming on Detroit NBC affiliate WDIV-TV that Kirk Cousins, then a Michigan State player, was involved in a fight between Spartans football and hockey players at a party in East Lansing. The problem? Cousins' parents said that their son was at home, with them, all evening.

'I was wrong. I apologize,' Parker said by way of retraction, after first trying to defend his report. 'I have reached out to the student-athlete's family and apologized. They have accepted. I also apologize to the Michigan State community.'

Parker also had to leave his Detroit paper in 2009 after an incident with then-Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli. At the end of the Lions' 0-16 season, Parker asked Marinelli if he wished that his daughter had married a better defensive coordinator, referring to Joe Barry, Marinelli's son-in-law."

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this Parker guy should of kept his mouth shut, instead of blubbering this nonsense. He wont be back, didnt like the guy before this comment anyway. I feel that Stephen A. and Skip always say the appropriate thing when talking about race subjects. But why cant they try to avoid these subjects, it isnt relevant to this sports show.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just watched it. wtf is this shit? i've seen more intelligent conversations on springer.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow what a joke, thats all ESPN is becoming though. I never watch it anymore, not even sportscenter. ESPN used to be my favorite channel on tv. Now I can't even tune in for more then 5 minutes without have to turn it to something else. Thank goodness for NFL Network cause without it I would never know whats going on in football. NFL Network is 100x better then ESPN (I don't care about basketball, baseball, hockey, etc)

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow what a joke, thats all ESPN is becoming though. I never watch it anymore, not even sportscenter. ESPN used to be my favorite channel on tv. Now I can't even tune in for more then 5 minutes without have to turn it to something else. Thank goodness for NFL Network cause without it I would never know whats going on in football. NFL Network is 100x better then ESPN (I don't care about basketball, baseball, hockey, etc)

Having a good twitter feed is all the sportscenter you need.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to say that is garbage. Imus gets fired, and Parker gets a 30 day vacation? seems racist to me. I know that the situations were very different I just cant help to think that if a white analyst (skip bayless?) even though I am not a skip fan, would have been fired immediately.

I don't agree with the double standard, but the fact that Rob Parker was talking about his race might have wrongly played a factor? Racist is racist and if it's not racist, then no matter who said it, they shouldn't be punished. But if Skip had talked about white trash, white men can't jump, or some other white person stereotype, would anything happen and would anything being warranted? I know the examples I gave aren't as bad as what Parker said, but let's say Skip says that (some white player) is almost black or something like that. I can't think of a good example, but insulting white people is not seen as strongly as anyone saying something about a minority or women, regardless of race, as bad.

Off topic, but talking about stereotypes, it bugged me how Danika Patrick said that it was sexist to see her as sexy and not as an athlete, but since I don't watch races, I only see her trying to be sexy on godaddy commercials. You can't use your body and then get mad about the impression you make. If she were just sexy but didn't market her body, she'd have a point.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with the double standard, but the fact that Rob Parker was talking about his race might have wrongly played a factor? Racist is racist and if it's not racist, then no matter who said it, they shouldn't be punished. But if Skip had talked about white trash, white men can't jump, or some other white person stereotype, would anything happen and would anything being warranted? I know the examples I gave aren't as bad as what Parker said, but let's say Skip says that (some white player) is almost black or something like that. I can't think of a good example, but insulting white people is not seen as strongly as anyone saying something about a minority or women, regardless of race, as bad.

Off topic, but talking about stereotypes, it bugged me how Danika Patrick said that it was sexist to see her as sexy and not as an athlete, but since I don't watch races, I only see her trying to be sexy on godaddy commercials. You can't use your body and then get mad about the impression you make. If she were just sexy but didn't market her body, she'd have a point.

By the classic definition of racism, racism can exist intra-culturally as well as inter-culturally. Additionally, wasn't part of this 'tard's comments based on RG having a white gf?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the classic definition of racism, racism can exist intra-culturally as well as inter-culturally. Additionally, wasn't part of this 'tard's comments based on RG having a white gf?

Racism is a weird concept in this country. For example, at Humboldt State University I had to leave class after an argument with professor Maria Corral-Ribordy when she told the class that minorities cannot be racist because racism requires one group to be in a position of power and gaining something/withholding something by the discrimination of the second group.

I nearly spit up my water bottle of Gin & OJ.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the comment, the actions by espn. my argument was that if a white guy lets say mike golic said something dumb about tom brady same type of statement, ESPN would have fired him immediately but this joker gets a 30 dya suspension its ridiculous

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Racism is a weird concept in this country. For example, at Humboldt State University I had to leave class after an argument with professor Maria Corral-Ribordy when she told the class that minorities cannot be racist because racism requires one group to be in a position of power and gaining something/withholding something by the discrimination of the second group.

I nearly spit up my water bottle of Gin & OJ.

Maria Corral-Ribordy has caca for brains. I agree with the weird concept sentiment. I was just saying to Toby in another thread that the word has lost nearly all, if not all of its meaning.

As for the water bottle - don't be spittin' up the G&OJ - that's alcohol abuse and cause for suspension!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm speaking really loosely here, as I'm sure I could find an exception and strict liability doesn't allow exceptions, but I feel that the "out of context" excuse in comments and the "mistaken consumption" of steroids, as far as public opinion should be a bit like strict liability.

As for the mistaken consumption tie-in, if you consume it and you can't prove some malicious bad act by another, you assume the risk and are guilty if they find it. The crime isn't "wanting to have steroids in your body," it's "having steroids in your body." Drink from your own body, get prescriptions and report them when you do. Your life is private once you retire if that's your concern.

As to the comments, if they were rehearsed, then I am going to apply strict liability and say that I don't care if you think it was taken out of context, you deserve every bit of criticism and protestation of your comments. It is used so much and lessens what criticism you get when you deserve it. People heard the whole thing, so there's no context we're missing. You don't get the "contexcuses" or the "ESPN knew what I was going to say" excuses. You said it, people reacted appropriately, accept it like it sounded like you half-heartedly did with the apology (I should have nicely questioned his blackness for having a white fiancé).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, the all encompasing "out of context" excuse. What a joke. I doubt he even knows what the word "context" means because that claim makes zero sense.

By the way, any doubt a white guy would've been fired had he made those comments?

Agree!! And not just no, but hell no - fired and black-balled!