• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not an expert either, but it appears from the outside looking in that since this guy is notorious for being a hothead and is hated by many fans, it is decided that he has committed first degree murder.

One of the headlines on ESPN is "Stewart sits race after hitting, killing racer." Maybe I'm reading into things, but there sure seems to be a hint of "this was no accident" here.

The dirt track would seem to one in which the driver isn't in control of his car. They seemed to be fish tailing (official racing term) around the corners. It looks accidental to me. The kid needed to stay in his car, or at the very least not play a game of chicken with an oncoming race car on a track that is designed for limited traction.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dirt track would seem to one in which the driver isn't in control of his car. They seemed to be fish tailing (official racing term) around the corners. It looks accidental to me. The kid needed to stay in his car, or at the very least not play a game of chicken with an oncoming race car on a track that is designed for limited traction.

The cars are much harder to control going slow in a straight line than they are going fast around a turn.

And NASCAR and most other closed cockpit forms of racing in the US does seem to promote the kind of hotheadedness that leads one to jump out into traffic. Yes, it was under a caution flag, but the cars are still traveling at highway speed. They seem to constantly promote the guys who stand on track and throw helmets and get into fights after the race. It's like they expect you to do that in the interest of the "show".

Now a guy is dead. Great show.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in NJ, where racing in general and NASCAR specifically is really popular. I tried, I really did. I just don't get it. At all.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Canadian racer believes Stewart, a three-time NASCAR champion, was trying to scare Ward by spraying dirt on him.

"I cannot believe he wanted to run over him on purpose," said Poirier, 42.

"But the impression that everyone had was that he wanted to intimidate him. I don't understand why he pressed on the accelerator."

The Canadian racer said hitting the accelerator is the last thing a driver should do when people are on the track.

"We are constantly told not to give gas when there are people on the track before the races, for example," said Poirier, a five-year veteran of the dirt circuit. "It's the same thing under a yellow flag. We just need to let the car (cruise)."

Some have suggested Stewart misjudged the distance between himself and Ward, but Poirier, who has 20 wins on the dirt circuit, isn't buying it.

"Stewart is a professional driver and he's won big races," said Poirier. "That means he's very talented. He was the highest-calibre driver on the track. You could blame a rookie for making a mistake like that. But Stewart understands these machines, he's a good driver."

Stewart tried to 'intimidate' Ward, Canadian driver says | AUTOS | Motorsports |

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unless there is footage of Stewart swerving INTO the guy... :noidea:
that's a fairly expected result for running into the middle of an active race.

Was done under a caution flag, no?

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to a guy on the radio yesterday talking about this. I don't know his name, but he said that everyone knows that drivers on dirt tracks rev their engine to get dirt off their tires and loosen up the track, especially during a caution flag.

He said that Stewart is not the only one who does it, and that he most likely didn't see the guy on the track, given the fact that everyone knows not to walk out on the track during a race, and he was wearing an all black outfit.

It's a terrible tradegy for sure, but I really don't think Stewart even knew he was there until it was too late.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think I used to take my Audi to Glenmore Audi in Calgary for servicing (I had the A4, not the S4).

A Calgary couple is outraged after a mechanic at a local Audi dealership took their luxury sedan home for the weekend.

Chris Jackson said he wasn’t told his Audi S4 was going to be driven by someone else for several days while it was getting fixed.

He said he only found out when he returned to the dealership on the Saturday to get something he forgot inside his $70,000-car. Unable to find his car in the lot, he asked where it was parked.

“And the dealer’s response was, ‘It’s OK, just go home, your car’s fine, it’s probably just somewhere on the lot. We can’t find it.’”

Jackson said he walked around the lot three times looking for his car.

“So I went back in and the dealer said again, ‘You just need to go home.’ And I said no, no, I need to find my car. I need to know where my car is.”

Jackson said after about two and a half hours of arguing with staff at the dealership — plus a call to the police to report the car stolen — it was revealed where the car was.

“They started calling their mechanics, and finally one of the mechanics answered and said that, ‘Yeah I have the car at home’. And he’d taken the car home for the weekend,” he said.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/audi-mechanic-takes-car-home-141355039.html

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
While I was going to university, I worked at a car dealership, and often took vehicles home (but never those that belonged to other people.)
I had a quite adventerous girlfriend through most of that time, and we took it as a challenge to christen as many vehicles as possible.
So there are over two dozen vehicles out there somewhere, that i got to first. :first:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ferrari-joyride.jpg

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think I used to take my Audi to Glenmore Audi in Calgary for servicing (I had the A4, not the S4).

A Calgary couple is outraged after a mechanic at a local Audi dealership took their luxury sedan home for the weekend.

Chris Jackson said he wasn’t told his Audi S4 was going to be driven by someone else for several days while it was getting fixed.

He said he only found out when he returned to the dealership on the Saturday to get something he forgot inside his $70,000-car. Unable to find his car in the lot, he asked where it was parked.

“And the dealer’s response was, ‘It’s OK, just go home, your car’s fine, it’s probably just somewhere on the lot. We can’t find it.’”

Jackson said he walked around the lot three times looking for his car.

“So I went back in and the dealer said again, ‘You just need to go home.’ And I said no, no, I need to find my car. I need to know where my car is.”

Jackson said after about two and a half hours of arguing with staff at the dealership — plus a call to the police to report the car stolen — it was revealed where the car was.

“They started calling their mechanics, and finally one of the mechanics answered and said that, ‘Yeah I have the car at home’. And he’d taken the car home for the weekend,” he said.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/audi-mechanic-takes-car-home-141355039.html

The mechanic taking the car home is a common occurrence when you've got a problem they're having trouble diagnosing, such as "it's making a funny noise" or "it feels weird on the highway."

For the whole weekend might be pushing it a bit though.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I was going to university, I worked at a car dealership, and often took vehicles home (but never those that belonged to other people.)
I had a quite adventerous girlfriend through most of that time, and we took it as a challenge to christen as many vehicles as possible.
So there are over two dozen vehicles out there somewhere, that i got to first. :first:

I was told there would be a "new car smell". This was not what I was expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.