• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Only rooting for winning franchises

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something Ive never understood and want some feedback. Why is it if you root for the Lions all your other favorite team Icons are Detroit teams. If you root for the Browns all you other favorite team icons are Cleveland teams. But when you go on the Cowboys board the majority of there fans are also "Lakers, Yankees, Celtics, Bulls, Alabama Football" fans too.

Is it just a one in a billion coincidence that all the teams they root for just randomly happen to be the elite franchises or am I missing something. How come I dont see any Cowboy/Royals fans? Why is it always a 2nd team with at least 5 titles?

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban Dictionary: Bandwagon Fan

TOP DEFINITION

Bandwagon Fan
Anyone who claims they are a "fan" of a particular sports team, even though they had no prior support for/interest in the team until that team started winning. These types of fans only show playoff interest, have probably never watched a regular season game, don't own any type of team merchandise, nor would they buy any.
Everyone in Cleveland became a bandwagon fan only after LeBron James got drafted and they made the playoffs.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something Ive never understood and want some feedback. Why is it if you root for the Lions all your other favorite team Icons are Detroit teams. If you root for the Browns all you other favorite team icons are Cleveland teams. But when you go on the Cowboys board the majority of there fans are also "Lakers, Yankees, Celtics, Bulls, Alabama Football" fans too.

Is it just a one in a billion coincidence that all the teams they root for just randomly happen to be the elite franchises or am I missing something. How come I dont see any Cowboy/Royals fans? Why is it always a 2nd team with at least 5 titles?

A. Bandwagon fan
B. Local team fan
C. Local team fan except for that one lucky local team.
D. Grew up in an area that doesn't have top tier teams. As one of this, most people root for the top teams.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A. Bandwagon fan
B. Local team fan
C. Local team fan except for that one lucky local team.
D. Grew up in an area that doesn't have top tier teams. As one of this, most people root for the top teams.
North Carolina?????

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the Yankees - because you are a bandwagon fan,
I get the Pens because they are close - but
WTF? Detroit Lions? This should be good......

Megatron, yo! They're gonna win superbowls with him! :rolleyes2:

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colors of the uniform and a 1978 Greg Landry card. Kinda gay reasons, but it what it is.

Yankees grew up on stories of the Norfolk Tars.

Penguin were my youth hockey team name.

And as my signature says I bandwagoned on all three as a kid.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I follow the local teams I do pretty much for the sake they are local.

As for the others...

I follow the Sharks since that is what my brother followed, so I kind of piggybacked. Even though I have been in the bay area ~3 times in my life. Pretty sure my brother bandwagoned, so I guess that's 2nd hand bandwagoning? Well, now they are bleh, but that's a topic for elsewhere.

UCLA I mainly just follow because I have multiple family members that went to UCLA.

Chelsea was just me being a contrarian to my brother who was a Man U fan ~10+ years ago.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for me I live in Kansas so no actual sports teams in my state (The Royals and Chiefs are both in Missouri). My dad was/is a Bronco fan so quickly developed a love for them over that of the Chiefs. Plus live closer to Denver than I do Kansas City.

As for my fanhood of St. Louis Cardinals that started because my best friend's family are huge Cardinals fans and have been for generations. They have season tickets and would take me on a regular basis to the games. Loved the atmosphere of the games and just quickly grew to love the team as I saw the passion my best friend's family had for the Cardinals.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lived in Annapolis my whole life was young when The Colts left so didn't impact me too much.

Love the Baltimore Ravens that's why I have The Ravens 3x that's how I roll.

:yes:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Lakers/Yankees/Cowboys fan types always crack me up. I sympathize with guys who didn't grow up near any franchises, but I'm a loyal hometown fan, feel lucky that I grew up somewhere that had a team in each of the big 3 plus a fairly successful (at the time) Div I football program. However, got no time for some "big fan" of the Packers, just as an example, talking trash about great his team is and all the championships they have compared to my team when the dude has never even been to a game while I've been a Seattle fan since 1976 and a season ticket holder since 2002. People like that need to go find a Steelers fan to argue with (who probably can't even find PA on a map).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understood some of this. Only reason Cubs is on my list (and everyone can not really blame me for that, they have not been that great for years... finally putting something together but still) is because I live in Chicago, I don't care about baseball that much, and the Cubs are NL (not AL like Ms).

That said, if it was Cubs/Ms in the Series (lol) I'd root for Ms. As for football, all I root for is Seattle. Only way I'll ever see Soldier field is if Seattle plays there.

But yah, you better have a pretty darn good story if your teams are spread all over. Have a work buddy who at least makes a LITTLE sense.

From Indiana:
Packers fan - Dad/him grew up watching.
Wings fan - Dad/him grew up watching.
Indiana Pacers - local team he rooted for.
Cubs - lives in Chicago (obviously no teams in Indiana, etc.)

At least those teams are somewhat close together in a clump and there is no hockey team in Indiana. The closest one is the Wings outside of Chicago, but his Dad had apparently been a fan for year.

Still, that's a pretty good set of teams.

But yah, when it's Dallas, NYY, LA Lakers (bandwagon to Heat for a while) and Bama, give me a break. But doesn't surprise me. If they're from Dallas they're prob. a giant douchenozzle and need to constantly scream in others' faces that their team won, so they just pick winning teams and throw the 90s in everyone's face when people laugh at the Boys.

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodger fan since they were in Brooklyn.

Redskins fan from when I lived in Maryland.

Stepson lived in Pittsburgh. Take in Pens or Pirate game whenever out that way.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny......Dallas has been irrelevant as far as winning anything since many of you were school boys. Yet still lumped in as bandwagon fans. Maybe it's me but most Dallas fans from outta state seem to know the history and what not very well. Sticking with a team through all the disappointments sure doesn't seem band wagon to me. That's a fan regardless the zip code.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMFAO at PE1 the Fandom Cop. He can't get the Coyboy fans to love his precious Eagles, so he keeps falling back on his Fandom campaign. As long as fans don't jump ship when things go sour why should it matter where thier from. PE1 lives in Arizona shouldn't he now root for the Cards, D-Backs, and UofP?

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny......Dallas has been irrelevant as far as winning anything since many of you were school boys. Yet still lumped in as bandwagon fans. Maybe it's me but most Dallas fans from outta state seem to know the history and what not very well. Sticking with a team through all the disappointments sure doesn't seem band wagon to me. That's a fan regardless the zip code.

This^^

Friend of mine has been a Cowboy fan since the early seventies when he was a kid. Granted it was a good period for them and shaped his choice of favorite team but he has never wavered in his support despite some lean years.