• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, I thought it was funny lol.

/If it starts becoming a recurring theme I could imagine some teams getting pissed off though. Don't want this becoming the NBA.

It was funny, but I have to say I dont get Marchand. If a competitor of mine was making double what I am for doing (arguably) the same job, I would not be making jokes about it.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Marner to get an offer sheet this summer and I think if I'm the Leafs I don't match it. Would save them money in the long run, get them some draft picks as well.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect Marner to get an offer sheet this summer and I think if I'm the Leafs I don't match it. Would save them money in the long run, get them some draft picks as well.

I dont expect anyone will give him $10.1M+ since the Leafs get 4 first round picks.

Will someone offer him between $8.1 - 10.1M and lose 2 firsts, a second and a third? Mmmmm, maybe. At that price, the Leafs match. All day.

An offer sheet under $8.1M? I doubt Marner signs that, and the Leafs will be starting around that number any way. Isn't going to happen.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont expect anyone will give him $10.1M+ since the Leafs get 4 first round picks.

Will someone offer him between $8.1 - 10.1M and lose 2 firsts, a second and a third? Mmmmm, maybe. At that price, the Leafs match. All day.

An offer sheet under $8.1M? I doubt Marner signs that, and the Leafs will be starting around that number any way. Isn't going to happen.
The question on Toronto (or Tampa or several others for that matter) would be weather someone has the balls to put them in cap hell.

I doubt anyone would have a real belief of Marner (or Point) playing for them next year, it would just be to try to makes things difficult at home.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question on Toronto (or Tampa or several others for that matter) would be weather someone has the balls to put them in cap hell.

I doubt anyone would have a real belief of Marner (or Point) playing for them next year, it would just be to try to makes things difficult at home.

A dangerous game to play, for sure. A GM signing either of them to a $10M+ offer sheet better be pretty darn sure the current team wont say "thanks for the 4 firsts". For example, lets say EDM signs Point to a $10.5M AAV. If I am Tampa, the idea of having EDMs next 4 firsts is pretty darned appealing.

And lets not forget, the RFA himself has to be willing to accept the offer sheet. For some teams and some markets, that is not a given.

Lots of speculation on this topic and will be a lot more over the summer. I do expect one or more RFAs to "Willy" it and miss the start of next season. I feel like the comp to any team losing an RFA is sufficient to curb any offer sheet enthusiasm.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say they could handle any storm that came their way. I'm sure a team like Toronto has enough set aside for a rainy day.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A dangerous game to play, for sure. A GM signing either of them to a $10M+ offer sheet better be pretty darn sure the current team wont say "thanks for the 4 firsts". For example, lets say EDM signs Point to a $10.5M AAV. If I am Tampa, the idea of having EDMs next 4 firsts is pretty darned appealing.

And lets not forget, the RFA himself has to be willing to accept the offer sheet. For some teams and some markets, that is not a given.

Lots of speculation on this topic and will be a lot more over the summer. I do expect one or more RFAs to "Willy" it and miss the start of next season. I feel like the comp to any team losing an RFA is sufficient to curb any offer sheet enthusiasm.
One thing people seem to discount is Toronto coming in to completely fucking terrorize your organization if you even start whispering about fucking around with them.

Offer sheet Marner for a ridiculous amount? Cool! How fun is it going to be when Toronto hires your entire scouting staff away because they can afford to pay them 10x what they're making? Shiny new analytics guy? Funny, the Marlies need one of those and need to pay him double what you do. Don't own your own arena? Interestingly enough, MLSE is in the market for some new assets. Have fun playing every home game back-to-back-to-back because suddenly Taylor Swift has been booked for a residency in Denver.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Braden Holtby wrote this article about his journey in hockey, Mario Kart, and the Stanley Cup playoffs for the Player's Tribune. I think my favorite part was that after goals and saves when he sprays water in the air, he follows one droplet all the way to the ice to stay focused and in the moment.

It's a really great read and well written, Holts.

Last edited:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because a lot of people in the Lower Mainland feel the same way about Toronto as they do about Dallas :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny because a lot of people in the Lower Mainland feel the same way about Toronto as they do about Dallas :D

Toronto be like:

ShabbyHorribleLeafhopper-size_restricted.gif

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have fun playing every home game back-to-back-to-back because suddenly Taylor Swift has been booked for a residency in Denver.

It would be great seeing her but I'd prefer to do it in another arena. I'd worry about the altitude affecting that beautiful voice.

I once saw Natalie Imbruglia perform at Machu Picchu as part of an Earth Day event and her performance was not good!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be great seeing her but I'd prefer to do it in another arena. I'd worry about the altitude affecting that beautiful voice.

I once saw Natalie Imbruglia perform at Machu Picchu as part of an Earth Day event and her performance was not good!

I'm thinking that's gotta be the first reference to Machu Picchu on this board - Leave it to comeds lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm torn about this response.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug MacLean is on Hockey Central at noon. They are discussing Carey Price tying Plante for most wins in Habs history. He is talking about what having a great goalie does for team confidence and how Price is the consummate pro.

He laughed at the Habs for taking him. And then picked Brule instead of Kopitar. Because their top guy, Jack Johnson had already been chosen.

I am not sure if there is anyone in hockey I hate more than Doug MacLean. I wish one of the two humps on this show would call him out.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Status
Not open for further replies.