• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Best rock/metal drummer still playing

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now, keep in mind I have yet to see RUSH live (which I want to remedy asap), so, I can't talk about Neil Peart. Nor have I seen Cream (Ginger Baker), The Who (Keith Moon) nor Led Zeppelin (John Bonham).

I have seen Van Halen, and would put Alex Van Halen up in the underrated drummer category, but he's not top-10.

I have seen TOOL play live not too long ago. Up until Thursday I thought Danny Carey was the best rock/metal drummer I had ever seen/heard live. Great feel and lots of rhythms, he studied a lot of strange African beats, a la Ginger Baker of Cream.

He is so, SO far behind Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater that it's not even a contest. Not a fan of that band at all, they are kind of "too perfectionist" for my personal taste, I side on the blues side of things which leaves room for "perfect imperfections" all over the place. But I did want to see what they sounded like live. Wow. Couldn't keep my eyes and ears on anything but watching Mike Portnoy play. He was pulling off some Ginger Baker and John Bonham shit that I haven't seen except on youtube. Just a monster on the skins.

And, of course, Iron Maiden was insane. Can't believe the amount of kids that were there, all decked out...and they knew all the songs, even the ones from before I was born. Seeing kids around 8 or 9 throwing up the horns and saying, 'Up the Irons' to everyone they passed wearing a Maiden shirt was a little surreal. But way cool.

Was also glad they put in "Hallowed Be Thy Name" into the encore. First time they played it on this tour. My fave Maiden song, glad they added it to the set in Vancouver.

Anyway just an fyi.

UP THE IRONS !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
fast forward a little. about a minute into the video.

Lots of neat arm flapping and very entertaining, but it's a standard 4/4 beat for the most part. If he's got all that time to show off, beat a little bit more on the skins.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kODO

saw these folks last year.
amazing

[YOUTUBE]pl-f5a7BgSA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alright, I'll turn my sarcasm detection device on. Hehe. He was entertaining, though, I'll give him that.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oooh...I'm gonna keep my eyes on you :eek:

WhoMe1.jpg

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i agree it should be him. that band was amazing. it is easy to focus on the guitar for white room. although if you actually listen to the drums you will hear how good he is.