• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think the Canucks trade Vrabata. He performed to well with the Sedins last year for them to trade him.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think the Canucks trade Vrabata. He performed to well with the Sedins last year for them to trade him.

Vrbata barely played with the Sedins in the 2nd half of the season ... and almost zero in the playoffs aside from the power play

WillieD was asked why he didnt play with them in the Calgary series and he gave the cryptic answer "some things are better to stay in the room"

not saying that Sedins and vrbata have some sort of beef but maybe they think he is not aggressive enough on the forecheck to play with them ... doesnt go into corners etc etc

at this point anyone not named Sedin that is over 30 should be trade bait for the canucks

trade value for Vrbata will never be higher than now

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also dont think the Canucks will resign him after he goes ufa after 2015-16 so why the hell not trade him

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I thought it was because they already hired Tocchet and he didn't like the idea of not choosing his assistants. Huh. My overall feeling on it though is there's no way a competent team (maybe they're not) can hire someone to be a dead duck basically. You don't make a decision to forgo a season simply because something is on the horizon. I'd hope not anyway. They'll hire him now and I'll get pissy about it.

I'm not saying it's a great move, and certainly would make the Pens look bad after Disco. But I can see it kind of like a playoff rental UFA. You grab a guy you expect to help, and if he does - great. If not, you go find another guy.

I can see the Pens hiring Johnston, hoping he'll be the best choice. And then seeing how the Pens limped to the line... If Babcock is available, you take that shot.

Not saying they hired Johnston as a sacrificial lamb, but I understand if they lose patience and cut ties considering who is on the market. Kind of like tolerating a shit season in a strong draft year, which I know all about. *sigh*

And I would be honestly curious how Babcock would do in a team that doesn't have as deep a system as he is used to. Pens do rely on big name trades more than development. And they have a solid development system.

Babcock somewhere like Toronto? I don't know how good he'd be.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying it's a great move, and certainly would make the Pens look bad after Disco. But I can see it kind of like a playoff rental UFA. You grab a guy you expect to help, and if he does - great. If not, you go find another guy.

I can see the Pens hiring Johnston, hoping he'll be the best choice. And then seeing how the Pens limped to the line... If Babcock is available, you take that shot.

Not saying they hired Johnston as a sacrificial lamb, but I understand if they lose patience and cut ties considering who is on the market. Kind of like tolerating a shit season in a strong draft year, which I know all about. *sigh*

And I would be honestly curious how Babcock would do in a team that doesn't have as deep a system as he is used to. Pens do rely on big name trades more than development. And they have a solid development system.

Good points. It'd just feel a bit...wrong, I guess. Suppose that's the business of sports though. Would I be interested to see how Babs did with the Pens weapons? Sure. And if he didn't do well, it'd be interesting to see what narratives come about. Suppose the players would finally get some blame.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it happening AT ALL. The reason this speculation even exists is because of Scarf Boy™. Or should it be Ice Cream Boynow? Anyway...last year when the coaching search was going down (keep in mind Rossi who was reporting this stuff, and at the time was still beat writer and not columnist, loved the old regime and was pissed that he didn't get an exclusive with Lemieux and Burkle), things began stating that whomever was hired could simply be a stop gap of a coach until Babcock became available this summer. So, the seed was planted long ago, and some people haven't given up on the crock. "He's said he wants to coach Sid! He coached Canada to gold!" Annnnnd his Stanley Cup success since 2008 (even give him '09 for appearance)? Right. Again, I love the guy, but it's just a weird thing for fans to be stuck on. Another narrative (one I sort of subscribe to) is that Moorehouse is far too involved. He micromanages things he doesn't know about (aka hockey), and if he thinks they should get Babcock, they will. And ANOTHER rumor is that the team isn't great financially (stable, but not necessarily making money) and Burkle wants out because he's a business man...wants to make money, not spend it. Lots of weird moving parts.
Honestly, the only time I can even think of a media storm swirling around coach/exec A wanting to leave for a specific team and the media spreading that for a year+ and it actually coming true was Burke to Toronto. If anyone else has any specific times, I'd love to see it.

And if the Pens aren't making money, yikes. With those TV ratings, they should be getting a fortune for their rights.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WillieD declined the Pens job offer last offseason because he felt they had plans for Babcock this offseason ... so theres that
Really? I heard it it was because he wanted beaucoup $$$.

Although if you're worried about job security, asking for beaucoup $$$ is one way of expressing that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Toronto's going the deep farm route. It's going to take years, though, which means what the fuck is Babs gonna do here for the next 2 years? It's never made sense to me - Leafs have no reason to spend a fortune for 2 or 3 years on a coach of a team that's going nowhere fast, and Babcock can get that money from a better club.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought WillieD wanted at least 3 years and the Pens were only willing to give him two max :noidea:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought WillieD wanted at least 3 years and the Pens were only willing to give him two max :noidea:

Related to willied thinking they didnt want to committ to him long term because he thought they had babcock in the wings (no pun intended)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I heard it it was because he wanted beaucoup $$$.

Although if you're worried about job security, asking for beaucoup $$$ is one way of expressing that.

Hmm lets see ... 57 year old career minor league coach whos dreamt of an nhl job leveraging suitors for more cash???

He may have been a tepid commodity but hes making peanuts

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the only time I can even think of a media storm swirling around coach/exec A wanting to leave for a specific team and the media spreading that for a year+ and it actually coming true was Burke to Toronto. If anyone else has any specific times, I'd love to see it.

And if the Pens aren't making money, yikes. With those TV ratings, they should be getting a fortune for their rights.

Yeah, that's sort of why I was hesitant to believe them. There's really no more easily marketed non-Canadian team.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where that rumor is coming from. The team looks fine on the latest Forbes list:

The Business Of Hockey List - Forbes

I hadn't seen this year's list. Certainly puts the mind at ease, but there are rumors from non-Rossi sources discussing Burkle wanting to sell the team. If he does, that's alright with me. No real worry about the team being moved these days, which is nice...and hey, maybe the the new owner won't live in Moorehouse's pocket. I don't know too much about other teams' presidents...but there can't be many others with a freaking politician running the show. Or maybe Moorehouse leaves when Hilary runs for office. Heck, he and Burkle can go together!

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe the Penguins aren't making money, not when they have Crosby in the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.