• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Opt outs

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge blow to the Bears defense as Eddie Goldman has informed the team he intends to opt out of the 2020 season due to covid concerns.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outbreak in baseball, first week. I doubt football will happen, if it does, it wont be a full season. This season wont even count in history. Shouldn't be happening.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely won't be a full season. I see either a late start or a delay somewhere in the middle.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots have had 6 players opt out already including Patrick Chung.

Deadline to opt out is August 3rd.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams get back salary cap space for opt outs minus any bonuses already received. Player contracts push forward to next season.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lame lame lame.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams get back salary cap space for opt outs minus any bonuses already received. Player contracts push forward to next season.

Ahhh yeah...2 more years of Mitch vs. Foles postin'...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If baseball didn't stop over the Marlins. Football won't.

No reason for Eddie to opt out. Stupid. You're like 27 in pristine condition. Just follow the god damn protocol. People are working construction, other jobs, and making far less.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outbreak in baseball, first week. I doubt football will happen, if it does, it wont be a full season. This season wont even count in history. Shouldn't be happening.

Bet

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If baseball didn't stop over the Marlins. Football won't.

No reason for Eddie to opt out. Stupid. You're like 27 in pristine condition. Just follow the god damn protocol. People are working construction, other jobs, and making far less.

My guess, and only a guess, is the concern is catching covid and bringing it home to your family.

The average construction worker can’t take a year off without pay and still feed his family and therefore has to go to work. The average football player likely can.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest reason I wanted the Bears to make a greater effort at retaining Nick Williams was he's the perfect fill-in for Goldman, and the lesser replacement talent would have been minimal at worst.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommie Harris being out broke us.

Eddie Goldman being out will not break us.

Bring on the foosball!

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommie Harris being out broke us.

Eddie Goldman being out will not break us.

Bring on the foosball!

Big time run stopper and that will hurt the defense a lot.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big time run stopper and that will hurt the defense a lot.

There's no use worrying about it...It's done. He may come back before season end if this sh*t ever blows over...or he may not. Spilt milk. Other teams are going to have players do this too.

We've seen the Packers beat us in an NFC Championship game and win the Super Bowl with an entire infirmary of players...If Eddie Goldman is going to break us, we were broken to begin with.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no use worrying about it...It's done. He may come back before season end if this sh*t ever blows over...or he may not. Spilt milk. Other teams are going to have players do this too.

We've seen the Packers beat us in an NFC Championship game and win the Super Bowl with an entire infirmary of players...If Eddie Goldman is going to break us, we were broken to begin with.

I believe per the rules the NFL put in if you opt out there is no coming back. You don't accrue a season and your contract is moved up a year to next season.

Not saying it breaks them.....just saying its a really big loss for a team that absolutely needs the defense at it's best to have a chance.

I'm not a fan of PFF but they have Goldman ranked as the 17th best interior lineman over the past two seasons.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players that opt out receive a stipend of $150K. If they are deemed high risk for Covid they would receive 350K.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe per the rules the NFL put in if you opt out there is no coming back. You don't accrue a season and your contract is moved up a year to next season.

Not saying it breaks them.....just saying its a really big loss for a team that absolutely needs the defense at it's best to have a chance.

I would bet dollars to donuts if a player said they wanted to come back midseason that the NFL would allow it. The only issue would be the dollars/salary cap bullsh*t...but that's just what it is...Bullsh*t and they'd work it out. This isn't draconian level punishment territory...It's a guy that's worried then changed his mind.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet dollars to donuts if a player said they wanted to come back midseason that the NFL would allow it. The only issue would be the dollars/salary cap bullsh*t...but that's just what it is...Bullsh*t and they'd work it out. This isn't draconian level punishment territory...It's a guy that's worried then changed his mind.

Owners negotiated with the NFLPA and agreed upon the rules. The rules even include possible punishment for active players that violate social distancing rules by going to clubs or bars during the season. No ubers, no house parties, no hotel gyms.

So the agreement seems pretty well thought out and strict. I could be totally wrong but I really don't think the players can change their mind once they send a signed letter to the team opting out.

It's not a punishment at all....the league gave the union what they asked for.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners negotiated with the NFLPA and agreed upon the rules. The rules even include possible punishment for active players that violate social distancing rules by going to clubs or bars during the season. No ubers, no house parties, no hotel gyms.

So the agreement seems pretty well thought out and strict. I could be totally wrong but I really don't think the players can change their mind once they send a signed letter to the team opting out.

It's not a punishment at all....the league gave the union what they asked for.

Just setting up the eventual "Should they be let back" story...Media pressure etc...They can put whatever they want down...If a group of players applies for reinstate, I would bet heavily they're let back in after testing negative.