• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Rag it" is Swedish for "those idiots are doing a line change while we rush the puck down to their zone"

Likewise, Sedin is Swedish for "'punch me or headlock me in a scrum"

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
grant_g_burke_sl_tri.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wake up little snoozy and get with the times.

Pettersson is Swedish for "looking for trouble's son".

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Rag it" is Swedish for "those idiots are doing a line change while we rush the puck down to their zone"

I'm not going to defend the line change but maybe help to explain it. I guess that's the best way to put it? Anyway, what I think may have happened is that they may have (mis)judged that Sparks could (and would) get to it, leaving him and Rielly with possession and 2 on 1 with Gourde back there. Still a bad change and as I said probably bad judgment if that's what it was because I thought it was 50-50 at absolute best if Sparks went for it (and probably more like 35-65).

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I think someone may have been shouting "rag it" is because immediately afterward someone clearly shouts "rag! rag! rag!" at about 0:06 here:

If it's the other thing, suspend him, but I'm not sold on it yet.

Probably more likely to be just a fine, no?

I couldn't think of a joke using "rag" that seemed appropriate and OK. I'm a little disappointed in myself.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably more likely to be just a fine, no?

I couldn't think of a joke using "rag" that seemed appropriate and OK. I'm a little disappointed in myself.
I mean, precedence has been a fine but the past couple years the Leafs have been used to break precedence a shit ton of times (Kadri's suspension in the playoffs, Matthews' contract, etc) so I'd bet my money on the league using this chance to give him a game or two.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to defend the line change but maybe help to explain it. I guess that's the best way to put it? Anyway, what I think may have happened is that they may have (mis)judged that Sparks could (and would) get to it, leaving him and Rielly with possession and 2 on 1 with Gourde back there. Still a bad change and as I said probably bad judgment if that's what it was because I thought it was 50-50 at absolute best if Sparks went for it (and probably more like 35-65).
This is exactly what happened. The second Sparks hesitated I said aloud "you're gonna regret not getting that one".

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I am the last person who now knows that the "r" in "rag it" was a typo and was supposed to be an "f".

Literally just hearing about this now.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, precedence has been a fine but the past couple years the Leafs have been used to break precedence a shit ton of times (Kadri's suspension in the playoffs, Matthews' contract, etc) so I'd bet my money on the league using this chance to give him a game or two.

I tend to agree, and if the League does not, I am thinking the team will sit him a game.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At another hockey board I frequent, I was surprised how many hockey fans didn't know what "rag it" or "ragging the puck" means - it's been around for some time (very popular during the 70's and 80's). Definitely not heard as much these days, though.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At another hockey board I frequent, I was surprised how many hockey fans didn't know what "rag it" or "ragging the puck" means - it's been around for some time (very popular during the 70's and 80's). Definitely not heard as much these days, though.

That is why I took the tweet at face value. Ragging the puck is as normal a phrase to me as "stickhandling" is. Its old school now? Learn something every day.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I took the tweet at face value. Ragging the puck is as normal a phrase to me as "stickhandling" is. Its old school now? Learn something every day.
You pucking rag it.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as it pains me to have to do it, I'm going to go ahead and give the NHL credit for this one.

Nothing was done wrong in the game, but they knew people were asking about it, they did a thorough, prompt investigation, made the findings public, and re-iterated the importance of the topic. Well done.

:clap:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as it pains me to have to do it, I'm going to go ahead and give the NHL credit for this one.

Nothing was done wrong in the game, but they knew people were asking about it, they did a thorough, prompt investigation, made the findings public, and re-iterated the importance of the topic. Well done.

:clap:

Meanwhile, the Toronto Star is like "OMG! We got one right!!!!"

giphy.gif

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've played for 35+ years at relatively high levels and I've honestly never heard it. Or if I did it didn't register. I don't know what it means or why, even now.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've played for 35+ years at relatively high levels and I've honestly never heard it. Or if I did it didn't register. I don't know what it means or why, even now.

It was a favourite phrase of Danny Gallivan...

Gallivan was known for his colourful descriptions of action on the ice. Hard shots became "cannonading drives"; saves were "scintillating", "larcenous" or "enormous" rather than merely spectacular; and, after a save, pucks tended to get caught in a goalie's "paraphernalia" (goalie equipment). If the goaltender made a fantastic or impossible save, he would refer to it as a "hair raising save" or that the goalie "kicked out his pad in rapier-like fashion" to foil a "glorious scoring opportunity". He would use words such as "anemic" to describe an ineffective offence or powerplay. He also coined phrases like "nowhere near the net", when a shot would go wide, comment that "there has not been a multitudinous amount of shots" to describe a game with a "dire dearth" of shots on net, would mention that a defenceman was "wasting valuable seconds in the penalty" when he was ragging the puck, and would almost always announce, "and the penalty has expired!" at the end of a penalty. Passes from the corner and through the crease area would always feature Gallivan shouting "centred right out in front!!". Players were also known to "dipsy-doodle" with the puck or come out of their own zone "rather gingerly". When a university professor wrote to Gallivan protesting that there was no such word as "cannonading", Gallivan wrote back: "There is now." The ultimate Gallivanism was another word he coined: the "spinarama," which described a player evading a check or deking a defender with a sudden 180- or 360-degree turn. Its chief practitioner was Montreal Canadien Serge Savard so that the move was also known as "The Savardian Spinarama". The Canadian Oxford Dictionary now includes an entry for "spinarama".

Danny Gallivan - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.