• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my first jobs out of university was writing/modifying IBM JCL (job control language). Thankfully, there was some good documentation and I just copied a lot of existing scripts to suit my needs.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my first jobs out of university was writing/modifying IBM JCL (job control language). Thankfully, there was some good documentation and I just copied a lot of existing scripts to suit my needs.
I'm sure I'm Mattolling myself here, but my favorite tasks involved writing REXX scripts.

COBOL -> JCL -> REXX -> vbscript -> T-SQL -> Powershell -> Python

I've come a long way, baby.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young people will never know.

I had a recent project where the customer wanted to use google doc for order data. I asked if they can simply FTP files.

The recent college graduate, co-founder of a tech company, with a BS in Computer Science, from a major college, didn't know what FTP was....

:L
So did you expect them to know about Telnet, Gopher and NNTP, too? :D

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure I'm Mattolling myself here, but my favorite tasks involved writing REXX scripts.

I've worked with all of the bolded above. Python just goofing around on my own, though.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So did you expect them to know about Telnet, Gopher and NNTP, too? :D
I was really surprised he didn't at least know what FTP or SFTP was.

Maybe because I didn't format the google doc or use it that much, the spread sheet isn't so nice compared to Lotus 1-2-3 Excel.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really surprised he didn't at least know what FTP or SFTP was.

Maybe because I didn't format the google doc or use it that much, the spread sheet isn't so nice compared to Lotus 1-2-3 Excel.
Lotus Notes was da bomb.

I think that phrase is appropriate for the time period.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I took a COBOL course just to learn how programming worked. Apparently even though it was outdated it was still good to teach programming basics.
Plus my brother taught it so it was free. It's long gone now though.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took a COBOL course just to learn how programming worked. Apparently even though it was outdated it was still good to teach programming basics.
Plus my brother taught it so it was free. It's long gone now though.

I think COBOL is still being used by a lot of governments around the world. It certainly isn't as prevalent as it used to be, but it is still in demand.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think COBOL is still being used by a lot of governments around the world. It certainly isn't as prevalent as it used to be, but it is still in demand.
Is it? I meant my knowledge of it is long gone :)

It really was a legacy course just used to teach programming basics so I did not retain any specifics. I'm surprised it's still used from how it was talked about then.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it? I meant my knowledge of it is long gone :)

It really was a legacy course just used to teach programming basics so I did not retain any specifics. I'm surprised it's still used from how it was talked about then.
I took one COBOL course in college, at the end of my senior year. I had the choice of an interesting but challenging compiler construction course, or to breeze by with a data processing course (COBOL, unbeknownst to me at the time). I chose the easier route. I hated that language.

I was hired directly out of college for my COBOL knowledge.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez COBOL. To this day I have flash backs when the punch cards weren’t labeled properly.

Seriously I wrote a Hospital Reservation system in MUMPS (M programming since the acronym isn’t good.)

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez COBOL. To this day I have flash backs when the punch cards weren’t labeled properly.

Seriously I wrote a Hospital Reservation system in MUMPS (M programming since the acronym isn’t good.)

I've never heard of MUMPS as far as programming is concerned, but I find it hilarious that a hospital reservation system would be written in MUMPS lol

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never heard of MUMPS as far as programming is concerned, but I find it hilarious that a hospital reservation system would be written in MUMPS lol
Funny thing it was derived for Hospitals and managing electronic medical records.

Even funnier than that the acronym: Massachusetts General Hospital Utility Multi-Programming System

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's dumb people day on my social media. I've posted it before, and I'm not claiming to be a genius*, but without fail everyone I'm "friends" with who struggled in school (and some struggled mightily - failed, kept back) is a Maga supporter. That alone would make me question my support.

In this case they are bitching about Mexicans. If they are local to where we grew up, and I think they are, then its probably not Mexicans they are bitching about. More likely from a lower central American country. At least that's where most of the immigrants to my old community were coming from.

*Although Henchman magazine did have me as one of the 100 "ones to watch" in 97

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's dumb people day on my social media. I've posted it before, and I'm not claiming to be a genius*, but without fail everyone I'm "friends" with who struggled in school (and some struggled mightily - failed, kept back) is a Maga supporter. That alone would make me question my support.

In this case they are bitching about Mexicans. If they are local to where we grew up, and I think they are, then its probably not Mexicans they are bitching about. More likely from a lower central American country. At least that's where most of the immigrants to my old community were coming from.

*Although Henchman magazine did have me as one of the 100 "ones to watch" in 97
I smartened up my social media feeds by blocking most of the morons from high school. I keep aggressive Jeep driving muscly meathead guy and one of my exes because their lives are such trainwrecks beyond their politics that I peek in when I am running low on schadenfreude.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday in San Antonio Ronda Mason, a young African American woman late for a meeting, accidentally ate a Wheat Thin and became the first non-white person to ever eat a Wheat Thin. Congrats Ronda, and we're sorry!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I smartened up my social media feeds by blocking most of the morons from high school. I keep aggressive Jeep driving muscly meathead guy and one of my exes because their lives are such trainwrecks beyond their politics that I peek in when I am running low on schadenfreude.
30 day snooze is a pretty great feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.