• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad idea...certainly stops rewarding "tanking" (or in the case of Edmonton just piss poor management). Whaddyathink?

One fan's plan to prevent NHL teams from 'tanking' for the top draft pick | NJ.com

Of course Pittsburgh would still be looking for their 1st cup but....

Yeah, I've seen this kind of proposal before and I think it does have some merit. As mentioned previously, I don't think players tank as much as coaches and management tank. Players are competitve and want to win, but coaches can healthy scratch guys and management can decide not to pick up players on waivers who would improve their team.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and post it on a hockey chat board

Their keyboards can't spell "SportsHoopla" (Northrup Grumman contract :rolleyes:). This and a site that sells Hula Hoops are the safest places on the Internet.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad idea...certainly stops rewarding "tanking" (or in the case of Edmonton just piss poor management). Whaddyathink?

One fan's plan to prevent NHL teams from 'tanking' for the top draft pick | NJ.com

I don't think it would help in the slightest and might actually make things worse. It may stop teams from tanking an entire season, but you're going to end up with bubble tanking instead.

You've got a team that knows they're right on the bubble at the 62 game mark. Instead of bulking up and really making a run for it down the stretch - knowing they're looking at a likely first round exit even if they make it into the POs - they're going to sit tight and be content to just barely miss the POs so that they end up with the #1 overall pick.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their keyboards can't spell "SportsHoopla" (Northrup Grumman contract :rolleyes:). This and a site that sells Hula Hoops are the safest places on the Internet.
Thanks for the tip...now I don't have to mess with those black sites anymore...unless this is one of them!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would help in the slightest and might actually make things worse. It may stop teams from tanking an entire season, but you're going to end up with bubble tanking instead.

You've got a team that knows they're right on the bubble at the 62 game mark. Instead of bulking up and really making a run for it down the stretch - knowing they're looking at a likely first round exit even if they make it into the POs - they're going to sit tight and be content to just barely miss the POs so that they end up with the #1 overall pick.

That's assuming that they have a better record over the final 20 games then a team that's not even close to the playoffs, but puts together a nice run in the final 20 games.

The thing is, if it weren't for Edmonton's inepititude, this wouldn't even be an issue.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the tsn story says wilson said ...

"The reason we took the 'C' off him...Joe carries the weight of the team on his shoulders, and he's got such a big heart that when stress comes on him, he lashes out at people and it kind of impacts them.

Gallagher was in the cesspool last week and said that Wilson had a deal to send Thornton to Dallas in the summer and Joe wouldnt waive his ntc ... so Wilson decided to strip him of the C

I think i believe Gallagher lol

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's assuming that they have a better record over the final 20 games then a team that's not even close to the playoffs, but puts together a nice run in the final 20 games.

The thing is, if it weren't for Edmonton's inepititude, this wouldn't even be an issue.
Right, but it's generally not a stretch to assume that the team currently in 9th in the conference will put up more points over a 20 game stretch than the team in 12th or 13th (I'm trying to leave out the Buffalos and Edmontons of the league here).

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all said, I'm of the belief that with a hard salary cap and a generally level playing field, all 14 non-playoff teams should have an equal chance of acquiring the No. 1 overall pick. Don't like teams that look like they are tanking, let's eliminate any incentive for tanking.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ehhh...I don't know. It's a complicated thing involving a lot of assumptions, etc when it comes to tanking. And sometimes there are simply teams having a bad year or bad luck. Where's the line between punishing and rewarding? What if one of those teams has a big injury in the last 20 games? Going to punish them for that?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all said, I'm of the belief that with a hard salary cap and a generally level playing field, all 14 non-playoff teams should have an equal chance of acquiring the No. 1 overall pick. Don't like teams that look like they are tanking, let's eliminate any incentive for tanking.
I'd say a system closer to what the NHL is moving to next year is better (did I really just say that?).

I don't necessarily think that the worst team and the 17th place team should have equal odds because a team could be just on a natural down cycle (we can't all be the Red Wings).

Instead, continue with a weighted system, but lotto more of the picks and don't have a guarantee that you can only fall one spot from first overall.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a sharks fan I can say this is going to be an interesting off season.

Was Wilson wrong in what he said? No. Should he have said it? Uhhhh...no. Not even a bit. Him saying that season ticket holders deserved an answer is wrong. There are somethings that don't need aired out.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does tanking bother people that badly? At most it's two or three teams a season that don't create a roster capable of being competitive, and often times it winds up happening in-season - as dumb as it sounds now, all of Toronto, Edmonton and Arizona expected to be competitive this season, while Buffalo expected to be competitive as recently as the start of last season before realizing they need to blow it the fuck up. I think people are accusing teams of purposely being bad when I'm reality they were just poorly run.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Wilson wrong in what he said? No. Should he have said it? Uhhhh...no. Not even a bit. Him saying that season ticket holders deserved an answer is wrong. There are somethings that don't need aired out.
Not only is he fucking himself out of his current job, he's fucking himself out of future work. Just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.