• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug MacLean is on Hockey Central at noon. They are discussing Carey Price tying Plante for most wins in Habs history. He is talking about what having a great goalie does for team confidence and how Price is the consummate pro.

He laughed at the Habs for taking him. And then picked Brule instead of Kopitar. Because their top guy, Jack Johnson had already been chosen.

I am not sure if there is anyone in hockey I hate more than Doug MacLean. I wish one of the two humps on this show would call him out.
Nobody in hockey media calls anybody out. Burke goes on Bob McCown every Thursday and spews the same shit weekly about his time with the Leafs, half of it is either wrong and the other half can be followed up with criticism of the event he's describing and yet nobody does it.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be great seeing her but I'd prefer to do it in another arena. I'd worry about the altitude affecting that beautiful voice.

I once saw Natalie Imbruglia perform at Machu Picchu as part of an Earth Day event and her performance was not good!

I really like Natalie Imbruglia (va va voom) but I really thought you'd be more a Sacsayhuaman guy instead of Machu Picchu.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing people seem to discount is Toronto coming in to completely fucking terrorize your organization if you even start whispering about fucking around with them.

Offer sheet Marner for a ridiculous amount? Cool! How fun is it going to be when Toronto hires your entire scouting staff away because they can afford to pay them 10x what they're making? Shiny new analytics guy? Funny, the Marlies need one of those and need to pay him double what you do. Don't own your own arena? Interestingly enough, MLSE is in the market for some new assets. Have fun playing every home game back-to-back-to-back because suddenly Taylor Swift has been booked for a residency in Denver.

I can see a Leafs GM being vengeful but this is pretty far out there. You need permission to talk to other team's staff. Unlikely to be granted under this scenario. I could see them maybe signing spiteful offer sheets of their own.

It's funny because a lot of people in the Lower Mainland feel the same way about Toronto as they do about Dallas :D

I have no idea why that could be. :rolleyes2:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see a Leafs GM being vengeful but this is pretty far out there. You need permission to talk to other team's staff. Unlikely to be granted under this scenario. I could see them maybe signing spiteful offer sheets of their own.
Talk to him in secret, have him resign quietly, hire him a month later. Deny to the death if anyone asks.

It will be peanuts money-wise for an organization like MLSE and worth it to scare shitless anybody else who gets any bright ideas.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing left for the Caps to do tonight is steal Gritty's lunch money.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

I remember when Canucks signed Backes to an offer sheet, and St Louis turned around and signed Steve Bernier to one as revenge
Was yelling from the rooftops to let him go for the picks, but no one would listen.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when Canucks signed Backes to an offer sheet, and St Louis turned around and signed Steve Bernier to one as revenge
Was yelling from the rooftops to let him go for the picks, but no one would listen.

I too yelled from afar, but alas none listened to me either.....

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

2nd intermission, up 2-0 against a team that has scored 3 goals just twice in the past 10 games

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the league has reverted to not calling hooking, holding, and slashing on Johnny Hockey.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff race is heating up and it looks like the Caps are finding that gear that no other team has (except Chicago). ;)

tenor.gif
:wave:

boston_bruins.gif

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just an old running joke on the Hoop, Craiggers. ;)

Boston is playing some fantastic hockey. Actually beat us this year!
Ahhh … din't know, but I couldn't resist my fanboi urge on that one.

Yup on the B's off-the-charts, right now. And doing it w/o Pastrnak. I just hope they're not 'peaking' … too soon.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cue the steel drums!

ovechkin-island.jpg

Flyers probably should have had someone watching him.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh … din't know, but I couldn't resist my fanboi urge on that one.

Yup on the B's off-the-charts, right now. And doing it w/o Pastrnak. I just hope they're not 'peaking' … too soon.

Caps playing some good hockey right now, too. 5-0-0 since adding Hagelin and Jensen to the mix. Last night was the first time of 3 games with Philly down the stretch. Ovechkin be like...

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps playing some good hockey right now, too. 5-0-0 since adding Hagelin and Jensen to the mix. Last night was the first time of 3 games with Philly down the stretch. Ovechkin be like...

I will go on record and call a repeat for the Caps. They will have the softest path by far for the first two rounds, and get the benefit of playing exhausted foes in the Conference and SC Finals.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will go on record and call a repeat for the Caps. They will have the softest path by far for the first two rounds, and get the benefit of playing exhausted foes in the Conference and SC Finals.
Maybe, but last season TB probably had the less-difficult path to the ECF and Washington managed to outlast them despite clawing back from 0-2 in round 1 and then having to handle the Pens in round 2.

I think once the playoffs start any notion of an easy out is out the door.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but last season TB probably had the less-difficult path to the ECF and Washington managed to outlast them despite clawing back from 0-2 in round 1 and then having to handle the Pens in round 2.

Randy's last playoff team would like a word with you.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For sure. I just like Washington's chances of making the ECF a lot better than TB give their likely opponents in the first two rounds. Not saying TB wont get there, but the easier path should provide an advantage.

My views are also influenced by the Leafs experiences back in the day when they had playoff success. They seemed to always play the full 7 in each series, and it caught up to them every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.